Windows 10 has disabled my MS Office2013

DDbkh

Last year I bought my current computer which came with Windows 8.1, I installed genuine MS Office - which was verified by MS and has received the updates as necessary.

When I 'upgraded' to Windows 10, a number of changes were made without my full understanding, the latest being that the automatic 'upgrade' to MS Office 2016 has now been deactivated and can only be restored by paying a monthly fee.

I am a home user and only really use Word and Excel and not every day.

Can anyone advise me how I can either restore the MS Office functions, which I thought I had paid for when I bought the program ?

Or is there a viable alternative that can be read by other MS Office users?

LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ is free software. You can create/alter documents in .xls, .doc, .docx format etc.

I dumped MS Office shortly after upgrading to Win 10 and went over to Libre Office 5 and I find it is better but it takes a little longer in the beginning.

You can do everything in Libre that you can in MS Office and it is FREE.

OP,

Can you clarify what your are actually running: a standalone MS Office 2016 or MS Office 365?

MS Office 2016 (like you mentioned in your post) is not a subscription service like MS Office 365 is. If you are confusing the two and actually have Office 365 (which is nothing more than a subscription based version of Office) installed which comes with a lot of new computers then maybe your annual subscription to Office 365 just happened to expired at the same time you upgraded to Win 10 and you are mistakenly blaming Win 10.

I would say forget about installing anything programs on your computer if you have a decent internet connection. Google Docs will run any existing excel or word document (except if you use macros a lot) and has the advantage that they are automatically backed up on Google drive and are accessible from multiple devices.

You can try it for free on all of your documents without changing the originals.

OP,

Can you clarify what your are actually running: a standalone MS Office 2016 or MS Office 365?

MS Office 2016 (like you mentioned in your post) is not a subscription service like MS Office 365 is. If you are confusing the two and actually have Office 365 (which is nothing more than a subscription based version of Office) installed which comes with a lot of new computers then maybe your annual subscription to Office 365 just happened to expired at the same time you upgraded to Win 10 and you are mistakenly blaming Win 10.

I actually bought MS Office 2013 - you maybe right that I inadvertently agreed to take 365, without understanding that a) it was going to cost and B) it would delete my standalone 2013. Thanks.

LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ is free software. You can create/alter documents in .xls, .doc, .docx format etc.

I dumped MS Office shortly after upgrading to Win 10 and went over to Libre Office 5 and I find it is better but it takes a little longer in the beginning.

There is MUCH more to Microsoft Office than Word or Excell....

OP,

I actually bought MS Office 2013 - you maybe right that I inadvertently agreed to take 365, without understanding that a) it was going to cost and B) it would delete my standalone 2013. Thanks.

Not sure what you did. I upgraded two machines and it's never asked me anything about Office....that would possibly be in some Office program/link you clicked and then didn't understand correctly.

You can have different versions of Office running on your computer...I've done it..and actually had Office 2003 and Office 365 (Office 2013 at the time) for over a year. A few months ago I uninstalled Office 2003 and just went with Office 365 (2016).

Now during the upgrade from Office 365 (2013) to Office 365 (2016) Office first removed 365 (2013) and replaced it with 365 (2016) without losing any setting/data.

But with you just installing Office 365 (2016) it should have left you standalone Office 2013 alone unless maybe it offered you the choice of uninstalling or keeping another Office version along with the version you are installing.

Upgraded a couple of PCs from 8.1 to 10, both running Office 2013, and it disabled neither.

Tried to upgrade to 2016 and there is some stupid error in the .cab files that I can't be that ar$ed to look up.

So sticking with 2013 for now.

The same happened to me. Office was given to me by a developer who had multiple licenses but anyway it's gone.

After looking at many of the free Office suites I went with Open Office. It works perfectly. I really only use the word processor. Occasionally a spreadsheet.

I also found Google docs does the job. I'm using the voice input to write docs. It works across platforms and is a good alternative.

I've bought my last copy of Microsoft Office. Screw em.

Why not use the online versions of the MS Office apps connected to your MS account. I find them perfectly adequate and they automatically save to One Drive. One Note is especially handy and now connects to Evernote so you can import all of your Evernote pages. You can also use the Android apps.

OP,

I actually bought MS Office 2013 - you maybe right that I inadvertently agreed to take 365, without understanding that a) it was going to cost and cool.png it would delete my standalone 2013. Thanks.

Windows 10 by itself will not uninstall any office suite.

As far as i am aware, a stand-alone version of office will not upgrade to a newer version (in this case 2013 - 2016) without additional cost.

What some OEM installations have been doing lately is installing Office 365 as part of their bundle with no subscription charge for the first year, but after the gratis period, subscription is required.

However, you have stated that you paid for Office 2013? Not sure what happened in this case if that is correct.

Any copy/unlicensed MS offices are now being found incompatible with Windows 10

Not too sure that this is a true statement.

Over the last 2 months, i have been asked by several people (6+) to look at their computers as their Windows 7 installation is suddenly showing non-genuine and in 2 cases, their office suites (office 2010 in both cases) appeared with the red bar showing as unlicensed. Just happened suddenly, mostly on a Wednesday or Thursday morning boot.

It appears that MS have eventually caught up with, and managed to release a 'fix' (likely through updates) for, one of the many activation tools that some unscrupulous vendors use in their bundled image software they usually add to a new computer being sold.

Said activation tool could activate both windows operating systems & MS office suites. Same tool (same version.......wink.png ) had been used on all computers looked at.

And Libre Office does that too.

And Libre Office does that too.

Actually not.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418419,00.asp

Pretty lame review if you asked me.

yes, so? what is your point, please?