Cant figure out how this is a scam ,but it must be .....

speedtripler

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you trust someone in thailand to deliver the goods? I have enough trouble using my thai credit card on some sites...

Hes offering the cash without any sort of escrow or paypal protection... tell him you want a 2 week cooling off period before you dispatch the item.. check his reaction

any update speedtripler .... ? blink.png

he was legit after all ..........dont ask me why or how....im as perplexed as everyone else

but he provided his passport and matvhing id to confirm he owned that account

then i went to kbank and they said they money is already cleared ,there is no way anyone can take it out

even if we wanted to ,we couldnt without your written persmission .......the canadian bank should have prevented it being sent

if theywere suspicious but theres zilch they can do now ..............

he was legit after all ..........dont ask me why or how....im as perplexed as everyone else

then i went to kbank and they said they money is already cleared ,there is no way anyone can take it out

even if we wanted to ,we couldnt without your written persmission .......the canadian bank should have prevented it being sent

So far so good. Was it the exact correct amount?

it was 400 thb too much but i would blame that on a flucuating exchange rate more than the sender himself

,by the time kbank recieved it the rate may have improved since he sent it

it was 400 thb too much but i would blame that on a flucuating exchange rate more than the sender himself

Good stuff mate! Seems like all is well! To be fair if I was him I would never have sent that cash to a random guy in Thailand haha

Seems his innocent outlook on life has not been tainted yet haha

100 replies of DON'T DO IT....and the OP does it!!

UPDATE: OP's bank account frozen, computer turned over to authorities, found bad stuff, fine is 100 million baht, in prison, and will soon post thread....ANYONE KNOW A GOOD LAWYER???

weve already agreed on 60,000thb or $1750usd

IF it lands in my account tomorrow ,il talk to the bank about the likelihood of it being fraudulant or the consequences if it is .....

it does seem weird,the guy didnt even haggle or anything ,he was unsure of the exchange rate so he sent a bit extra just in case lol

(as if he was spending someone elses money and didnt really give a fork came to mind smile.png )

i dont understand why he would need/want to buy something expenive from thailand

(land of scams etc ) and pay exchange rates + shipping when he could just buy it in his own city/country etc probably for cheaper (but 99% convinced hes up to no good .......smile.png

If it doesn't make sense - then it is likely a scam of some sort - no need to figure it out. Likelihood is high that you will not come out of it too well. It is like playing 3 card monte on the street - chances are it will not work out in your favor. Just walk away.

Scam ??? Of course it is -- "..... asked for my bank acc number and swiftcode ......" There it is -- right there in plain sight. Supply those details and watch your balance vanish :)

So, how can he take the OP's money with just the account number and swift code.? You are certain it will happen, so how?

Scam ??? Of course it is -- "..... asked for my bank acc number and swiftcode ......" There it is -- right there in plain sight. Supply those details and watch your balance vanish smile.png

rubbish ... ! no one can take your money from your account just by knowing your account number and bank swift code.

better take your medication .... blink.png

Very happy it worked out well for you -- so far -- now keep a sharp eye on your bank account for transactions that you don't recognise. There's a very good reason for *not* giving your bank details to strangers -- ask around the "Nigerian Prince" et al if you don't know about this.

.....so many internet novices smile.png

You still haven't explained how he can take the OP's money with just his account number and swift code.

Really?? Is there some expectation that ThaiVisa should provide a forum for people to explain how to break into someone's bank account.? As I said -- too many trusting individuals and too many scammers and too many leaky bank accounts.

You still haven't explained how he can take the OP's money with just his account number and swift code.

Really?? Is there some expectation that ThaiVisa should provide a forum for people to explain how to break into someone's bank account.? As I said -- too many trusting individuals and too many scammers and too many leaky bank accounts.

So in short, you actually have no idea.

It is amazing that there is so much information and news about security on the internet and yet some people refuse to look at the problem, possibly hoping that the old adage applies "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist". It is totally true that many people sail blythly through life, untouched by the grimy hand of the "Dark Side", but those people who are caught out suffer greatly, both financially and emotionally. To say that no-one has shown you how it is done means it can not be done is baffling at best, or arrogant -- which deserves it's own rewards.

Hopefully these links will provide some food for thought, but if the horse doesn't want to drink there is little point is leading it further...

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/03/8-tips-for-safer-online-banking/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/21/safe-internet-banking-cyber-security-online

SWIFT codes are available on the internet for all to see, and cheques have account number and sort code on them, are you saying that cheques are totally unsafe and that every one you write is an invitation for someone to drain your account ?

Absolute tosh !

It is amazing that there is so much information and news about security on the internet and yet some people refuse to look at the problem, possibly hoping that the old adage applies "If I can't see it, it doesn't exist". It is totally true that many people sail blythly through life, untouched by the grimy hand of the "Dark Side", but those people who are caught out suffer greatly, both financially and emotionally. To say that no-one has shown you how it is done means it can not be done is baffling at best, or arrogant -- which deserves it's own rewards.

Hopefully these links will provide some food for thought, but if the horse doesn't want to drink there is little point is leading it further...

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/21/safe-internet-banking-cyber-security-online

You seem to be confusing online banking details with account numbers - totally different.

Has nothing to do with taking money from just obtaining bank account numbers and swift codes.

You made such a bold statement saying the OP's balance would vanish due to giving those details but you have nothing to back it up with.

Me thinks you were just typing anything to put the fear into the OP.

Edit: I typed sort codes. Meant swift codes.

Edited by Jay1

You seem to be confusing online banking details with account numbers - totally different.

The horse has been lead to the water, but refuses to drink. One wonders if the links were actually read, or is the blind necessity of being "right" now masking the fear of being wrong?

Take a look at the Guardian article - it explains one of the much more obvious scams. The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do.

The horse has been lead to the water, but refuses to drink. One wonders if the links were actually read, or is the blind necessity of being "right" now masking the fear of being wrong?

Take a look at the Guardian article - it explains one of the much more obvious scams. The Guardian does not want to explain the extrapolation of this or any other method any more than I do.

I have read both articles fully! Both are talking about online banking fraud.

Not at any point do they discuss being about how to take money from an account using just a swift code and an account number!!!

Give it up!

Edit: punctuation

Edited by Jay1