Cant figure out how this is a scam ,but it must be .....

speedtripler

Very happy it worked out well for you -- so far -- now keep a sharp eye on your bank account for transactions that you don't recognise. There's a very good reason for *not* giving your bank details to strangers -- ask around the "Nigerian Prince" et al if you don't know about this.

for the record ,i remmoved the money and the account is now empty (just in case for the sake of paranoia )

but i have faith in what kasikorn said that it cannot be reveresed without my permission no matter who wants it

the canadians should have stopped it leaving their system if it was fraudulant ,but all the documents were in order

including his passport ,the transfer statements and account numbers and names all matched up ...etc and he gave me his branch phone number to confirm

if i still want more confirmation.............

i will watch the accoutn over the next month or two but i think its a done deal at this stage and neither party can back out now

(would havwe been very interesting if i decided to keep the laptop and his money lol but i guess hes lucky im as honest as he is ) smile.png

It would have been very interesting indeed if you decided to keep the laptop and his money. It's also very interesting that some stranger in another country just assumed you were such an honest guy as well. However, I don't know many people who would be willing to wire money to a complete stranger who lives abroad and just hope everything works out as planned.... . And that is precisely why I am 99 percent sure this is not over.

I am guessing within a week or so you will be getting a call from K Bank about how the charge was reversed and you are responsible for it regardless of whether or not you currently have money in the account and regardless of whether or not they told you this could or could not be done. I could be wrong..... But I am pretty sure this is what will happen in the coming days.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many dummies posting. It makes sense why there are so many threads about Thai girls taking money.

But enough of that.. I've got a great investment opportunity if anyone wants to make some easy cash!

I've got 10 million USD from Iraq. It's covered in secret ink to make it easy to take out of the country. I just need the special dye to remove the ink from it. The dye costs 100,000baht. Anyone want to invest?

i can get u that dye for 50k unless u like being ripped off for 100k?

.....so many internet novices smile.png

You still haven't explained how he can take the OP's money with just his account number and swift code.

Really?? Is there some expectation that ThaiVisa should provide a forum for people to explain how to break into someone's bank account.? As I said -- too many trusting individuals and too many scammers and too many leaky bank accounts.

SWIFT codes are available on the internet for all to see, and cheques have account number and sort code on them, are you saying that cheques are totally unsafe and that every one you write is an invitation for someone to drain your account ?

Absolute tosh !

oh really, so thought Jeremy

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

Edited by kannot

Very happy it worked out well for you -- so far -- now keep a sharp eye on your bank account for transactions that you don't recognise. There's a very good reason for *not* giving your bank details to strangers -- ask around the "Nigerian Prince" et al if you don't know about this.

for the record ,i remmoved the money and the account is now empty (just in case for the sake of paranoia )

but i have faith in what kasikorn said that it cannot be reveresed without my permission no matter who wants it

the canadians should have stopped it leaving their system if it was fraudulant ,but all the documents were in order

including his passport ,the transfer statements and account numbers and names all matched up ...etc and he gave me his branch phone number to confirm

if i still want more confirmation.............

i will watch the accoutn over the next month or two but i think its a done deal at this stage and neither party can back out now

(would havwe been very interesting if i decided to keep the laptop and his money lol but i guess hes lucky im as honest as he is ) smile.png

OP with all that info you got from the buyer Jpinx could easily empty the guys bank account. Drop him a PM and share the proceeds.

Oooops -- I edited it while you were replying wink.png Maybe we should type "Over" when editing has stopped smile.png

Over.............. clap2.gif

No you are right I wouldn't feel safe.... But,,, the OP hasn't given all of those things.

And mate, it still hasn't been explained how someone can take money using an account number and swift code.

But you are right in terms of feeling safe. If for example, you asked me for my banks swift code and account number, I would say no. Why? Because I wouldn't feel safe haha

So yeah I do see what your saying mate smile.png

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. wink.png

Look at what the OP gave the buyer. Name, address, email, bank account, probably phone numbers too. That's a good start and a professional scammer will make short work of trawling places like ThaiVisa for postings giving other clues about the OP - maybe birthdate, various nicknames, other sites he logs into, etc, etc. There may well be a reference to his passport in TV. This is huge business on the internet. Lists of identities are bought and sold for big money and if you're on one of those lists, your id will be passed on to someone who might just call you one day with an interesting offer to install double-glazing free if their "engineers" can come and look over your property......

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? wink.png

I'm not worried, just saying I see what your saying haha

And I am still not convinced that someone can take money with account number and swift code... Which was the original debate.

But let's draw a line under this, as I need a coffee too!! Haha smile.png

I hope you have been following this thread and have read this link

.....so many internet novices smile.png

You still haven't explained how he can take the OP's money with just his account number and swift code.

Really?? Is there some expectation that ThaiVisa should provide a forum for people to explain how to break into someone's bank account.? As I said -- too many trusting individuals and too many scammers and too many leaky bank accounts.

SWIFT codes are available on the internet for all to see, and cheques have account number and sort code on them, are you saying that cheques are totally unsafe and that every one you write is an invitation for someone to drain your account ?

Absolute tosh !

oh really, so thought Jeremy

Jeremy also gave information on how to find his address. An address would be needed.

As has been stated many times, the debate is whether you can take money using just a swift code and an account number.

Jeremy also gave information on how to find his address. An address would be needed.

As has been stated many times, the debate is whether you can take money using just a swift code and an account number.

-----------------------------

It would appear to be true - ask Jeremy ;)

-----------------------------

It would appear to be true - ask Jeremy ;)

Would would asking Jeremy add? He gave much more info than discussed here: swift code and account number.

What's being discussed by me is whether personal information is safe online -- and if not, what can scammers do with it. The OP gave up his account number and swift code, and although he did not specify it, his name and email would most likely have been obvious and possibly his address and phone number. For the discussion to be restricted to an account number and swift code is blinkered -- to say the least.

Edited by jpinx

Yes. Must exist ONE honest Canuck on the internet to send $$$$ to a Bank account in Thailand (land of scams) from The Great White North to buy a laptop on trust alone, when one could buy locally, inspecting item, and hagglng for every Looney and Tooney.

Would partially restore my faith in humanity.

Edited by arunsakda

What's being discussed by me is whether personal information is safe online -- and if not, what can scammers do with it. The OP gave up his account number and swift code, and although he did not specify it, his name and email would most likely have been obvious and possibly his address and phone number. For the discussion to be restricted to an account number and swift code is blinkered -- to say the least.

So you are now, finally, admitting that the guy couldn't take money from the OP's account with just a swift code and account number?

Just as an example, here is a link to a pdf published by the University of Cambridge in the UK. The pdf is public and on the Internet.

The pdf has details of the University of Cambridge's Sterling, Euro and Dollar bank accounts numbers, sort codes, swift codes, IBANS and BICS. Why would one of the leading universities in the world do that if their money could get stolen? They are quite bright people and they have literally billions of pounds of cash assets.

I maintain that you can not steal money from a bank account with just the account number and routing numbers as jpinx stated.

http://www.research-operations.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/managing/uoc_bank_details_2014.pdf

Oooops -- I edited it while you were replying wink.png Maybe we should type "Over" when editing has stopped smile.png

No you are right I wouldn't feel safe.... But,,, the OP hasn't given all of those things.

And mate, it still hasn't been explained how someone can take money using an account number and swift code.

But you are right in terms of feeling safe. If for example, you asked me for my banks swift code and account number, I would say no. Why? Because I wouldn't feel safe haha

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. ;)

Look at what the OP gave the buyer. Name, address, email, bank account, probably phone numbers too. That's a good start and a professional scammer will make short work of trawling places like ThaiVisa for postings giving other clues about the OP - maybe birthdate, various nicknames, other sites he logs into, etc, etc. There may well be a reference to his passport in TV. This is huge business on the internet. Lists of identities are bought and sold for big money and if you're on one of those lists, your id will be passed on to someone who might just call you one day with an interesting offer to install double-glazing free if their "engineers" can come and look over your property......

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? ;)

And I am still not convinced that someone can take money with account number and swift code... Which was the original debate.

But let's draw a line under this, as I need a coffee too!! Haha :)

if your too dull to know how it would be done, then your too dull to give out the info

Good - not that I want you to be worried, but good anyway. ;)

Really -- need I say more - -or can I have a coffee now ? ;)

But let's draw a line under this, as I need a coffee too!! Haha :)

if your too dull to know how it would be done, then your too dull to give out the info

Haha you're a genius! That should be an advert for education!

"If you don't know how to do it. Then we won't tell you"

Hahaha

• 5 weeks later...

Hope the OP has the humility to admit it once it is clear he has been scammed.

im still alive and i still have the money

kasikorn hasnt even phoned me and all my banking is still fully operational

if anyone thinks you can empty someones bank with the owners name and acc number

you are very sadly mistaken or just a cantankerous old bastard with too much time on your hands

(i bet on the 2nd option btw )

ciao and thx for all the advice :)

It's the Nigerian 419 scam

You send it then few weeks later the credits is declared void

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you tell that to kasikorn and see if they agree

i have talked in depth about the chance of a reversal of that money

and the manager himself laughed and said stop worrying ......once it clears

its our money now .........no other banks or people can just take it back ......

SWIFT can ask the bank for it back and some executive will think nothing of approving this request.

I heard this can happen up to six months after the transfer. However I believe as it's such a trivial amount it won't happen because nobody give a crap about such small amounts of money.

It's the Nigerian 419 scam

You send it then few weeks later the credits is declared void

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you tell that to kasikorn and see if they agree

i have talked in depth about the chance of a reversal of that money

and the manager himself laughed and said stop worrying ......once it clears

its our money now .........no other banks or people can just take it back ......

Get a letter from this chap then if he feels that it won't happen

I'll be you 10bt he'll not want to confirm anything in writing

really there is no way he can reverse the payment,

however, he can later inform his bank that you scammed him and sent him an empty box

this would mean your bank account is part of fraudelant scam

in turn the bank then freezes your account to investigate

(i had this happen very recently through a misunderstanding)

you will then be forced to sort it out with who made complaint

or bank will reverse payment and then invesitage your account completely before unfreezing

If i was you, i would first not give out bank details, if using bank then use pingit or paym, so you only provide your mobile number

but

best choice is tell them pay with paypal (also open to scams)

or get them pay with bitcoin so it cannot be reversed

(there is bitcoin ATM in BKK for you to get cash)

otherwise get the guy to take a selfie holding up his ID

with a note stating he is buying something from you

and when sending take photos of item being packed and sent (even video if value is great)

i would also worry how many other details this person could find out about you

but do watch out incase they pull the old nigerian cheque scam

they send payment by cheque

it shows in account

you send goods

cheque later bounces and funds are removed from your account

parcel is already in the air and delivered next day and nothing you can do about it

reading above you had funds sent to a thai bank account

i would not worry so much

as no refunds in Asia lol

and nobody can empty your account with bank details no,

but they can setup direct debits with just your details which will take money from your account (but these are easily reversed)

there are other things you can do with peoples bank account but you also need a few other details, but i am not posting such info here.

My advice; if you are worried just move your money to a different account.

Furthermore, if the bank sends your money back you could sue them so they wouldn't do this based on a simple request from abroad. They would need a court order from a Thai court. That's what my K-Bank manager told me.

Thailand isn't big on the idea of "refunds" lol

Even if you put money into another wrong account number in thailand you can only hope that the beneficiary is good enough to sign a form of approval to send it back, seen it happen so really wouldn't worry about accepting money from abroad but as usual, don't post until your bank says it had cleared already and cannot be reversed, AFAIK a transaction on the swift payment network CAN be stopped midway because if anyone knows how swift works, the money is relayed through several different Banks on the way to the final Thai bank (yours)

After its in there and they send you a confirmation notification, it cannot be reversed like a PayPal account....