Cant figure out how this is a scam ,but it must be .....

speedtripler

im selling A hi-spec computer on the classifieds

buyer emaIled me from "canada " and says hel take it

asked for my bank acc number and swiftcode ,says the payment will be in my account 2mo by midday

then i can ship it to him AFTER ive recieved the money

is there any way the payment can be reveresed after its already in my bank ?

i was thinking once after the payment arrives hess got no way to claim it back

unless hes hijaxcked someone elses bank account etc ??

is it safe to accept this payment or should i ignore it ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

asking question = gut feeling says NO.

have him send the money to a site like paypal, but NOT paypal......i wouldn't give him any information

then find out when it clears....then wait a little longer (what's he going to do, get mad?)......then after one last call to bank, send

but i would NOT do this transaction.

but, whatever....not my money

This is almost certainly a scam. Wire transfers can be reversed despite what many people will tell you.

Over the years I've heard different variations of what I suspect is going to happen here but the following scenario is something I've heard of before. do some google searches.

The guy in question will probably 'accidentally' send you much more money than you're selling the computer for and will then request that you send the additional funds to a separate bank account under his control.

This is a relatively common scam and they will attempt to draw you into it. You will most likely be left holding the bill and in worst case scenario you could be arrested for fraud / money laundering.

weve already agreed on 60,000thb or $1750usd

IF it lands in my account tomorrow ,il talk to the bank about the likelihood of it being fraudulant or the consequences if it is .....

it does seem weird,the guy didnt even haggle or anything ,he was unsure of the exchange rate so he sent a bit extra just in case lol

(as if he was spending someone elses money and didnt really give a fork came to mind :) )

i dont understand why he would need/want to buy something expenive from thailand
(land of scams etc ) and pay exchange rates + shipping when he could just buy it in his own city/country etc probably for cheaper (but 99% convinced hes up to no good .......:)

If it's the scam I'm thinking of then much more money than expected will arrive and it will be from a stolen bank account.

It will be interesting to see what happens here

Edited by ukrules

Why would someone in Canada buy a second-hand computer, even high range, from Thailand?

It just doesn't make sense. Not cost-effective with shipping charges, most people in the western world would think high risk too.

When it smells fishy, it is fishy IMO.

Why would someone in Canada buy a second-hand computer, even high range, from Thailand?

It just doesn't make sense. Not cost-effective with shipping charges, most people in the western world would think high risk too.

my thoughts exactly ,im just thinking if he dumps 63k in my bank tomorrow

how does he plan to get it back out ?

i had a friend paid rent money into a wrong thai account by accident ,the bank couldnt give a monkeys

and refused to even speak to him him about it as he wasnt the "account holder " and theyrer only permitted to

discus transcations with the account owner .......and hung up the phone on him ......

my thoughts exactly ,im just thinking if he dumps 63k in my bank tomorrow

how does he plan to get it back out ?

i had a friend paid rent money into a wrong thai account by accident ,the bank couldnt give a monkeys

and refused to even speak to him him about it as he wasnt the "account holder " and theyrer only permitted to

discus transcations with the account owner .......and hung up the phone on him ......

So he sends you the money but you decide to refund instead of sending the computer. You're still hanging out a mile if that money's no good...

Can you refuse the transfer as I can with my bank?

Edited by NeverSure

This thread is mcfishy. It will cost a fortune to freight it but there is no mention of that from the OP

thailand registered post is pretty cheap and the item was on sale fpr 50k but he offered 60k to cover the delivery

i can assure you there is nothing fishy onmy side ,im just wondering how he plans to scam me ?

(i am aware of the old nigerian scams where they send you a check and you lodge it and get hit weeks later when it bounces etc

but that is not the same as this ,although maybe similar )

Probably it's genuine. I've bough stuff from private seller's in the USA and have to pay up front of course but I think 10k was the max. Why don't you list it on eBay and have him pay through that?

well ,he c ould paypal chargeback me for 60 days that way .......if the moneys in my hands instead of paypals i reckon i have more control over it

+ id lose on the ebay fees and i personally hate paypal from past experiences

il talk to the bank and see what happens if he did in fact send it as he claims

and get the bank managers advice on what to do i suppose .....

Its a scam and an old one

• Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.

It Takes them quite a while to realise its fake and as said he will have sent you "to much" which he'll ask you to send back to him.

Probably a scam.

We just got scammed at my work in the UK for £800 which was sent BACS to us( bank to bank transfer)..it took the bank 2 days to inform us the money was a scam/fraud and the payment was reversed, in between time we had despatched said goods..

Money taken back, goods sent and delivered..customer long gone with the goods..we lost out..

Tell the customer you will wait 7 or more working days after the money is transferred before you will release the goods.

This will stop the scam.

2 things here, Paypal is now 6 months not 60 days.

If he uses a card to make the payment, he simply calls the card company and claims "unauthorised" charge. His wild teenage son used his card without knowledge.

I wouldnt touch this deal.

Can a Transfer Be Reversed After Being Accepted?

Once a wire transfer has been accepted by the recipient's bank, there are only a few circumstances that allow for the reversal of the wire transfer under the Uniform Commercial Code. The only available options for reversing a completed transfer are if the sending bank made a mistake, if the payment order was a duplicate of a previous order, or if the order is for an amount greater than the beneficiary was entitled to receive under the transfer. In those cases, the beneficiary's bank will recover the funds improperly paid to the beneficiary.

Can a Transfer Be Reversed After Being Accepted?

Once a wire transfer has been accepted by the recipient's bank, there are only a few circumstances that allow for the reversal of the wire transfer under the Uniform Commercial Code. The only available options for reversing a completed transfer are if the sending bank made a mistake, if the payment order was a duplicate of a previous order, or if the order is for an amount greater than the beneficiary was entitled to receive under the transfer. In those cases, the beneficiary's bank will recover the funds improperly paid to the beneficiary.

is this thai rules ?

and how can the bank decide that the amount was greater than entitled to by the beneficiary when they know nothing about the transaction details

or what was agreed in private between buyer and seller ?

If the money actually turns up ...play for time.

Ask the bank where it came from ... tell guy it's stuck in head office ...worry money launder ...should be sorted Monday ....

How did you communicate ...if e-mail ...where did it originate?

Then, yep I posted it but of course you don't...later sorry make mistake ... I was selling two ...then left ems or track and trace slip on the counter etc etc...just hope no mafia connection this end ....