AOT will be asked to cut prices of fast food and drinking water at airports

webfact

AOT will be asked to cut prices of fast food and drinking water at airports

231-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will hold a discussion with Airports of Thailand Public Company Thursday about the possibility of slashing the prices of food and drinks at six airports, including Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang.

Ms Viboonlak Ruamrak, director-general of Internal Trade Department, disclosed today that the department had received many complaints from passengers that the food and drinks sold at the airports were overcharged.

She said that the meeting with executives of AOT tomorrow was meant to seek cooperation from the AOT to cut down the prices of food and drinks starting with drinking water and fast food in lunch box.

She said that the fast food and drinking water on sale at the airports should be higher than elsewhere because of the high rental fees charged to the food outlets but the prices should not be higher than 20 percent of normal prices of the same kind of food and drinking water on sale outside the airports.

A survey by officials of the department showed that a bottle of drinking water which was sold at 7 baht in the market was charged 17 baht at the airports. She said that 12 baht should be a reasonable price.

AOT is responsible for six airports nationwide which include Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket and Hat Yai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155396

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-17

I have been paying 25-30 baht for a bottle of water at both BKK airports, but never mind the nickel and dimes or

a bottle of water and food, the real scam is with the monopoly duty free scam, where almost everything there

cost as much as outside and in many cases even dearer.....

I have been paying 25-30 baht for a bottle of water at both BKK airports, but never mind the nickel and dimes or

a bottle of water and food, the real scam is with the monopoly duty free scam, where almost everything there

Yes, a MONUMENTAL scam. It never ceases to amaze seeing people buying that stuff at retail ++++

What happened to the AOT decision to kick them out? Still there, 5 years on.

And at the same time they might ask AOT why passenger charges are 50% higher than in similar airports such as Hong Kong. Look at the breakdown on airfares. Maybe it's on the basis that the passenger experience at BKK , immigration, security and the like is 50% superior to Hong Kong?

17Baht?? "20Percent ok"??

Rubbish! The normal waterbottle at Suwanaphum departure area is somewhere at 50 Baht, MaMa Cup Noodle (the cheapest food you can find ) 60 Baht (12Baht in 7Eleven nationwide!), Rice Porridge in a served restaurand 280 Baht (compared to 50-70 Baht in BKK-aircon-restaurats). So overall I would say food and drink prices at airports are now roundabout 5 times higher than elsewhere.

And at the same time they might ask AOT why passenger charges are 50% higher than in similar airports such as Hong Kong. Look at the breakdown on airfares. Maybe it's on the basis that the passenger experience at BKK , immigration, security and the like is 50% superior to Hong Kong?

Oh please, do not stop at 50%. What about the fast pass ? You breeze through the airport and border areas with the wave of a electronic hand. Hong Kong immigration caters to frequent visitors and business travelers, where as the Thai authorities do the exact opposite. It is a night and day experience.

Hong Kong airport is always asking for tenders for improvements. Hong Kong airport strives to be better. The Bangkok airports are pathetic. They are a ripoff and the services are below par.

Why should the costs be not more than twenty percent higher? What actually, is the cost of the rental for the concession to operate in the airport. It is extortion if I understand what I have heard about Australian airports.

This complaint should be solely about the cost of drinking water. You can bring a sandwich into the terminal if you are sooooo hungry or even eat outside somewhere before you arrive at the airport. But . . . You cannot bring liquid into the departure areas so all travelers are forced to pay the exorbitant prices for water which are offered to any captive audience. There should be a cap on the price of drinking water at 10 - 12 baht for those same 7-baht bottles available at 7-Eleven. Ms Viboonlak Ruamrak should study this very carefully to understand its ramifications. (And yes, maybe research how percentages work as well)

Quick tip - the Boots shops at SVB have fairly priced water/soft drinks.

Boots are near the best value------BUT still over priced---------same reason given by all staff ""well this is airport and we have to charge higher because of transport delivery "" <deleted>---------AOT----is the main corrupt body----it has too much power-along with high flying King power monopoly. Criminal---these authority should be re-vamped--and fined- heavily.

Are they talking about inside the secured are or outside. On the inside its a rip off. On the outside there are however shops that sell at normal prices, a 7/11 opposite gate 3 and a food court on the bottom floor opposite gate 8 or 9. The food court however can sometimes be swamped with Chinese.

The mark up in Thailand is on par with the rest of the world's airports. Travelers are a captive audience and they know it. 16oz (approx. 500ml) bottle of water at the store in the US, $1.00-$1.50 at any airport bottle is at least $3.75. How is Thailand any different? It's not. Kuddos if they do drop prices.

Food? BBQ pork, grilled chicken and sticky rice can brought through security.

Get your Bt7 water from near home, finish it before security, and then top up the empty bottle free at the air side.

There are ways to save money, should you decide not to be hiso.

Food? BBQ pork, grilled chicken and sticky rice can brought through security.

Get your Bt7 water from near home, finish it before security, and then top up the empty bottle free at the air side.

There are ways to save money, should you decide not to be hiso.

Yes, last trip I finished off my bottle of water just before security, and THREW THE EMPTY IN THE CONVENIENT BIN..... then encountered the free drinking fountain about thirty paces on.

I noticed a few bright frequent flyer types filling their Nalgene water bottles there.....

It's no different than any other airport in the world. Vendors pay higher rents so product prices have to be increased. People always have a choice, nobody is forcing anyone to purchase water or food at an airport.

Same goes with the movie theate. The theater gets a very small portion of the box office sales so in order to make a profit they charge ridiculously high prices for food and snacks.

No doubt the Same Thais that are complaining are the same ones that have no problem charging inflated prices to foreigners.

You are right about the duty free. I was looking at the iPad's to buy one for my daughter. The price in the "Duty Free" was Baht 200 less than outside. Needless to say I bought it from mt local Apple outlet. Trouble is people think because it is duty free it is cheaper they forget it isnt profit free and what they lose on duty they make up for in profit

I am always thankful when I see a 7/11 or a Family Mart at an airport. Their prices are usually only a fraction higher than normal. I cannot find a bottle of water at airport in the US for less than $3. That is over 100 baht!

Having said that, no tourist should EVER be charged for drinking water, in any airport. It is so inexpensive for them to provide drinking water, in water stands throughout the airport, equipped with the 20 liter bottles. That in and of itself is a crime.

Has anyone ever actually seen good prices for electronics in an airport's duty free shop recently?

I haven't in so many years. I mean, even in places with a good reputation like e.g. Dubai every phone, tablet I've checked I can get for significantly cheaper over regular internet shops here in France, with full local warranty. I'm not even speaking of the Chinese boutiques.

Back to the original topic: yes, the prices for food at Suwa are outrageous. And the folks at the Burger King (is it really a BK? I have a doubt) are not even nice or efficient. How many times have I been told "no have" while asking for some incredibly overpriced combination menu?

I've seen fast food chains displaying (almost) normal prices in many european and middle-eastern airports.

Edited by Lannig

It's no different than any other airport in the world. Vendors pay higher rents so product prices have to be increased. People always have a choice, nobody is forcing anyone to purchase water or food at an airport.

Same goes with the movie theate. The theater gets a very small portion of the box office sales so in order to make a profit they charge ridiculously high prices for food and snacks.

No doubt the Same Thais that are complaining are the same ones that have no problem charging inflated prices to foreigners.

Not always a choice.

Planes can be delayed etc. But people need to drink, if not eat.