Rose Tinted Glasses by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

Rose Tinted Glasses by The Pattaya Sleuth

glass.jpg

One thing that I often think about life in Thailand is that many people have rose tinted glasses – either for everything being perfect in Thailand or everything being perfect back in their home countries. I was involved in a conversation the other day with a couple of guys who had quite contrasting views. One guy was thinking about going back to the UK and the other guy thought that Thailand was perfect.

The guy who was thinking heading back to the UK put up quite a reasoned argument that it would be better for his children as the schooling was better and more opportunities – all fair points but then he went on to talk about what he could realistically earn – this where I nearly fell off my stool laughing. The industry he works in pays nothing like the amounts that he was quoting – I know as some of my friends are in the industry and sometimes ask my professional advice about things. It was almost a throwback to the Charles Dickens days where the streets are paved with gold.

My friend, and I you the term loosely, has not even visited the UK for over 5 years let alone lived or worked there. He seemed blind to the fact that things change and not always for the better. He seemed to remember a time of 100% employment and being able to move from one job to another at the drop of a hat. Sadly, I think he is in for a rude awakening if he chooses to go back.

Read more: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/rose-tinted-glasses/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-03-20

I'd have to disagree with you regarding the UK, if you have some skills and want to work there it's a good place to make money, the problem is that in doing so you have to be able to tolerate everything else that goes along with it, taxation, bureaucracy, political correctness, poor quality food, expensive cost of living, bad weather and frequently, near horizon attitudes.

When i was young, I took a road trip w/2 friends - driving on a back country road - deep in the countryside - past the middle of a very dark night, set off the road was a lone farmhouse - there was a gas lamp burning in the window.

One friend said - "How charming." The other friend said "How lonely."

We all wear our own glasses and not the same pair every day.

One thing that I often think about life in Thailand is that many people have rose tinted glasses – either for everything being perfect in Thailand or everything being perfect back in their home countries.

Usually the comment about rose-colored specs is directed at those of us who are fairly content in Thailand and don't spend our days moaning about everything.

Actually "we" originally looked at Thailand with clear lenses, recognized the good and the bad and made the decision to stay here fully understanding what we were getting into. Apparently those who whine constantly had the rose tinted glasses on when making the decision to settle here and are now experiencing a form of buyers' remorse ... based on unrealistic expectations.

And the same complainers generally have shifted their unrealistic assessment to their home countries now. 90% of the problems they can see so clearly here exist to some degree back home, but familiarity with their former home breeds another round of selective blindness.

Edited by Suradit69

I'd have to disagree with you regarding the UK, if you have some skills and want to work there it's a good place to make money, the problem is that in doing so you have to be able to tolerate everything else that goes along with it, taxation, bureaucracy, political correctness, poor quality food, expensive cost of living, bad weather and frequently, near horizon attitudes.

What skills are you talking about? a lawyer, a banker, a politician, working in insurance etc, certainly not any of the average working mans skills.

The last part of your post is certainly spot on though.

As a U.S. citizen, I would LOVE to be able to move back. I just can't afford it on my pension and would have to go back to work. I love teaching but don't have a four year college degree, so I'd have to take a job I wouldn't enjoy as much. Here, I rent a beautiful condo with a breathtaking ocean view that's approximately 15% of my pension. People may complain of the rising costs in Thailand but they're basically held in check by the predominant Thai minimum wage with the exception of farang tastes. And, of course, the multitude of gorgeous girls makes Thailand quite appealing.

I went on a serious rant about a year ago, fed up with the head-shaking, illogical behaviour that is an every day occurrence in Thailand. I pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico, never to return. That was such a disaster! I'm now back in my beautiful condo and will go back to teaching because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to, and of course there are the girls. Giggity.

In a nut shell, are things perfect here? Of course not. But it's the best game in town for most of us here.

Good place to make money if you have the right profession. Even then, the high cost of just about everything means most people are literally spinning their wheels working every hour available.

What skills are you talking about? a lawyer, a banker, a politician, working in insurance etc, certainly not any of the average working mans skills.

That old buggy-boo, " . . . the average working mans (sic) skills . . ."

If all you have is the average working man's skills; you are on a downhill slope. Don't you realize you have to be more skilled than the average working man to hold a decent job and make a comfortable living? Immigrants with little education and who barely speak the language are competing for those average working man's jobs and are willing to do them for less pay.

If you have a skill that takes six months to learn, you can and will be replaced by someone with six months experience. If you have a job which can be written-down, step by step. You can be replaced by anyone who can read.

If you cannot develop a skill few other people possess, you will always be crying, "things aren't fair."

That old buggy-boo, " . . . the average working mans (sic) skills . . ."

If all you have is the average working man's skills; you are on a downhill slope. Don't you realize you have to be more skilled than the average working man to hold a decent job and make a comfortable living? Immigrants with little education and who barely speak the language are competing for those average working man's jobs and are willing to do them for less pay.

If you have a skill that takes six months to learn, you can and will be replaced by someone with six months experience. If you have a job which can be written-down, step by step. You can be replaced by anyone who can read.

If you cannot develop a skill few other people possess, you will always be crying, "things aren't fair."

Excellent post, but it does not apply to me. On two occasions, I had skills that the majority of people don't possess, or have the nerve to do.

CM what do you mean by "near horizon attitudes"?

Is it just me but the proof reading of the original article (especially the last para) seems woefully inadequate.......

CM what do you mean by "near horizon attitudes"?

Is it just me but the proof reading of the original article (especially the last para) seems woefully inadequate.......

Too many people are insular, small world syndrome, can't talk/think about much more than house prices, football and their next holiday.

I disagree! There is a great dearth of brickies, plumbers, electricians, in fact anyone in the building industry and they are earning a fortune. Go look it up.wai.gif

I disagree! There is a great dearth of brickies, plumbers, electricians, in fact anyone in the building industry and they are earning a fortune. Go look it up.wai.gif

Yes, and a lot of them on the black economy, and good luck to them. but their fortune is a lot less than say a bankers fortune.

I suppose it really depends on what you would class as a fortune.

Edited by possum1931

Many Brits today in the UK don't have realistic expectations, most seem caught up in the web of needing to earn more to spend more. It doesn't cost a huge amount to live a normal life there without too many extravagances, food and utilities are cheap enough, medical is mostly free and personal tax allowances and tax freebies are getting better every year. Sure it's expensive if you live in the Shires and have to spend 5k a year on a season ticket into London but the average person in the average town doesn't have to do that. For two people living together, a joint 30k a year before they start paying tax is enough to live a decent life but most want three holidays a year, new cars and the next rung on the housing ladder, those things aren't essential.

One man's meat is another man's poison. I like the tale of the two salesmen sent to darkest Africa to assess the market for shoes. One returned saying "no market, they don't wear shoes". The other returned saying "the market is enormous, they don't have shoes".

You are absolutely right. Uk has for the time being one the worse economy. There is even a new law that those get help from the government for rent etc can not be outside UK for more than 30 days. Why so because they need the money to be spend within UK.

The reason your friend was talking high about what is he going to earn is to satisfy himself and may be you , that he is right to go back.

Well good for him let him try but tell him not to sell off all his stuff because he will probably be back after few months.

Thailand has its faults, as does Australia. It's a matter of weighing up the positives against the negatives. For a retiree such as myself, Thailand has a lot to offer.

People constantly rail against the corruption in Thailand. What they don't realise is corruption is present in the UK, USA and Australia - it's just more subtle.

For example, 10% of the adult population in Washington D.C. are lawyers. That's not an accident.

I went back to Manchester 23 years ago. Streets were dirty cct cameras every were, tall fences around housing units/flats. My son asked me why his nose was so cold he had never experienced it in Australia never wear a coat. I am going back this year and will have to buy one. Would of been nice for American expats Whoop whoop of helicopters all night chasing criminals. I will be looking at Spain rents are similar to Thailand and can buy a 2 bed condo or town house to do up for 40,000 Euro.

I bitch and moan about the shi*thole called Pattaya because it is exactly that.....a hole....in more ways than one....I guess it is because I see the ugly underbelly almost every day in the early hours....but it is what it is and there are far worse place to park your butt....just saying.......haters will always hate....:-)

As a U.S. citizen, I would LOVE to be able to move back. I just can't afford it on my pension and would have to go back to work. I love teaching but don't have a four year college degree, so I'd have to take a job I wouldn't enjoy as much. Here, I rent a beautiful condo with a breathtaking ocean view that's approximately 15% of my pension. People may complain of the rising costs in Thailand but they're basically held in check by the predominant Thai minimum wage with the exception of farang tastes. And, of course, the multitude of gorgeous girls makes Thailand quite appealing.

I went on a serious rant about a year ago, fed up with the head-shaking, illogical behaviour that is an every day occurrence in Thailand. I pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico, never to return. That was such a disaster! I'm now back in my beautiful condo and will go back to teaching because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to, and of course there are the girls. Giggity.

In a nut shell, are things perfect here? Of course not. But it's the best game in town for most of us here.

You keep mentioning girls like it is an end to the means.....it is just the end! :-(