5 tons of dodgy durian seized as Thai officials crackdown on unscrupulous dealers

snoop1130

5 tons of dodgy durian seized as Thai officials crackdown on unscrupulous dealers
Thaivisa Reporters

post-249866-0-45310000-1458220229_thumb.

Image: Thairath

TRAT:-- Like it or loathe it the famed durian is one of the most talked about of fruits in Thailand and SE Asia in general.

And at the start of the durian season that runs over the next few months there is always the same problem. Unscrupulous dealers and growers who try to flood the market with unripe fruit.

Officials in Trat and Chantaburi provinces have been busy checking durian that is coming on to the market. They seized 5 tons of the smelly custard consistency fruit yesterday that was unfit for human consumption.

It was due to be sold at around 110baht per kilo and public health and standards officials said the haul of unsuitable fruit was worth in the region of half a million baht.

Millions of baht of durian, which is sold year round but only really affordable for the masses in late March, April and May, will be flooding the market in the hot season especially in the eastern provinces where most of it is grown. The famed "morn thong" or "golden pillow" variety commands the highest price .

Officials making the busts blamed unscrupulous dealers and growers for jumping the gun with unripe fruit that may prove inedible even to those who adore the pungent smell and flavour of the product variously described as the "king of Thai fruits."

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-17

I hate the damn things! It tastes shit, it smells shit and it looks like a cocoon for some kind of horrible alien life-form! If it is unripe does it taste, smell or look much different? Vomit away!!

It's always good to see that reaction. It means more for me.

I hate the damn things! It tastes shit, it smells shit and it looks like a cocoon for some kind of horrible alien life-form! If it is unripe does it taste, smell or look much different? Vomit away!!

I'm addicted to it, once I start, I can't stop. But I always refrigerate it first, leaves the hotel fridge selling good.