Same day "visa" run to Yangon (by plane)

I've read many reports of people flying to Kuala Lumpur and returning the same day for a new visa-exempt entry. I found flying from Bangkok to Yangon with Myanmar Airways and returning the same day would be even more convenient:

• Slightly cheaper flight
  • Flight is almost an hour shorter
  • More convenient flight times
  • Flight out of BKK instead of DMK

Only drawback would be having to obtain a Myanmar visa in advance.

Oh and my Thailand travel history for the past 12 months

• 4.5 months with DETV incl. 1 extension
  • 3 months outside of Thailand
  • 20 days with visa exempt
  • 2 days outside of Thailand
  • 40 day until today with visa exempt entry + 1 month extension

I know too many back-to-back visa exempt entries might be pushing it, but I have yet to read about someone being denied one at BKK. I will have an onward flight and THB 20'000 cash on hand. After that I will go back to Denmark to obtain a METV.

What do you guys think, is this doable?

Seems doable if you have time for the turnaround in Yangon. Do not rely on being able to enter Myanmar and get back through security and immigration in less than about 2 hours.

Edited by BritTim

Same day to Yangoon?

I would anytme prefer Vientiane.

1h flight, visa on arrival (for most nations, a few exempt), no preparation needed.

All fligths from/to Suvarnabhumi.

Roundtrip from about 5300 Baht.

For those who prefer Yangoon: there are flights from Suvarnabhumi as well as from Don Mueang.

Roundtrip from Suv. starts at 3500 with Myanmar Air, 6600 with Bangkok Air.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Seems doable if you have time for the turnaround in Yangon. Do not rely on being able to enter Myanmar and get back through security and immigration in less than about 2 hours.

It's 5h between arrival and departure. Should be plenty of time :)

I would add that you should be careful of your assumption that flights to Yangon from Suwanaphum are cheap. Supposed 1,095 baht fares on Bangkok Airways are really about 3,500 baht after taxes and fees.

Expedia shows $105 incl. all taxes and fees.

Same day to Yangoon?

I would anytme prefer Vientiane.

1h flight, visa on arrival (for most nations, a few exempt), no preparation needed.

All fligths from/to Suvarnabhumi.

Roundtrip from about 5300 Baht.

For those who prefer Yangoon: there are flights from Suvarnabhumi as well as from Don Mueang.

What airline offers a 5300 THB roundtrip? The cheapest I found on Skyscanner was 230 USD.

Thank you all for the replies so far!

LAO Airline

As usual right day of week(Tue March, 22 in this case) and (maybe) "right time" ahead booked ahead.

post-99794-0-74779700-1457940270_thumb.j

Browsed through a couple of days, same price.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's 5h between arrival and departure. Should be plenty of time smile.png

I would add that you should be careful of your assumption that flights to Yangon from Suwanaphum are cheap. Supposed 1,095 baht fares on Bangkok Airways are really about 3,500 baht after taxes and fees.

Expedia shows $105 incl. all taxes and fees.

Good catch! I had not checked out Myanmar Airways in a while. Even worth asking the airline if you can do visa on arrival. They sometimes allow this for Myanmar Airways flights.

There is indeed a flight with Myanmar AIr for 3495 Baht return on selected date(s).

Bangkok Air is much much costlier, about 8600 return (with time for turnaround).

Edited by KhunBENQ

LAO Airline

As usual right day of week(Tue March, 22 in this case) and (maybe) "right time" ahead booked ahead.

attachicon.gifbkkvte.jpg

Browsed through a couple of days, same price.

Thanks mate

Looks like prices go up considerably in April (could it be due to Songkran?)

I might have to stick with the Yangon trip after all

Good catch! I had not checked out Myanmar Airways in a while. Even worth asking the airline if you can do visa on arrival. They sometimes allow this for Myanmar Airways flights.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that out.

• 1 month later...

Hi has anyone here tried the same day visa flight run successfully recently?

As I plan to do the same to KL this month... I had no problems booking the tickets on AirAsia

I already have 2 or 3 60day tourist visa, both with extensions & 1 30 day visa stamped in my passport too. Anyone think this might be a problem?

Many Thanks for any feedback... Especially w how many stamps u had in your passport & if it was successful...

• 2 years later...

Bump!

Yangon airport has no visa on arrival or am I missunderstanding things completely? I need to apply for the e visa before hand? Seems it can be acquired  in a day or less so no problem really. But I didnt really think and booked a flight to yangon in a week and I have less then 24 hours at the airport before return to Thailand, just to get a visa excempt. I pressumed it would be ok since doing land crossing they just stamp you in and out, not the same in airport? Can I stay at the airport or do I have to leave? I read something about not being able to stay at the airport in a tripadvisor thread from years and years ago. Thx!

3 hours ago, Kaalle said:

Bump!

Yangon airport has no visa on arrival or am I missunderstanding things completely? I need to apply for the e visa before hand? Seems it can be acquired  in a day or less so no problem really. But I didnt really think and booked a flight to yangon in a week and I have less then 24 hours at the airport before return to Thailand, just to get a visa excempt. I pressumed it would be ok since doing land crossing they just stamp you in and out, not the same in airport? Can I stay at the airport or do I have to leave? I read something about not being able to stay at the airport in a tripadvisor thread from years and years ago. Thx!

You have to have a visa to enter Myanmar. Without one you would not be allowed to board your flight to there.

Official e-visa site is here. https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Not sure about staying at the airport.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to have a visa to enter Myanmar. Without one you would not be allowed to board your flight to there.

Official e-visa site is here. https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Not sure about staying at the airport.

It was quite a few years ago they had a few rules such as   you had to change 200 dollars into local currency, you had to stay one night in a hotel, those no longer apply.

1 minute ago, Kaalle said:

Since I dont have accomodation in Yangon what do I put in the e visa application? Can i leave it blank?

I would not leave it blank. Pehap search for a hotel in Yangon and put their name on the form.