Cant figure out how this is a scam ,but it must be .....

speedtripler

....Not at any point do they discuss being about how to take money from an account using just a swift code and an account number!!!....

=========== What part of "The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do." is confusing? The account number and swift code are not the only things already known about the OP's identity.

jpinx is wrong.

=============== There's the nub of it - desperation to prove someone wrong....

.... with the information in the public link.........

================ This not about hacking a bank -- although a cursory googling will show many examples of that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Not at any point do they discuss being about how to take money from an account using just a swift code and an account number!!!....

=========== What part of "The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do." is confusing? The account number and swift code are not the only things already known about the OP's identity.

jpinx is wrong.

================ This not about hacking a bank -- although a cursory googling will show many examples of that.

He has the OPs name. And what?

You're clutching at straws mate and have still not explained how it is possible to extract money using swift code and account number. Which is what you were saying was possible.

The links provided do not in any way explain how to do this. Stop banging on about other ways, that is not what we are taking about.

You are wrong, you know you are wrong, but are too stubborn to admit it. You're clutching at straws and I'm bored.

Edit: I bloody typed sort code again

Edited by Jay1

jpinx is wrong.

You're clutching at straws mate and have still not explained how it is possible to extract money using swift code and account number. Which is what you were saying was possible.

The links provided do not in any way explain how to do this. Stop banging on about other ways, that is not what we are taking about.

You are wrong, you know you are wrong, but are too stubborn to admit it. You're clutching at straws and I'm bored.

What part of "The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do." is confusing?

Answer only ONE question - do you think it is a good idea to explain how to do this in ThaiVisa? A simple YES/NO will suffice. ;)

Edited by jpinx

jpinx is wrong.

What part of "The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do." is confusing?

Answer only ONE question - do you think it is a good idea to explain how to do this in ThaiVisa? A simple YES/NO will suffice. ;)

Yes

Maybe it is now starting to click inside your head that that is what I am asking you to do

Edit: for additional sentence

Edited by Jay1

jpinx is wrong.

So anyone that points out you are wrong in a civilised manner is "desperate" to prove you wrong? I don't know you. Why would I be desperate to do anything to you?

You sound like you believe strangers are persecuting you.

Yes

Maybe it is now starting to click inside your head that that is what I am asking you to do

Even the unedited answer was sufficient to illuminate an attitude that perhaps needs "adjusting" ;) Publishing information about "how to scam" is not only unwise, it is irresponsible beyond belief.

So anyone that points out you are wrong in a civilised manner is "desperate" to prove you wrong? I don't know you. Why would I be desperate to do anything to you?

To baldly state "jpinx is wrong" is not what would be described as "civilised". I don't take it personally - - I don't give a rats fart what you think, but don't come the "civilised" argument against a background of incivility. If you want to discuss the lack of security on the internet, maybe some argument about the working of identity protection online would be a good starting point.

jpinx , I think you've been watching to much Television ..... maybe your thinking about the Leonardo Decaprio one on the cheque forgeries from american airlines or some other famous bank heist movie !! blink.png

Did you bother to read the links?

It is very noticeable the no-one has given links to anything substantial stating how secure the internet is, or how the scammers can not do x or y or z........

Yes

Even the unedited answer was sufficient to illuminate an attitude that perhaps needs "adjusting" ;) Publishing information about "how to scam" is not only unwise, it is irresponsible beyond belief.

To baldly state "jpinx is wrong" is not what would be described as "civilised". I don't take it personally - - I don't give a rats fart what you think, but don't come the "civilised" argument against a background of incivility. If you want to discuss the lack of security on the internet, maybe some argument about the working of identity protection online would be a good starting point.

jpinx , I think you've been watching to much Television ..... maybe your thinking about the Leonardo Decaprio one on the cheque forgeries from american airlines or some other famous bank heist movie !! blink.png

Did you bother to read the links?

It is very noticeable the no-one has given links to anything substantial stating how secure the internet is, or how the scammers can not do x or y or z........

Fair enough mate. We are going round in circles. Let's agree to disagree otherwise we will be wasting such a beautiful day typing message after message.

Have a nice weekend pal :)

If I was the seller and the money cleared as it did with the ID that was provided I would be happy. No, I wouldn't be worried about providing my bank account number and swiftcode, already on my website. As for the buyer, I'm always amazed by how much people pay on ebay for used items when they can buy it new for the same money.

It is amazing that there is so much information and news about security on the internet and yet some people refuse to look at the problem, possibly hoping that the old adage applies "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist". It is totally true that many people sail blythly through life, untouched by the grimy hand of the "Dark Side", but those people who are caught out suffer greatly, both financially and emotionally. To say that no-one has shown you how it is done means it can not be done is baffling at best, or arrogant -- which deserves it's own rewards.

Hopefully these links will provide some food for thought, but if the horse doesn't want to drink there is little point is leading it further...

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/03/8-tips-for-safer-online-banking/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/21/safe-internet-banking-cyber-security-online

Neither of these articles address the OP's scenario. They discuss the perils of Internet banking. The OP's case involved a simple wire transfer, something that long predates internet banking. The OP gave an account number and a Swift code, not online banking details such as a user name or password/passphrase.

It is amazing that there is so much information and news about security on the internet and yet some people refuse to look at the problem, possibly hoping that the old adage applies "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist". It is totally true that many people sail blythly through life, untouched by the grimy hand of the "Dark Side", but those people who are caught out suffer greatly, both financially and emotionally. To say that no-one has shown you how it is done means it can not be done is baffling at best, or arrogant -- which deserves it's own rewards.

Hopefully these links will provide some food for thought, but if the horse doesn't want to drink there is little point is leading it further...

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/03/8-tips-for-safer-online-banking/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/21/safe-internet-banking-cyber-security-online

Neither of these articles address the OP's scenario. They discuss the perils of Internet banking. The OP's case involved a simple wire transfer, something that long predates internet banking. The OP gave an account number and a Swift code, not online banking details such as a user name or password/passphrase.

I'm guessing you didn't read everything that was written after what you quoted,,,, ;)

Why would someone in Canada buy a second-hand computer, even high range, from Thailand?

It just doesn't make sense. Not cost-effective with shipping charges, most people in the western world would think high risk too.

When it smells fishy, it is fishy IMO.

my thoughts exactly ,im just thinking if he dumps 63k in my bank tomorrow

how does he plan to get it back out ?

i had a friend paid rent money into a wrong thai account by accident ,the bank couldnt give a monkeys

and refused to even speak to him him about it as he wasnt the "account holder " and theyrer only permitted to

discus transcations with the account owner .......and hung up the phone on him ......

That's what I thought. Telegraphic transfers require the consent of the receiving party or a court order to return the money. This is why they are considered to be a guaranteed payment for all kinds of commercial transactions worldwide.

Why would someone in Canada buy a second-hand computer, even high range, from Thailand?

It just doesn't make sense. Not cost-effective with shipping charges, most people in the western world would think high risk too.

i had a friend paid rent money into a wrong thai account by accident ,the bank couldnt give a monkeys

and refused to even speak to him him about it as he wasnt the "account holder " and theyrer only permitted to

discus transcations with the account owner .......and hung up the phone on him ......

That's what I thought. Telegraphic transfers require the consent of the receiving party or a court order to return the money. This is why they are considered to be a guaranteed payment for all kinds of commercial transactions worldwide.

And it's not only Thailand where money is mistakenly paid into an account is impossible to retrieve. My wife made an error on her mobile phone on a transfer involving Nationwide in the UK (customer friendly bank, don't make me laugh), the error was by 1 digit on the account number. Both she and the account it was being paid (mistakenly) into were Nationwide customers. We contacted Nationwide and alerted them within 1 hour. They failed to put a stop on it, refused to recall it (although their own &s's allow them to do so). After going through the complaint process and Financial Ombudsman we found the account holder had withdrawn the money a week after we had alerted the bank. The only thing they were obliged to do by the Ombudsman was to write to the customer asking them if they would repay it. The customer ignored the letter and it ended there. The sum involved was £300 or 15000THB. There are extremely expensive court actions we could have taken to get disclosure of the customers name and take civil action. Costs would have far outweighed the sum involved.

I suppose the moral of the story is once the money is in your account you're fine, and more to the point be very, very careful about how you go about these types of transactions, especially on a mobile phone where it's so easy to transpose a digit! sad.png

I was a little late of the blocks...

Nah, nothing of relevance was written after what you quoted. Your point still stands.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/FinancialScams/P1242561788639

....and scroll down to " Money Mules "

I scrolled down to money mules, read it, and still absolutely nothing related to withdrawing money with just a swift code and account number. Nothing at all!!!

Nah, nothing of relevance was written after what you quoted. Your point still stands.

I scrolled down to money mules, read it, and still absolutely nothing related to withdrawing money with just a swift code and account number. Nothing at all!!!

"...... The criminals recruit innocent people via email, job-search websites, adverts etc ..... "

To focus on the swift and account numers is folly, which the scammer relies on. The OP has posted enough other info to give a lot of information about himself. Imagine if you knew that some scammer has your name, address, phone numbers, birthdate, email address, bank account number, and a bunch of other stuff that can be gleaned easily from the internet -- you feel secure?

Edited by jpinx

"...... The criminals recruit innocent people via email, job-search websites, adverts etc ..... "

Yes, I read it. And what part does that say how to take money from someone's account using their swift code and account number? It doesn't!!!!!!

Edit: forgot to type 'number'

Edited by Jay1

Oooops -- I edited it while you were replying wink.png Maybe we should type "Over" when editing has stopped smile.png

Over.............. clap2.gif

No you are right I wouldn't feel safe.... But,,, the OP hasn't given all of those things.

And mate, it still hasn't been explained how someone can take money using an account number and swift code.

But you are right in terms of feeling safe. If for example, you asked me for my banks swift code and account number, I would say no. Why? Because I wouldn't feel safe haha

So yeah I do see what your saying mate :)

Oooops -- I edited it while you were replying wink.png Maybe we should type "Over" when editing has stopped smile.png

No you are right I wouldn't feel safe.... But,,, the OP hasn't given all of those things.

And mate, it still hasn't been explained how someone can take money using an account number and swift code.

But you are right in terms of feeling safe. If for example, you asked me for my banks swift code and account number, I would say no. Why? Because I wouldn't feel safe haha

So yeah I do see what your saying mate smile.png

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. ;)

Look at what the OP gave the buyer. Name, address, email, bank account, probably phone numbers too. That's a good start and a professional scammer will make short work of trawling places like ThaiVisa for postings giving other clues about the OP - maybe birthdate, various nicknames, other sites he logs into, etc, etc. There may well be a reference to his passport in TV. This is huge business on the internet. Lists of identities are bought and sold for big money and if you're on one of those lists, your id will be passed on to someone who might just call you one day with an interesting offer to install double-glazing free if their "engineers" can come and look over your property......

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? ;)

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. ;)

Look at what the OP gave the buyer. Name, address, email, bank account, probably phone numbers too. That's a good start and a professional scammer will make short work of trawling places like ThaiVisa for postings giving other clues about the OP - maybe birthdate, various nicknames, other sites he logs into, etc, etc. There may well be a reference to his passport in TV. This is huge business on the internet. Lists of identities are bought and sold for big money and if you're on one of those lists, your id will be passed on to someone who might just call you one day with an interesting offer to install double-glazing free if their "engineers" can come and look over your property......

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? ;)

I'm not worried, just saying I see what your saying haha

And I am still not convinced that someone can take money with account number and swift code... Which was the original debate.

But let's draw a line under this, as I need a coffee too!! Haha :)

And it's not only Thailand where money is mistakenly paid into an account is impossible to retrieve. My wife made an error on her mobile phone on a transfer involving Nationwide in the UK (customer friendly bank, don't make me laugh), the error was by 1 digit on the account number. Both she and the account it was being paid (mistakenly) into were Nationwide customers. We contacted Nationwide and alerted them within 1 hour. They failed to put a stop on it, refused to recall it (although their own &s's allow them to do so). After going through the complaint process and Financial Ombudsman we found the account holder had withdrawn the money a week after we had alerted the bank. The only thing they were obliged to do by the Ombudsman was to write to the customer asking them if they would repay it. The customer ignored the letter and it ended there. The sum involved was £300 or 15000THB. There are extremely expensive court actions we could have taken to get disclosure of the customers name and take civil action. Costs would have far outweighed the sum involved.

I suppose the moral of the story is once the money is in your account you're fine, and more to the point be very, very careful about how you go about these types of transactions, especially on a mobile phone where it's so easy to transpose a digit! sad.png

I'm sorry to hear that you lost 300 quid, and you're not the only one - I've read stories in the Australian press about people typing in the wrong account number and losing their money. What makes it worse is that, while banks ask you for the name of the receiver on the transfer form, the system only reads the account number and still pays out the cash. Even if the receiving account has a name different from the one you put on the transfer form - you could use the name Mickey Mouse as the receiving party - the transaction would still go through.

Try complaining, and they'll direct you to the small print as you know.

Having read horror stories, I scrutinise account numbers before hitting the 'confirm' button. I have saved a (thrice checked) list of account numbers that I frequently use, which I then copy and paste to the on-line payment form to eliminate the possibility of a typo.

Edited by dbrenn

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. wink.png

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? wink.png

yes go have your coffee. after 4 pages of crap you need it

So many dummies posting. It makes sense why there are so many threads about Thai girls taking money.

But enough of that.. I've got a great investment opportunity if anyone wants to make some easy cash!

I've got 10 million USD from Iraq. It's covered in secret ink to make it easy to take out of the country. I just need the special dye to remove the ink from it. The dye costs 100,000baht. Anyone want to invest?

Very happy it worked out well for you -- so far -- now keep a sharp eye on your bank account for transactions that you don't recognise. There's a very good reason for *not* giving your bank details to strangers -- ask around the "Nigerian Prince" et al if you don't know about this.

for the record ,i remmoved the money and the account is now empty (just in case for the sake of paranoia )

but i have faith in what kasikorn said that it cannot be reveresed without my permission no matter who wants it

the canadians should have stopped it leaving their system if it was fraudulant ,but all the documents were in order

including his passport ,the transfer statements and account numbers and names all matched up ...etc and he gave me his branch phone number to confirm

if i still want more confirmation.............

i will watch the accoutn over the next month or two but i think its a done deal at this stage and neither party can back out now

(would havwe been very interesting if i decided to keep the laptop and his money lol but i guess hes lucky im as honest as he is ) smile.png