National Boozebuster Notifies Thailand Pre-Mixed Cocktails are Illegal

snoop1130

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is that Samarn character let to go on heading the alcohol control board? The man knows no reason or compromise and is an ultra-extremist of the very dangerous kind IMO! Isn't tolerance supposed to be important for Buddhists (at least the ones knowing, and not having 'forgotten', that Prince Siddharta for instance seems to have appreciated the taste of wine for quite a part of his life...)

I might be wrong being of the impression that "scriptures" are for individual interpretation so they can be bent depending on the morals of the interpreter, as opposed to " thou shalt not". That way it hasn't been necessary to formulate a different version of the religion so the merry old soul could do what he wanted and not be a sinner.

So all of these disgusting alco-pops in most of the grocery/food shops and 7-11s are also illegal?

attachicon.gifJ&C.jpgattachicon.gifSmirnoff.jpg

It would seem so, according to:

"Under Section 23 of the Liquor Act, no one is allowed to mix alcohol with other substances put it in a different container “unless the customer specifically requests the alteration of the liquor for immediate consumption.”

As would also seem to be the case with the cheap box wines, which are imported grape wines, mixed with fruit juice and packaged locally in Thailand for later consumption. There is a special orange tax seal for such mixed beverages.

So the my question is:

How can there be a legally prescribed orange tax seal for alcoholic beverages that are mixed and put in a different container for later consumption, when it is illegal to produce alcoholic beverages that are mixed and put in a different container for later consumption?

Edited by bubba

Also, what about the traditional herbal Thai whiskey (ya dong) which is meant to be medicinal. This is lao khao which is mixed with herbs in a different container, aged and then sold in that different container?

Should this traditional beverage be considered illegal as well and abolished?

Great. The <BLEEP>ing Fun Police are at it again. God forbid the youth and working class anywhere from softening their troubles for a while with a little - perhaps illicit but so what - pleasure.

Save us please from those who want what is best for us...

Somewhat agree with you, but drinking here is a huge problem with the young. Something needs to be done.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/WHO-report-reveals-Thailand-is-reeling-under-a-liq-30236548.html

The average amount of pure alcohol consumed in Thailand by each adult, (15 years and older), increased to 7.1 litres between 2008 and 2010, up from 6.8 litres between 2003 and 2005. The latest global average is 6.21 litres of alcohol per capita, but the figure for Southeast Asia is 3.4 litres per capita - less than half of Thailand's consumption rate. In various surveys published online, Thailand is ranked fourth-highest in the world for consumption of alcohol.

This is even more startling when you consider that 70.3 per cent of Thais are recorded as abstainers. The remaining 30 per cent more than make up for those who don't drink. The total alcohol consumption for Thai men in 2010 was 30.3 litres of pure alcohol and for women, 5.2 litres.

The way I understand it, a seller can not mix (pre - mix) together at home for example, vodka and orange juice and pour into a 10 liter container. But if he mixes ( mix on order) together at his stall vodka and orange juice, that's ok?
On the other hand, each cocktail would be then illegal.

This is only to stop them mixing fake cheap alcohol into the mixes.

Haven't you seen them for sale at the Cambodian borders? They have every brand, also copy cigarettes for 120 baht a carton.

Yes I think that has to do with food safety and relates here for small uncontrolled stalls, and not for controlled industrial mass production.

The operative word here is "pre mixed".

Edited by tomacht8

"Under Section 23 of the Liquor Act, no one is allowed to mix alcohol with other substances put it in a different container “unless the customer specifically requests the alteration of the liquor for immediate consumption.”

Which is exactly what I'm doing when I order lao pun in a jug isn't it ???

I reckon so, but if the booze is served pre mixed waiting for customers to ask for it, whether on site or in a factory that is against the law. Seems pretty clear that white rum & vodka RTD's (ready to drink) in little bottles or cans are gone-burgers.

Instead of giving this extremo-wally a job, just repeal the 1950's law. Give the people back their happiness please as promised!

The world has moved on since 1950

What is next? A teetotal Thailand riding push bikes & driving oxcarts, not even allowed a bit of homemade lau kow

Why is that Samarn character let to go on heading the alcohol control board? The man knows no reason or compromise and is an ultra-extremist of the very dangerous kind IMO! Isn't tolerance supposed to be important for Buddhists (at least the ones knowing, and not having 'forgotten', that Prince Siddharta for instance seems to have appreciated the taste of wine for quite a part of his life...)

If you look into Buddhism carefully, there is more to it than the Western opinion of it being a lovely, cuddly, accepting faith/way of life. I used to listen regularly to the Sunday sermon delivered by various Buddhist monks on Wave 88 radio station. On one occasion, a monk was talking about what could happen to people who commit sins in the their next lives. On the subject of one particular sin (I can't remember which sin it was), the monk stated and I quote "people who commit this sin could come back in their next life as a homosexual or even worse, a woman". Hardly tolerant.

Beer popsicles? I'm I on the right thread? Is this about the British guy who got a bj from a Thai bloke? He got his cocktail drank.

He ordered a c*#k sucking cowboy and received what he asked for!

..you spelled cock wrong. (large hen is a cock right?)

a large hen is a big hen

If you look into Buddhism carefully, there is more to it than the Western opinion of it being a lovely, cuddly, accepting faith/way of life. I used to listen regularly to the Sunday sermon delivered by various Buddhist monks on Wave 88 radio station. On one occasion, a monk was talking about what could happen to people who commit sins in the their next lives. On the subject of one particular sin (I can't remember which sin it was), the monk stated and I quote "people who commit this sin could come back in their next life as a homosexual or even worse, a woman". Hardly tolerant.

While driving through west Texas one Sunday morning, the only radio I could get was a church service--they offered a personally autographed picture of Jesus Christ suitable for framing

When you see someone guzzling pre-mixed drinks, who ya gonna call? Booze busters?

Hey Thai tourism department - do you know why most people visit Thailand? Hint: it's not to visit temples!

Oh, and by the way, when was the last time Thais worried about violating laws? No police, no enforcement, no solutions.

Common sense dictates that pre-mixed cocktails in containers where the combined alcoholic content and volume have been printed on a proprietary label would be allowed.

I am assuming that the law was designed to prevent unaware drinkers from taking more alcohol on board than they intended and this gentleman is just taking advantage of a literalist interpretation of a badly drafted piece of legislation (in which case a proper justice system would probably expose him to legal counterclaim, since AFAIK developed legal systems have judges who will consider intentions of law-makers at the time if there is a legal challenge).

PS - am I the only one reading this thread who does not know what "ice-buckets at KPN ..." is all about? This thread must have attracted only the dedicated hardened drinkers, rather than "beer softies" like mesmile.png. Please someone .. an explanation (without derision if possible, but if I'm being super-thick then go ahead)

Great. The <BLEEP>ing Fun Police are at it again. God forbid the youth and working class anywhere from softening their troubles for a while with a little - perhaps illicit but so what - pleasure.

Somewhat agree with you, but drinking here is a huge problem with the young. Something needs to be done.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/WHO-report-reveals-Thailand-is-reeling-under-a-liq-30236548.html

The average amount of pure alcohol consumed in Thailand by each adult, (15 years and older), increased to 7.1 litres between 2008 and 2010, up from 6.8 litres between 2003 and 2005. The latest global average is 6.21 litres of alcohol per capita, but the figure for Southeast Asia is 3.4 litres per capita - less than half of Thailand's consumption rate. In various surveys published online, Thailand is ranked fourth-highest in the world for consumption of alcohol.

This is even more startling when you consider that 70.3 per cent of Thais are recorded as abstainers. The remaining 30 per cent more than make up for those who don't drink. The total alcohol consumption for Thai men in 2010 was 30.3 litres of pure alcohol and for women, 5.2 litres.

How do you know the rest was drank by Thai people. Doesn't the Kingdom get like 40 million visitors per year? I don't think anyone is writing down whether it was drank by Thais or visitors.

Common sense dictates that pre-mixed cocktails in containers where the combined alcoholic content and volume have been printed on a proprietary label would be allowed.

I am assuming that the law was designed to prevent unaware drinkers from taking more alcohol on board than they intended and this gentleman is just taking advantage of a literalist interpretation of a badly drafted piece of legislation (in which case a proper justice system would probably expose him to legal counterclaim, since AFAIK developed legal systems have judges who will consider intentions of law-makers at the time if there is a legal challenge).

PS - am I the only one reading this thread who does not know what "ice-buckets at KPN ..." is all about? This thread must have attracted only the dedicated hardened drinkers, rather than "beer softies" like mesmile.png. Please someone .. an explanation (without derision if possible, but if I'm being super-thick then go ahead)

that'll be the sandcastle buckets filled with paint stripper, fake bull and rat posion which backpackers consume at various beach locations in the kingdom.

And of course....lets not forget the "buckets" in KPN, KPP, KT and etc......they're ok I guess?

Given they are mixed or altered on demand from the original container, I would guess not.

He would be to scarred to go to the islands.

Yesterday it was reported in the BK post that authorities busted a couple of bars in phuket trading with expired licenses and having tobacco bongs, the good news from this was that the alcohol confiscated would be donated to senior police.wai2.gif

Dear Bar and GoGo - Bar owners, it is not allowed to pour together the remains of several bottles of whiskey and sell it as “Jack Daniels Special Edition”.
Also the refilling from empty tequila bottles with water to produce Ladydrinks is not allowed.
Furthermore, it is not allowed to mix together the content of half-empty beer bottles, that have been left from customers, to produce a "new fresh" beer.

Edited by tomacht8

How do you know the rest was drank by Thai people. Doesn't the Kingdom get like 40 million visitors per year? I don't think anyone is writing down whether it was drank by Thais or visitors.

This was a survey of Thai citizens only. The report is online and you can lookup their methodology.

Dear Bar and GoGo - Bar owners, it is not allowed to pour together the remains of several bottles of whiskey and sell it as “Jack Daniels Special Edition”.

Also the refilling from empty tequila bottles with water to produce Ladydrinks is not allowed.

Furthermore, it is not allowed to mix together the content of half-empty beer bottles, that have been left from customers, to produce a new fresh beer.

Or pour "bath tub" booze into other bottles and sell it as the real thing. 5555