Tipping Dentist?

Simon1287

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres many nice things about thailand but the preoccupation=worship of money goes against my inner feelings about humanity. some thai friends also comment in similar manner, they are more educated and worldly (surprise !!)

heard stories about tipping/bribing doctors in some iron curtain countries to get prompt service. (pre-wall collapse)

Tipping in the form of gifts is not unusual in Thailand. I go to a the same cardiologist doctor in a private hospital in the burbs of BKK every 3 months for a check-up and I often see patients give my doctor gifts. My gf suggests I take him in something sometime so next time I will give him some special Vietnamese coffee. I think if a dentist or a doctor does a particularly good service to someone it is a nice recognition to give a small but sincere gift (not tip).

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. Sounds exactly as I thought. A couple of farangs were telling me how they always tip their dentist here and I thought they were crazy. Nice to have it confirmed.

Tipping a dentist seemed only slightly less barmy to me that stopping my car to ask someone the way and then giving them a tip.

Simon

OP here, as I said a few posts back: "Thanks for the replies. Sounds exactly as I thought. A couple of farangs were telling me how they always tip their dentist here and I thought they were crazy. Nice to have it confirmed.

Tipping a dentist seemed only slightly less barmy to me than stopping my car to ask someone the way and then giving them a tip."

Me? Tip a dentist? hahaha. :)

Simon

Edited by Simon1287

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. Sounds exactly as I thought. A couple of farangs were telling me how they always tip their dentist here and I thought they were crazy. Nice to have it confirmed.

Tipping a dentist seemed only slightly less barmy to me that stopping my car to ask someone the way and then giving them a tip.

Simon

When it comes to farangs giving their fellows bizarre advice, there's never any shortage.

(And I'll bet the locals get a good chuckle out of it ...)

Edited by hawker9000

OP again. Yes, that's for sure Hawker9000! The way I worded my original post was designed to get as many members jumping on me as possible, so I could have lots of replies to print out in order to show the dentist tippers that what they are doing is uuum, unusual....

Simon

You never tip medical staff of any kind.

having found out that in some countries it is customary to appreciate the services of a nurse with "thank you reward", e.g. after days of special care in an Intensive Care Unit, i hu7mbly beg to differ.

the reward is not necessarily cash but a bunch flowers and/or a little basket of chocolates/sweets is quite acceptable.

p.s. an additional polite slight pinch in the butt is optional wink.png