Are they pushing us to retirement visas?

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

My question:

What good does it do for Thailand for us to have 800K tied up in the bank?

Would it not be better for Thailand if we were out spending that money?

The 800KB requirement is to demonstrate that you actually have something to your name at the time of making your application. Many foreigners living here do not have even this fairly small amount to their name, and just because they dont have it in the bank doesnt mean that they will be spending it instead.

฿800,000 is £15,845 and this might be a small amount to you Mr. Wealthy, but it is a small fortune to many of us! I only have my monthly pension to live off and even if I were to save ฿20,000 (£396) per month it would take three and a half years to acquire that "fairly small" amount! Perhaps you are unaware that the UK State Pension is only £502 p.m. (฿25,345)! I am fortunate indeed that I have a small work pension which brings me up above the ฿65,000 p.m. threshold which has allowed me to retire here. Some people in UK are reduced to poverty by trying to live off their pensions, and would give their eye teeth for a quarter of your "fairly small" amount. If you have that much money, I hope that you donate some to charity to help others less fortunate than yourself!

I see absolutely no reason why anyone who properly planned their retirement economy should give anything to someone who did not properly plan. Gee, did you think things were going to get cheaper and you would have less expenses?

The 800KB requirement is to demonstrate that you actually have something to your name at the time of making your application. Many foreigners living here do not have even this fairly small amount to their name, and just because they dont have it in the bank doesnt mean that they will be spending it instead.

฿800,000 is £15,845 and this might be a small amount to you Mr. Wealthy, but it is a small fortune to many of us! I only have my monthly pension to live off and even if I were to save ฿20,000 (£396) per month it would take three and a half years to acquire that "fairly small" amount! Perhaps you are unaware that the UK State Pension is only £502 p.m. (฿25,345)! I am fortunate indeed that I have a small work pension which brings me up above the ฿65,000 p.m. threshold which has allowed me to retire here. Some people in UK are reduced to poverty by trying to live off their pensions, and would give their eye teeth for a quarter of your "fairly small" amount. If you have that much money, I hope that you donate some to charity to help others less fortunate than yourself!

As I tried to point out, if you compare that sum with what is required by many other countries for a retirement visa you will find that it is fairly small. It's the price of a decent car here (or some modest heart surgery), so it really is not a fortune. The more accessible monthly income option is available to those who do not have capital (I'm in the opposite camp as I have plenty of capital but cannot prove any monthly income). And as I also tried to point out, it should be fairly clear to everyone that Thailand does not want people who dont have the required 65kB per month or 800kB capital. I dont make these rules: I just see them.

I can easily satisfy these capital requirements because I worked very hard for many years and was very careful with my money. I get no pension or other income from anyone at all, though I may get the UK state pension if I ever see my 68th birthday, and I have contributed to this voluntarily for decades.

As for giving money away to charity, charities will benefit from around 65% of whatever is left when I die. Barring high unexpected expenditure on heath services, or massive global economic collapse, this should be a reasonable amount. But it will go to charities that work to better the planet and the wildlife on it, not to people.

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

My question:

The assumption is that people will also be spending money, but as this is impossible to prove they concentrate on the assets in the bank (or on verified income). This makes sense to me.

I've also noticed that if you own your own condo, and if you have significantly more than 800KB in the bank, they pay far less attention to you and your application than if you rent and only have the bare minimum on paper.

But the Hua Hin immigration officer is right: Thailand does want people with plenty of money to spend, and not people who are just getting by. Most other countries ask for a much larger financial guarantee for retirement visas/extensions.

We own 4 condos in Bangkok about 4.5 million+ each, 1 car 1 pick up , 15 rai of land nor sor sam gor and 2 houses + several million in other accounts in Thailand....... maybe next time we should take all the chanotes in and other bank books. Its simple I dont want 800k sittting being virtually useless whether its 3 months or not..

Have always shown more than 800,000 Baht in my bank account when renewing my visa extension based on marriage. I can't recall anyone ever recommending a retirement visa to me. Maybe once, many years ago, but maybe not. I can't really remember.

Those on retirement visa, however, are ineligible to apply for permanent residency, nor can they obtain a work permit. Since I might want to either work or pursue permanent residency some day, extension renewal based on marriage is the way I continue to go.

Not that I want to do that at all but worth remembering for next year if they try to get "awkward" Ill say I might apply for a work permit and PR hahahah good plan.

It is less work for them and can get stamped in one day......

That is Thailands own fault, they deliberately make you jump through more hoops to get the Marriage extensions.

Same old Thailand, never make things easier for you when they can make them harder.

But hey! We are "guests" in this country, are we not?

In my home, "guests" are people I invite to enter.

How many of us were invited to live in Thailand?

thailand invites u to enter and tells u it can be done with 400k and marriage..............which is what ive done but it appears they dont want this , if they dont want it change the rules..........they change them daily anyway.

My question:

The assumption is that people will also be spending money, but as this is impossible to prove they concentrate on the assets in the bank (or on verified income). This makes sense to me.

I've also noticed that if you own your own condo, and if you have significantly more than 800KB in the bank, they pay far less attention to you and your application than if you rent and only have the bare minimum on paper.

But the Hua Hin immigration officer is right: Thailand does want people with plenty of money to spend, and not people who are just getting by. Most other countries ask for a much larger financial guarantee for retirement visas/extensions.

We own 4 condos in Bangkok about 4.5 million+ each, 1 car 1 pick up , 15 rai of land nor sor sam gor and 2 houses + several million in other accounts in Thailand....... maybe next time we should take all the chanotes in and other bank books. Its simple I dont want 800k sittting being virtually useless whether its 3 months or not..

You do not have to put 800,000 in a bank.

You can prove income of 65k/month from abroad or you can combine income+money in the bank(totaling 800k)

If you do not wish to avail yourself of any of these options you could buy into the Thai Elite program http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

If non of these options appeal you will have to seek a different country which will meet your needs/expectations.

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 1

That is Thailands own fault, they deliberately make you jump through more hoops to get the Marriage extensions.

Same old Thailand, never make things easier for you when they can make them harder.

But hey! We are "guests" in this country, are we not?

In my home, "guests" are people I invite to enter.

How many of us were invited to live in Thailand?

thailand invites u to enter and tells u it can be done with 400k and marriage..............which is what ive done but it appears they dont want this , if they dont want it change the rules..........they change them daily anyway.

Yes, and each IO changes these rules to suit themselves, one different from the next, yet you still get these deluded

people who actually believe that we are "guests" in this country.

I'm just thinking which extension to go for and can meet the requirements of both, when I went to the local IMM office they suggested the retirement visa, they were very nice about it, and said its much easier process. No home visits, pictures, can be done much quicker etc, so this year I will probably go that route.

Yes, you can get the retirement extension in one day.

In fact, I go my tenth one today. It was by far the most hassle I have ever had with any of the ten extensions—last year was better, but it held the “worst” title until today.

My wife is an American, she piggy-backs on my retirement extension. For the first extension, it took a non-O visa gotten in Penang, copies of our marriage document—certified by the Philippine Embassy because we were married in the Philippines, and translated in to Thai—my original income statement certified by the US embassy—not translated into Thai—pictures of each, two sets of forms, and B3800; B1900 each. Rather straight forward, and I got all the requirements at immigration—step by step—and we were in and out in about an hour in addition to our trip to Penang.

For the next seven extensions, it was even easier, just my income statement, pictures, two sets of forms, and B3800; and we were out of there in about a half an hour.

Last year, we naïvely arrived with no more than before. We were asked for copies of our marriage document translated into Thai, copies of our house lease document, and a bank book; in addition to the income statement, two pictures, two sets of forms and B3800. Fortunately, we had them, so, after an argument about the reasoning behind a bank book and a trip home to get the documents, we were granted the extensions.

This year, we came prepared—copies of all the documents, an original income statement, two sets of forms, pictures and money. So, after an hour filling out the forms and passing outside inspection, we were sent into the female immigration officer. When she found out my wife was piggy-backing my extension, my wife was asked to sit outside and wait. I had to sign all of the copies and the originals. I was asked why I wanted to stay and what I liked about Thailand. She spoke to me in Thai and I was able to respond. After the small talk, she said go sit outside. I asked if I should send in my wife, she said no, just wait.

After about half an hour, the immigration officer waived me back into her office, she told me to go get copies of every page of our bank book. I did and took them back into her. She asked me to sign all of the pages and go back outside to wait. After a few more minutes, I was again called back into her office and told the bank book had to be in my name only. I argued my wife is on all my bank accounts; and I was not on the B800k in the bank retirement extension, I was on the income statement extension. She rattled more small talk; then told me my income statement was not enough money. I asked what rate baht to dollar, 35 she said. I had her use her calculator. She asked me to sit outside while she took my documents to her boss for approval. After another 30-40 minutes, I was called back in to her office and given my new extension—not bad, only about four hours. However, my wife still did not have hers.

So, I asked if I should send my wife in; no, my clerk will handle her paperwork, she said in pretty good English. So,out I went to sit and wait, and my wife went in. In a few minutes my wife came out; they needed copies of my new extension stamp. So, off for the copies and back into the office she went. In another few minutes my wife came out again, I knew all was not well. They now wanted to see the original marriage document in English, not the one certified by the Philippine embassy and translated into Thai. Since it was after 4pm and they close at 4:30pm; we need to come back Monday.

So, we came prepared, they changed the ground rules. It appears they know not what they do. So far only five or so hours and we have one extension--well, what should I expect from a country which cannot even serve two meals at the same time.

Had similar experiences with them at Hua Hin although todays woman was by far the best but they get ridiculous sometimes, once even got told a photo of us sitting our marital bed wasnt good enough as about 4 inches of the corner of the bed were missing in the photo...........insane, we complained another officer said it was fine!!

Just returned from immigration with wife and her retirement extension. We arrived at 9:30am. The last immigration officer who talked with us Friday asked to see the English language version of our marriage license. He saw it and we were told to sit and wait. We waited until almost 11am before she was called in. Then I was called, it seems they needed the marriage license with a notary stamp from the US embassy. I asked why the US embassy? To certify the marriage, was the reply. The marriage took place in the Philippines, I insisted. We were told to sit and wait. Whereupon the wife said, I have the Philippine embassy certification of the English language marriage license with both translated into Thai. You could virtually see their eyes rotating in the sockets and the smoke coming out their ears. We were told to go sit and wait, again. Twenty minutes later, we were photographed together, paid the B1900, and were handed her stamped passport. Only two more hours, added to the five from yesterday.

Anyone, anyone at all, who thinks there is not more hassle at immigration--we had all the necessary forms, twice the income required, and were processing our tenth retirement extension and it still took seven hours over two days. All previous nine extensions added together did not take seven hours to complete.

You do not have to put 800,000 in a bank.

You can prove income of 65k/month from abroad or you can combine income+money in the bank(totaling 800k)

If you do not wish to avail yourself of any of these options you could buy into the Thai Elite program http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

If non of these options appeal you will have to seek a different country which will meet your needs/expectations.

I dont need to the current regs say I can show 400k..when they change Ill change to whatever ties up the least amount. I have no pensions yet im only 52

I'm just thinking which extension to go for and can meet the requirements of both, when I went to the local IMM office they suggested the retirement visa, they were very nice about it, and said its much easier process. No home visits, pictures, can be done much quicker etc, so this year I will probably go that route.

This is what they tried to do with me but were really "pushing hard" on it.

You can do an income affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai. You show nothing to the embassy other than your passport and completed affidavit form.

If this affidavit is acceptable as 'proof of income' to immigration for an extension of stay based on retirement, then Americans would not have to put 800K in a bank or other documentation of proof of income. That is how I read this.

Yes immigration will accept it as proof of your income. Many people use one including myself (8 times for me).

A few immigration office may ask for back up proof for any proof of income from an embassy. That can be proof of your pension or a bank book showing the some funds coming into the country.

Each American swears an oath that the income statements made are true.

The way things are going in the UK, a retirement extension will soon cost you almost GBP 20,000k in the bank

If you are that pessimistic about the value of GBP it could do [if it should drop to 40THB/GBP] but the actual requirement to obtain a visa based on retirement [over 50 years of age] is the same as to get an extension here. You have to apply to the Thai Embassy in London for that currently; which is allegedly a pain and requires medical and criminal reports:

post-113835-0-23338300-1459046564_thumb.

If over 65 however you can [apparently] still apply to a consulate and the requirement is more lenient; going by the info on the Hull Consulate website:

post-113835-0-98011000-1459046511_thumb.

Surprising that they will still let those with any level of [DWP] pension get a visa for one year; basic DWP miserly old age pension currently equates to not much more than 300K/year . If an extension is required in Thailand the 65K/800K requirement is the same for anyone over 50 - or an annual trip back to the UK for another 'O'; whilst requirements remain as they are.

The way things are going in the UK, a retirement extension will soon cost you almost GBP 20,000k in the bank

If you are that pessimistic about the value of GBP it could do [if it should drop to 40THB/GBP] but the actual requirement to obtain a visa based on retirement [over 50 years of age] is the same as to get an extension here. You have to apply to the Thai Embassy in London for that currently; which is allegedly a pain and requires medical and criminal reports:

attachicon.gif“O A” Long Stay ???????????????????? ? ??????????.png

If over 65 however you can [apparently] still apply to a consulate and the requirement is more lenient; going by the info on the Hull Consulate website:

attachicon.gifO visa retirement.png

Surprising that they will still let those with any level of [DWP] pension get a visa for one year; basic DWP miserly old age pension currently equates to not much more than 300K/year . If an extension is required in Thailand the 65K/800K requirement is the same for anyone over 50 - or an annual trip back to the UK for another 'O'; whilst requirements remain as they are.

There is a big difference between a non-oa visa and a non-o multiple entry visa. The OA visa allows one year entries. The non-o visa only allows 90 day entries meaning a person has to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

if they want less work.

give us 5yr.extensions and once a yr. report.

cost 10,000bht.

That would be great!

Additional benefit being fewer drives through DK pottery village, and the inevitable, "Honey, pull over, I want to look, it'll just take a minute". laugh.png

• Like 1

There is a big difference between a non-oa visa and a non-o multiple entry visa. The OA visa allows one year entries. The non-o visa only allows 90 day entries meaning a person has to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

Not the appropriate thread to discuss this but there are advantages for UK citizens, over the age of sixty five and with a DWP pension, choosing the 'O' Non-imm visa as their first look into the country they may wish to retire in.