School administration in Nakhon Phanom demands 4-year-old girl to undergo HIV test

webfact

Despicable behavior and this from a school. If I had children on that school, I would find them another one. The ignorance is beyond belief.

Although I don't necessarily agree with forcing her to undergo testing! I can see the Thai logic in it. Aides takes months to show up in the blood. The girls parents are both afflicted with it so their is a better chance she has caught this disease from them. In school, children are in such close quarters with other students that it is more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student if she has it. But here is the Thai logic. Schools worry more about what parents say than anything. They want parents to keep their kids in that school. Parents that know the girls family all have aides are probably threatening the director about removing their kids from class. The parents probably aren't educated about aides enough anyways. But the director is demanding this because he has had it requested by other students families. Being this is Thailand, ignorance brings about fears and their fears take hold to make unreasonable demands. Just remember how one tambon tried to relocate a small community full of aides victims before.

You do realise HIV can only be passed through intimate sexual contact or blood to blood contact don't you? So rather than "more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student" the chance is just about zero in normal day to day life.

In fact, and especially in Thailand, much much greater chance of death from auto accident.

The school is in a 1980's time warp with the thinking to match. Ignorance breeds ill-tolerance, and worse, fear and hate. Someone needs to educate the educators about Aids/HIV.

From a personal experience, I was travelling through Tong Lang with my wife in 1986. I needed a pit-stop and we stopped at a set of run-down local shops that advertised out front "Toilet 1 Baht". I chose the cleanest shop, while my wife bought some mangoes I went to go into the hong nahm. I was waved off by a very vocal woman. My wife asks what was wrong. The owner said that all falang carried HIV and I would infect their (despicable) toilet.

My wife in her bull-dozer fashion told them they needn't worry about falang, but the Thai lorry drivers criss-crossing Thailand, taking pit stops at the cheap brothels. Then taking it home to the wife or gf. They were mortified that a hi-so (their words) falang wife told them that, and told us to leave.

My wife was smart enough to know this is how (in one way) it spread in Africa.

Edited by Mot Dang

Despicable behavior and this from a school. If I had children on that school, I would find them another one. The ignorance is beyond belief.

Although I don't necessarily agree with forcing her to undergo testing! I can see the Thai logic in it. Aides takes months to show up in the blood. The girls parents are both afflicted with it so their is a better chance she has caught this disease from them. In school, children are in such close quarters with other students that it is more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student if she has it. But here is the Thai logic. Schools worry more about what parents say than anything. They want parents to keep their kids in that school. Parents that know the girls family all have aides are probably threatening the director about removing their kids from class. The parents probably aren't educated about aides enough anyways. But the director is demanding this because he has had it requested by other students families. Being this is Thailand, ignorance brings about fears and their fears take hold to make unreasonable demands. Just remember how one tambon tried to relocate a small community full of aides victims before.
Good grief... Your comment demonstrates it's not just Thais that need deucating about HIV! Do you think the other kids will catch the disease by drinking from the same cup or something? Or by standing next to them in the lunch queue maybe?

You do realise HIV can only be passed through intimate sexual contact or blood to blood contact don't you? So rather than "more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student" the chance is just about zero in normal day to day life.

"The parents probably aren't educated about aides"

It seems that thesetat doesn't even realise that "AIDS" is an acronym.....so what can you expect?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Edited by cumgranosalum

I do hope you realize that a HIV+ person does not necessarily have aids. The incubation time for HIV is around three months give or take. If nothing is being done about HIV, eventually the cd4 levels will get so low that aids would be the next step. Luckily HIV has side effects that hopefully leads to the person seeking medical help. If HIV is detected, and depending on cd4 count, treatment is started. This treatment will ensure the condition never progresses into full blown aids.

The treatment will lead to higher cd4 levels and a viral load that becomes virtually undetectable, which greatly reduces the change of such a person infecting another one. Coupled with the environment (a school) makes the chance of infection zero or very close to zero.

The girl in question has already tested negative for HIV and it is extremely unlikely that she became infected past the initial test.

I don't see any logic here, not even Thai logic. A school should educate people, including ignorant parents.

Edited by sjaak327

The parents were tested HIV positive? and show no symptoms and live normal lives.And the girl has tested negative.My God! get these parents into a laboratory,their blood could be worth millions.Flemings discovery of Penicillin all over again!

Kind of missing your point here.

Or did you have one?

The parents were tested HIV positive? and show no symptoms and live normal lives.And the girl has tested negative.My God! get these parents into a laboratory,their blood could be worth millions.Flemings discovery of Penicillin all over again!

Kind of missing your point here.

Or did you have one?

KKdave doesn't know what he's talking about, he doesn't understand the history of penicillin either.

He is right, as when a school has an epileptic child. All teachers and students need to be aware of the condition and understand what to do in the event of a fit. The teachers and other students need to understand what to do in the event this child fell down and blood was coming out as extra precautions would be needed . If a second test confirmed she was clear, there would be no need for extra training. If it confirmed she had it, all of the children and teachers need to wear gloves and be a bit more careful in the event of an accident.
Your just as ignorant too. First, hiv is actually quite hard to catch. If a hiv+ person is bleeding you yourself would have to have a open wound for the contaminated blood to enter. Also if the hiv+ person is on ARV with an undectable viral load its almost impossible to infect others. People really need to get educated on this topic.
yeah I guess you are right! I mean what are the chances she gets a scratch and blood drops somewhere only to be touched be another student which happens to put that finger or even a toy into his mouth and it just happens the kid had a new tooth come out so a path is open until his bloodstream. Duh! Kids that age play rough and get cut. They also get new teeth and bleed in their mouths quite often. Kids that age are also know to put anything in their mouths. You do the math

He is right, as when a school has an epileptic child. All teachers and students need to be aware of the condition and understand what to do in the event of a fit. The teachers and other students need to understand what to do in the event this child fell down and blood was coming out as extra precautions would be needed . If a second test confirmed she was clear, there would be no need for extra training. If it confirmed she had it, all of the children and teachers need to wear gloves and be a bit more careful in the event of an accident.
Your just as ignorant too. First, hiv is actually quite hard to catch. If a hiv+ person is bleeding you yourself would have to have a open wound for the contaminated blood to enter. Also if the hiv+ person is on ARV with an undectable viral load its almost impossible to infect others. People really need to get educated on this topic.
yeah I guess you are right! I mean what are the chances she gets a scratch and blood drops somewhere only to be touched be another student which happens to put that finger or even a toy into his mouth and it just happens the kid had a new tooth come out so a path is open until his bloodstream. Duh! Kids that age play rough and get cut. They also get new teeth and bleed in their mouths quite often. Kids that age are also know to put anything in their mouths. You do the math

It's already been done and the chance is so remote as to be as good as zero.

Well absolutely zero in this case as she's already tested -ve.

Just Google it and learn.

Edited by apetley

Not quite zero has you know children are prone to cuts and scrapes so you may have a problem there, kid scrapes himself and the other kid has a cut even if not bleeding there is your entry point.

The fact is that any adult or child any of us could come in contact with may or may not be infected with AIDS HIV hepatitis or any number of other nasty diseases. Most show no symptoms and have never been tested.

This is why emergency services personnel, schools and sports people in other countries take basic precautions to reduce the chance of infection to a minimum.

Scaremongering by targeting only suspected victims is unproductive and ignores the risk from others. Typical primitive attitude fuelled by ignorance and lack of official advice and support for victims.

Imagine you had a kid in the same class that gets infected by this very girl due to some accident, would you still sing the same song? I think it's important that the teachers know about a kid being HIV positive so they can take precautions. It has nothing to do with discrimination.

Hoohaa

Then please enlighten me.

I was always lead to believe that Fleming discovered the bacteria leading to Penicillin,in a ground floor room in St Marys hospital,broad street Paddington London.Because he was working so hard,the sandwich made for him by a nurse was left outside overnight.In the morning Fleming noticed a bacteria had formed on the bread,Further inspection and tests on the bacteria led to the discovery of Penicilln,however,if you know so freakin much to the contrary,then correct me.I'm all ears.

It's already been done and the chance is so remote as to be as good as zero.
Well absolutely zero in this case as she's already tested -ve.
Just Google it and learn.

Yeah I guess you are right also... Nobody can get aides or HIV after they have been tested clear of it.

Not quite zero has you know children are prone to cuts and scrapes so you may have a problem there, kid scrapes himself and the other kid has a cut even if not bleeding there is your entry point.

It simply amazes me that almost everyone who changed my comment into an argument about the chances or her having HIV or about how unlikely it would be for her to have aides. Clearly you all need lessons in the English language, especially the reading part. The subject of my initial comment was simply what would motivate the director to make such a demand. You all also failed to read the first sentence. I disagreed with that action. I still believe this school director was making such a demand of this girl simply out of pressure from other students parents.

Hats off to this who did understand my initial comment.

Imagine you had a kid in the same class that gets infected by this very girl due to some accident, would you still sing the same song? I think it's important that the teachers know about a kid being HIV positive so they can take precautions. It has nothing to do with discrimination.
Its more to do with ignorance and fear of something most people dont understand but think they do. Take that case in Chachansow years ago where the locals thought they could catch hiv by breathing it in.

"Kids that age are also know to put anything in their mouths." - at this moment, the worst things in anyone's mouth are your words.

you obviously have no idea of the most basic rules of first aid, regardless of whether a person is known to be HIV or not. You also don't seem to understand retrovirals - why post on something you know nothing about?

The chance of my kids being infected are zero or close to zero. If the kid is on ART, the chance becomes even less. Not sure what you think those kids are doing, but direct blood contact is very rare, if it ever happens.

I wonder what ever happened to privacy, I would have thought HIV+ people have the same right to privacy as anyone else.

There will always be prejudice and ignorance about HIV until a massive education programme is rolled out nationwide. I know of a church here in Khon Kaen that has banned children from a local children's home, where some children are HIV+ through no fault of their own. I wonder if all their congregation have undergone tests for HIV. Having worked with drug and alcohol abusers for 36 years, many of whom suffered from blood borne viruses, I have learned that the risks are miniscule to zero. Basic First Aid practice is to assume that the entire population has the potential to pass on disease of whatever type. Always take precautions when dealing with bodily fluids! Use common sense just as paramedics do. Never victimise people especially children who may or may not (in this case not) have a blood borne virus or any other disease. There but for the grace of God go any one of us.

There will always be prejudice and ignorance about HIV until a massive education programme is rolled out nationwide. I know of a church here in Khon Kaen that has banned children from a local children's home, where some children are HIV+ through no fault of their own. I wonder if all their congregation have undergone tests for HIV. Having worked with drug and alcohol abusers for 36 years, many of whom suffered from blood borne viruses, I have learned that the risks are miniscule to zero. Basic First Aid practice is to assume that the entire population has the potential to pass on disease of whatever type. Always take precautions when dealing with bodily fluids! Use common sense just as paramedics do. Never victimise people especially children who may or may not (in this case not) have a blood borne virus or any other disease. There but for the grace of God go any one of us.

Haven't you ever heard of Cabbages and Condoms?

It simply amazes me that almost everyone who changed my comment into an argument about the chances or her having HIV or about how unlikely it would be for her to have aides. Clearly you all need lessons in the English language, especially the reading part. The subject of my initial comment was simply what would motivate the director to make such a demand. You all also failed to read the first sentence. I disagreed with that action. I still believe this school director was making such a demand of this girl simply out of pressure from other students parents.

Hats off to this who did understand my initial comment.

It simply amazes me that after 3 pages, you still can't spell the acronym "AIDS" correctly.

Then you have the audacity to say "Clearly you all need lessons in the English language, especially the reading part."

Your post has zero credibility, zero understanding and fails on every level.

Please try harder.

Fail.

and a kid could get bitten by a mosquito and die, or the school bus could crash, or could be involved in a motorbike accident, or could get run over by a car, or a plane could crash into the school, there is an element of risk involved is everything we do probably more so in Thailand than most countries, there is a level of acceptable risk in everything we do, a kid catching HIV from another kid is extremely low risk to zero at a level it is not worth a mention

This school - the admin - the parents - the medical people involved are all well out of order, it is quite frankly ridiculous, anyone trying to justify this is just as bad, HIV is a virus one of tens of thousands that we will catch from many sources throughout our lives, some are deadly some are not, some we won't even know we caught them, such as life. HIV is not even close to the worst we could be exposed too and is definitely not the easiest to catch

enough of this stupid talk and move on