Are they pushing us to retirement visas?

It's your choice. I suspect the IO/office just want less paperwork and the power to agree the extension.

Could you explain how they could force you to do an extension you are not qualified for.

I can assure they would accept the extension application based upon marriage unless a person made the mistake of showing financial proof that would qualify them for an extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

I was once being pushed that I should buy a condo to get retirement visa, Imagine. I went there again after a week and she had forgotten all about it.

WOW ! That is a new and different story which I have never heard before !

A condo for a "retirement visa" cheesy.gif

maybe next year you won't need to renew. I don't "get" all of this next time stuff. given where we are right now, a year from now is a long time away. things could be very very different.

Pray tell us what motivated you to post - there is no 'most vague post of the day' award as far as I know.

• Like 1

you do not need to have your retirement money in a Thailand bank account, leave in u.s. account no need for FBAR. doing retirement visas chiang mai 10 years always show U.S. bank account with cash, never a problem. yes i was politely told to get a retirement visa and forget marriage visa, too difficult retirement easier for them..

You can use the "combo" method of combining income -- in the OP's case rental income -- and a Thai bank account for the financial justification for the retirement visa; something you can't do with the marriage visa. It's either income or bank account, but not a combo.

Also, with a marriage visa, the permission to stay is tied to the marriage being intact. If the unthinkable happens and the Thai wife has an unfortunately accident, then the marriage is over along with the justification for the permission to stay. With a retirement visa, you don't have this worry. Your visa is based on your own qualifications and not dependent upon anyone else.

This is the big reason Hubby and I each have our own retirement visas, rather than me being carried as a "dependent" on his.

An an extension of stay based upon marriage does not go away when the spouse passes away. It remains valid until it runs out.

See:

See:

What about expat-expat retirees where one is carried as a depended on the other's retirement extension. Is the holder of the extension considered a "resident of the Kingdom" and thus the dependent is able to remain for the full life of the extension after the passing of the holder of the extension due to retirement? If so, this is big news to Chiang Mai Immigration and the visa agents who handle business in this province because I know several widows who have been given seven day extensions to "get their affairs in order" after the passing of their husbands. Not enough time to get access to his 800,000 baht bank account, even with a Final Will naming the wife as the sole beneficiary.

you do not need to have your retirement money in a Thailand bank account, leave in u.s. account no need for FBAR. doing retirement visas chiang mai 10 years always show U.S. bank account with cash, never a problem. yes i was politely told to get a retirement visa and forget marriage visa, too difficult retirement easier for them..

Misleading nonsense!

To obtain an "extension of stay based on retirement/marriage "(it is not a visa) money need to be in a Thai bank unless one is applying on the basis of having a certified income of 65k/40k Bht/month

• Like 2

You can use the "combo" method of combining income -- in the OP's case rental income -- and a Thai bank account for the financial justification for the retirement visa; something you can't do with the marriage visa. It's either income or bank account, but not a combo.

Also, with a marriage visa, the permission to stay is tied to the marriage being intact. If the unthinkable happens and the Thai wife has an unfortunately accident, then the marriage is over along with the justification for the permission to stay. With a retirement visa, you don't have this worry. Your visa is based on your own qualifications and not dependent upon anyone else.

This is the big reason Hubby and I each have our own retirement visas, rather than me being carried as a "dependent" on his.

An an extension of stay based upon marriage does not go away when the spouse passes away. It remains valid until it runs out.

See:

See:

What about expat-expat retirees where one is carried as a depended on the other's retirement extension. Is the holder of the extension considered a "resident of the Kingdom" and thus the dependent is able to remain for the full life of the extension after the passing of the holder of the extension due to retirement? If so, this is big news to Chiang Mai Immigration and the visa agents who handle business in this province because I know several widows who have been given seven day extensions to "get their affairs in order" after the passing of their husbands. Not enough time to get access to his 800,000 baht bank account, even with a Final Will naming the wife as the sole beneficiary.

Resident means a person that has been granted permanent residency.

It is less work for them and can get stamped in one day......

Yes, you can get the retirement extension in one day.

In fact, I go my tenth one today. It was by far the most hassle I have ever had with any of the ten extensions—last year was better, but it held the “worst” title until today.

My wife is an American, she piggy-backs on my retirement extension. For the first extension, it took a non-O visa gotten in Penang, copies of our marriage document—certified by the Philippine Embassy because we were married in the Philippines, and translated in to Thai—my original income statement certified by the US embassy—not translated into Thai—pictures of each, two sets of forms, and B3800; B1900 each. Rather straight forward, and I got all the requirements at immigration—step by step—and we were in and out in about an hour in addition to our trip to Penang.

For the next seven extensions, it was even easier, just my income statement, pictures, two sets of forms, and B3800; and we were out of there in about a half an hour.

Last year, we naïvely arrived with no more than before. We were asked for copies of our marriage document translated into Thai, copies of our house lease document, and a bank book; in addition to the income statement, two pictures, two sets of forms and B3800. Fortunately, we had them, so, after an argument about the reasoning behind a bank book and a trip home to get the documents, we were granted the extensions.

This year, we came prepared—copies of all the documents, an original income statement, two sets of forms, pictures and money. So, after an hour filling out the forms and passing outside inspection, we were sent into the female immigration officer. When she found out my wife was piggy-backing my extension, my wife was asked to sit outside and wait. I had to sign all of the copies and the originals. I was asked why I wanted to stay and what I liked about Thailand. She spoke to me in Thai and I was able to respond. After the small talk, she said go sit outside. I asked if I should send in my wife, she said no, just wait.

After about half an hour, the immigration officer waived me back into her office, she told me to go get copies of every page of our bank book. I did and took them back into her. She asked me to sign all of the pages and go back outside to wait. After a few more minutes, I was again called back into her office and told the bank book had to be in my name only. I argued my wife is on all my bank accounts; and I was not on the B800k in the bank retirement extension, I was on the income statement extension. She rattled more small talk; then told me my income statement was not enough money. I asked what rate baht to dollar, 35 she said. I had her use her calculator. She asked me to sit outside while she took my documents to her boss for approval. After another 30-40 minutes, I was called back in to her office and given my new extension—not bad, only about four hours. However, my wife still did not have hers.

So, I asked if I should send my wife in; no, my clerk will handle her paperwork, she said in pretty good English. So,out I went to sit and wait, and my wife went in. In a few minutes my wife came out; they needed copies of my new extension stamp. So, off for the copies and back into the office she went. In another few minutes my wife came out again, I knew all was not well. They now wanted to see the original marriage document in English, not the one certified by the Philippine embassy and translated into Thai. Since it was after 4pm and they close at 4:30pm; we need to come back Monday.

So, we came prepared, they changed the ground rules. It appears they know not what they do. So far only five or so hours and we have one extension--well, what should I expect from a country which cannot even serve two meals at the same time.

• Like 1

...stamped in ONE day...NOT.I live in Udon-Thani and Immigration here give me 30 day stamp..Under consideration,same as for Marriage Visa...But time is all i have ALOT of so i do not care to much..

• Like 1

If "by too young" you mean that you're actually aged 49 or under at the present time, she gave you duff advice!smile.png

noooooooo im 52 I knew I could go the retirement route at 49 yrs old as they count you as 50 then but dont want to tie up 800k.

Ok seems they are just lazy then yet happy to have us jump thru hoops etc

You only tie-up the 800K for 3 months although 2 months for the first application. Such is life.

better to only tie up 400k though

Yes, you can get the retirement extension in one day.

In fact, I go my tenth one today. It was by far the most hassle I have ever had with any of the ten extensions—last year was better, but it held the “worst” title until today.

My wife is an American, she piggy-backs on my retirement extension. For the first extension, it took a non-O visa gotten in Penang, copies of our marriage document—certified by the Philippine Embassy because we were married in the Philippines, and translated in to Thai—my original income statement certified by the US embassy—not translated into Thai—pictures of each, two sets of forms, and B3800; B1900 each. Rather straight forward, and I got all the requirements at immigration—step by step—and we were in and out in about an hour in addition to our trip to Penang.

For the next seven extensions, it was even easier, just my income statement, pictures, two sets of forms, and B3800; and we were out of there in about a half an hour.

Last year, we naïvely arrived with no more than before. We were asked for copies of our marriage document translated into Thai, copies of our house lease document, and a bank book; in addition to the income statement, two pictures, two sets of forms and B3800. Fortunately, we had them, so, after an argument about the reasoning behind a bank book and a trip home to get the documents, we were granted the extensions.

This year, we came prepared—copies of all the documents, an original income statement, two sets of forms, pictures and money. So, after an hour filling out the forms and passing outside inspection, we were sent into the female immigration officer. When she found out my wife was piggy-backing my extension, my wife was asked to sit outside and wait. I had to sign all of the copies and the originals. I was asked why I wanted to stay and what I liked about Thailand. She spoke to me in Thai and I was able to respond. After the small talk, she said go sit outside. I asked if I should send in my wife, she said no, just wait.

After about half an hour, the immigration officer waived me back into her office, she told me to go get copies of every page of our bank book. I did and took them back into her. She asked me to sign all of the pages and go back outside to wait. After a few more minutes, I was again called back into her office and told the bank book had to be in my name only. I argued my wife is on all my bank accounts; and I was not on the B800k in the bank retirement extension, I was on the income statement extension. She rattled more small talk; then told me my income statement was not enough money. I asked what rate baht to dollar, 35 she said. I had her use her calculator. She asked me to sit outside while she took my documents to her boss for approval. After another 30-40 minutes, I was called back in to her office and given my new extension—not bad, only about four hours. However, my wife still did not have hers.

So, I asked if I should send my wife in; no, my clerk will handle her paperwork, she said in pretty good English. So,out I went to sit and wait, and my wife went in. In a few minutes my wife came out; they needed copies of my new extension stamp. So, off for the copies and back into the office she went. In another few minutes my wife came out again, I knew all was not well. They now wanted to see the original marriage document in English, not the one certified by the Philippine embassy and translated into Thai. Since it was after 4pm and they close at 4:30pm; we need to come back Monday.

So, we came prepared, they changed the ground rules. It appears they know not what they do. So far only five or so hours and we have one extension--well, what should I expect from a country which cannot even serve two meals at the same time.

Had similar experiences with them at Hua Hin although todays woman was by far the best but they get ridiculous sometimes, once even got told a photo of us sitting our marital bed wasnt good enough as about 4 inches of the corner of the bed were missing in the photo...........insane, we complained another officer said it was fine!!

• Like 1

If "by too young" you mean that you're actually aged 49 or under at the present time, she gave you duff advice!smile.png

noooooooo im 52 I knew I could go the retirement route at 49 yrs old as they count you as 50 then but dont want to tie up 800k.

You only tie-up the 800K for 3 months although 2 months for the first application. Such is life.

better to only tie up 400k though

... even better to actually walk-away from the IMM Office with your extension.

Edited by JLCrab

WOAH! Is that true? 49 is an acceptable age to apply for a retirement extension?? Is there documentation of this?

I had a similar experience years ago when I was married. I can't remember the exact details but it went something like this.

What, apparently, changed was the exchange rate, that is, after the world problem and things settled down, the Thai gov 'floated' the Baht. So now in Baht terms my income had increased substantially. But the 'offer' of retirement extension wasn't made immediately and in retrospect immigration was probably just waiting to see how world markets would go. Then, one year when I went back to extend my stay on marriage I was told that 'old' rules now had to enforced whereas before they had been 'relaxed' ('ignored' might be nearer to the truth). Therefore I now needed; photos of the house outside, inside the house, my wife and I in the kitchen and living room (I'm surprised they didn't include other rooms, Ha!) a letter from my wife's employer, witnesses. Whatever my inaccuracies here (think I've forgotten some simple items) it came over to me as being a lot more to what I'd been doing.

Then it came! 'Why don't you change to 'retirement' as your income and bank account (combo method) meet requirements. No photos of this and that, no witnesses etc'. I agreed and they changed my status there and then. There was something about the income letter of certification from the embassy (which I didn't have at that time) but I can't remember how I got round that on this occasion. However, I do agree that it is probably about the amount of work immigration has to do rather than considering the applicant.

That is Thailands own fault, they deliberately make you jump through more hoops to get the Marriage extensions.

Same old Thailand, never make things easier for you when they can make them harder.

But hey! We are "guests" in this country, are we not?

Exactly Thai immigration are the ones that made it so difficult and now they are the ones complaining about it being so difficult
  • Like 1

...stamped in ONE day...NOT.I live in Udon-Thani and Immigration here give me 30 day stamp..Under consideration,same as for Marriage Visa...But time is all i have ALOT of so i do not care to much..

You sell yourself too cheap my friend. I know they must think our time is worth nothing, but mine is. I am well paid for my time; I could be off watching somebody cut hair rather than sit in the immigration office victim to their incompetence.

WOAH! Is that true? 49 is an acceptable age to apply for a retirement extension?? Is there documentation of this?

Thais count ages differently. When you are 49 you are in your 50th year and so age 50. Doubt this would be the official stance but there seems to be so many as-hoc rules that it wouldn't surprise me.

You sell yourself too cheap my friend. I know they must think our time is worth nothing, but mine is. I am well paid for my time; I could be off watching somebody cut hair rather than sit in the immigration office victim to their incompetence.

Next time, after you finish receiving your extension, hand them a bill at your hourly rate for time spent in the process.

• Like 1

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

Been there seen that and done that. When my wife was told directly by a female Imm officer that that they couldn't understand why she married me because her family had so much money, and I'm not bullshitting, my wife replied that money is not the most important thing in life and refused to have any more dealings with them. We now fly out every 15 months and get a multi O so we enjoy a 3 or 4 day holiday somewhere every 3 months, and haven't had to deal with an office here for the past 6 years.

• Like 2

That is Thailands own fault, they deliberately make you jump through more hoops to get the Marriage extensions.

Same old Thailand, never make things easier for you when they can make them harder.

But hey! We are "guests" in this country, are we not?

In my home, "guests" are people I invite to enter.

How many of us were invited to live in Thailand?

• Like 1

My question:

What good does it do for Thailand for us to have 800K tied up in the bank?

Would it not be better for Thailand if we were out spending that money?

My question:

What good does it do for Thailand for us to have 800K tied up in the bank?

Would it not be better for Thailand if we were out spending that money?

It only has to be tied up for 3 months (2 the first time). Then you can go out and spend it on whatever.