Where would you go to get something precisely weighed?

Hal65

I plan on buying a few lengths of chain at Home Pro to use as small weights on my dumbbells (which is much cheaper than the retail options for "micro plates"). The trouble is weighing them. I want them to be 1/2 kg, which I think is too sensitive for those person-weighing scales outside the 7-11s to measure with decent accuracy.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a more precise weight measurement?

Edited by Hal65

Every food scale at the supermarkets will be precise enough and good for the 1/2kg range.

Don't ask me how the staff will react if you put a metal chain on the scale instead of a sack of potatoes biggrin.png

Sometimes the scales are unattended whistling.gif

For a DIY thread tongue.png:

"Build" / hang a simple beam balance.

Doesn't need more than some metal bar/rod and string.

Do you have a measuring jug by chance?

Fill 1/2 l of water in a thin plastic bag.

If not buy a 1/2l bottle of cheap water.

Hang it on your beam balance.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Go to Hardware house. They have a scale for weighing bolts and i am sure they sell chain or something else you can use. If you need better resolution on accuracy, put 10x the amount on the scale and divide it up. Otherwise just thread on a another wing nut onto your dumbell or something similar. PM me is you want, I have some weights for sale. Some are 1.25 kg.

Some stationary/office supply shops also sell inexpensive digital scales for those wishing to weigh parcels etc. before posting.

As an alternative to using chain, Thai Watsadu sells pieces of steel sheet around 3mm thick in sizes ranging from around 2 sq.in. to 12 sq.in., either square or circular and the price seems to be 7 baht per piece regardless of the size. A 12 sq.in. square weighs the best part of 2 kg.

I happened to take a pic to show a friend with a similar requirement when I was there last week:

post-14840-0-90738700-1458134318_thumb.j