Disabled Brit, 79, jumps to his death from Pattaya condo

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tragic indeed. It seems that quite a fair amount of old men prefer jumping from high buildings than taking some amazing pills and going on one last journey before just not waking up anymore. Jumping shouldn't be an option for anybody and the most important reason being total fear, pain and discomfort seconds before traveling to other pastures. If somebody really doesn't want to continue in this realm for whatever reason, mostly being illness, old age or depression then take the most humane way out. Remember that after you throw yourself off a building or in front of a train, bus or other fast moving object there are people who have to clean up the mess and I don't care what anyone says about this, it is always traumatizing for the ambulance personnel/cleaning staff and what about passerby's? Did any jumper ever think about somebody walking below and what would happen if suddenly a person would fall on top of them of explode on the ground close to them? What an irresponsible way to take your life. Selfish as so to speak, without talking about the family members left behind. So when you decide that you can't continue anymore for whatever reason, legit or not, and you have made your mind up to discontinue your time on this planet; do so in a responsible way! Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals

RIP Mr Angus

The above very well compiled.

Fully agree with Euthanasia, in my country Nederland it is part of the Law that with correct medical guidance in deteriorating medical conditions a person is allowed to do it. In a country like Thailand with Buddhism being the state religion I cannot see Thailand will ever put this in the law. So the jumping off high buildings will continue unabated and in the not too distant future it will become know for in addition to its first Capital of the World- and you know very well what that is - as also being "The capital of the world for Bungee jumping without a bungee cord.

LOL in LOS

seems a terrible and painful way to kill yourself! if I were to think about killing myself, I would take a bunch of pills, get my favorite booze, sit down on a comfortable chair, put my favorite movies on my DVD and just sit back and take the "trip"! no pain no fuss and no one getting mad at me for messing up their car roof! plus I would look pretty for my funeral!

Killing yourself with pills isn't necessarily painless. Depending on which medication it is, there can be a lot of thrashing, slow choking on vomit, with skin-on-fire feelings that can last for some time.

If you are disabled and in great pain, other alternatives to just get it over with are used. I am also disabled and in great pain but am hanging on as I don't want selfish inconsiderate people to get my 'stuff'. RIP, I understand.

One of the saddest stories I have read on Thai visa.

Old, alone, disabled, depressed and felt there was no other way out.

Too many people throw everything away to live in Thailand and then find a few years down the track they have no friends, no support and no where to turn.

RIP Old Fella

People think pills are a 'quiet and peaceful' journey. Unfortunately, if you don't know the right quantity, the right combination and then combine it with alcohol you will either have a most painful journey or the journey will end up in the hospital getting your stomach pumped. There are many stories of actors in Hollywood undertaking this way out and the media always describes the wonderful and peaceful journey but reality is far from it. The best example is one Lupi Lopez from the 1920s who could not transition from silent to talkies. The newspapers describe how she was found on her bed in a white gown with a smile on her face, fully at peace, when in reality, she had eaten a last meal of chilli taken the pills, which was not a good combination. When found, vomit was found in a long trail to the toilet where Lupi was found with her head in the bowl, dead, with a look of anguish and strain on her face. This is the reality of taking pills if you think taking a handful of sleeping pills and a good shot is the way out. Just food for thought, need to do your research long ahead of time.

he should go to Netherland, where euthanasia is legal, he would get a shot instead of jumping to death, poor guy RIP

And who was it that gave Holland or Switzerland for that matter, the right to play God?...RIP fellow countryman.

There are benign populations, and occasionally, governments, that place humanitarian concerns (a difficult concept for, say, Americans to accept), at the forefront of its legislative efforts. And this they manage to do with surprisingly little regard for the perceived slight to anyone's imaginary friends. This is a clear case where "separation of church and state" must allow patently obvious and necessary decisions to be made, divorced of emotional content. This is simple. As numerous posters have pointed out, raining bodies are not good for anyone. In the interests of mitigating these types of disasters, assistance should be readily available and forthcoming. Irrespective of what someone may have done in their lives up to that point, no one should face the prospect of death, alone.

Why do we all ways hear of "Jumpers" not the best way of committing suicide, pills would be easer and not so "messy" as to the distress of ambulance personnel, passers by and family etc......defiantly suspect [Again}

Tragic indeed. It seems that quite a fair amount of old men prefer jumping from high buildings than taking some amazing pills and going on one last journey before just not waking up anymore. Jumping shouldn't be an option for anybody and the most important reason being total fear, pain and discomfort seconds before traveling to other pastures. If somebody really doesn't want to continue in this realm for whatever reason, mostly being illness, old age or depression then take the most humane way out. Remember that after you throw yourself off a building or in front of a train, bus or other fast moving object there are people who have to clean up the mess and I don't care what anyone says about this, it is always traumatizing for the ambulance personnel/cleaning staff and what about passerby's? Did any jumper ever think about somebody walking below and what would happen if suddenly a person would fall on top of them of explode on the ground close to them? What an irresponsible way to take your life. Selfish as so to speak, without talking about the family members left behind. So when you decide that you can't continue anymore for whatever reason, legit or not, and you have made your mind up to discontinue your time on this planet; do so in a responsible way! Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals

RIP Mr Angus

What are these "amazing" pills you mention?

Read the last sentence again: Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals.

There are websites, organizations, doctors, etc who can help people end their lives if they really don't want to continue.

Besides that we live in TH where most pharmaceuticals are for sale over or under the counter

Assisted suicides are illegal in the UK and quite a few countries in the EU.

AFAIK there is NO professional help with euthanasia in Thailand and in some but not all hospitals in Thailand a living will stating "Do Not Resuscitate" can be ignored.

If you know of such a group of persons can you please email me.

I would say please post it on this thread but I am not sure if it will be allowed.

Edited by billd766

RIP Mr Angus

What are these "amazing" pills you mention?

Read the last sentence again: Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals.

There are websites, organizations, doctors, etc who can help people end their lives if they really don't want to continue.

Besides that we live in TH where most pharmaceuticals are for sale over or under the counter

Assisted suicides are illegal in the UK and quite a few countries in the EU.

AFAIK there is NO professional help with euthanasia in Thailand and in some but not all hospitals in Thailand a living will stating "Do Not Resuscitate" can be ignored.

If you know of such a group of persons can you please email me.

I would say please post it on this thread but I am not sure if t will be allowed.

There is no such thing in TH, that's right, but there is assistance/support online. Google it.

They can help people in many many ways.

People think pills are a 'quiet and peaceful' journey. Unfortunately, if you don't know the right quantity, the right combination and then combine it with alcohol you will either have a most painful journey or the journey will end up in the hospital getting your stomach pumped. There are many stories of actors in Hollywood undertaking this way out and the media always describes the wonderful and peaceful journey but reality is far from it. The best example is one Lupi Lopez from the 1920s who could not transition from silent to talkies. The newspapers describe how she was found on her bed in a white gown with a smile on her face, fully at peace, when in reality, she had eaten a last meal of chilli taken the pills, which was not a good combination. When found, vomit was found in a long trail to the toilet where Lupi was found with her head in the bowl, dead, with a look of anguish and strain on her face. This is the reality of taking pills if you think taking a handful of sleeping pills and a good shot is the way out. Just food for thought, need to do your research long ahead of time.

I have already.

Yeah I think people are being naive about the ease of methods other than the violent ones, especially in Thailand. People jump because it's quick and easy to do.

former Doctor Philip Nitschke definitely doesn't agree with your viewermm.gif in fact he has written a handbook on this subject details of which can easily be found on Googleph34r.png

Edited by Asiantravel

A neighbour of the man, identified as Elizabeth Louise, told officers that Mr John used a wheelchair and lived in the apartment alone.

He had been suffering with some serious health problems which had intensified over the last two weeks and had told her of his plan to commit suicide earlier in the day.

However, she dismissed his plans as she did not GIVE A CRAP

Yeah I think people are being naive about the ease of methods other than the violent ones, especially in Thailand. People jump because it's quick and easy to do.

former Doctor Philip Nitschke the definitely doesn't agree with your viewermm.gif in fact he has written a handbook on this subject details of which can easily be found on Googleph34r.png

It requires a good bit of research and also access to the materials. I realize it can be done, but people on the verge of suicide aren't always in the most calm state of mind.

he should go to Netherland, where euthanasia is legal, he would get a shot instead of jumping to death, poor guy RIP

And who was it that gave Holland or Switzerland for that matter, the right to play God?...RIP fellow countryman.

I think Euthanasia should be legalised in every country.

It is YOUR life not GOD'S.

If you are terminally ill YOU should have the right to die with dignity.

I think Euthanasia should be legalised in every country.

It is YOUR life not GOD'S.

If you are terminally ill YOU should have the right to die with dignity.

I agree but I think at least a level of screening should be applied.

For example some people might think things are hopeless when they could actually still be helped.

RIP Mr Angus

A valid discussion point. In the absence of rightful understanding and lack of support many people would have to opt for self killing. Many of our 'morals' are unfounded and cruel. There is a need for awareness for better ways of self-killing than ignoring the need and advising "help-seeking" "counselling" etc which are not practical at certain stages in life.

Once dead - it is like 'never been alive'.

Sorry my friend but humans aren't trees! Death has two doors, paradise or hell. make sure you choose the right one!

@DaveinAsia

I have just done that and, as you say, there is a lot out on Google but it will take a while to sort out what is useful here in Thailand rather than the rest of the world.

Thanks

I am trying to plan ahead a few years.

former Doctor Philip Nitschke the definitely doesn't agree with your viewermm.gif in fact he has written a handbook on this subject details of which can easily be found on Googleph34r.png

It requires a good bit of research and also access to the materials. I realize it can be done, but people on the verge of suicide aren't always in the most calm state of mind.

You should read about Exit International which Nitschke established years ago and hear about hundreds of members in Australia and now around the world and (even USA ).

Elderly couples who are members of Exit have been interviewed on video looking very calm and even happy who have been researching and planning their eventual demise for years. They said they are happy because they know in their own minds they can leave with dignity. In some cases they even travelled to Mexico to purchase what Nitschke defines as “ The Peaceful Pill “ (because it’s against the law to purchase it in Australia) and where afterwards they returned to Australia put it in the kitchen cupboard for future use .

Yes there may be some who suicide at the spur of the moment but I think there are also many who think about it for a long time particularly where their health and other conditions keep degenerating and plan ahead for such moment.

Edited by Asiantravel

I'm in my late 60's and have recently suffered a series of minor (i.e. not seriously disabling) strokes. I have to assume that a major one could follow at any time. If it's fatal, well, so be it. What really frightens me is the thought of becoming seriously disabled and a burden to myself and others. So preparation seems like a good idea, and jumping off a high building comes low on my list of desirable endings. I have done a little research and shall do more, but, if anybody here feels able to offer any pointers or suggestions by PM, I shall be very grateful.

I can see circumstances where suicide may be considered by an individual as the way that he or she wants to go. I believe that my life is exactly that it is MY life, mine to do what I want with, therefore if I were to choose to kill myself it is my right to do so.

I cannot comment on Holland, however, I have researched Switzerland and the 2 organizations that offer "assisted"suicide (Dignitas and Exit). In no way do they play God, they make absolutely sure that the deicsion to commit suicide is entirely made by the individual. In the event that the person has left it too long and it is deemed that they are no longer mentally capable of making a sound decision then they will not assist.

Also they will only assist someone who has genuine reasons, for instance illness that means that the quality of their life is utterly miserable with no chance of improvement. The request must normally be backed up with medical evidence and it takes 3 to 4 months from first requesting assistance until the actual death.

A person cannot just walk in off the street and say today's a good day to die, let's go for it.... Absolutely not, care and caution rule the way. As an example they would not assist somebody whose partner had left them and taken all their money, that would not be deemed a valid reason.

The important thing here is that they "assist", they offer counselling and a person must show that their life is beyond hope of getting better, that their quality of life is gone.

In circumstances like this I would wellcome an organization like these 2 to help me die in a painless comortable way, having being able to say a dignified goodbye to my loved ones and been able to put my house in order.

I hope to die at a ripe old age, falling asleep and not waking up, however, it would be good to have the option if required.

I first met John 10 years ago through a mutual hobby and we became good friends. John had served in the British Army and had been posted in Hong Kong were he fell in love with the Far East. He later worked in engineering in Thailand for many years before semi retiring in a consultation roll. John only fully retired a couple of years ago. He was fully active all his life and was still cycling 30+ Km as recently as September 2015. In December he was diagnosed with Peripheral Arterial Disease which makes walking difficult and I guess that's when he started using a wheelchair. We were due to meet this month but John cancelled due to ill health. John must have been in great pain to go to these extremes. John will be missed by his son, daughter and numerous friends worldwide.

post-194842-14585397863868_thumb.jpg

Sad news. My condolences to friends and family remaining.

If he was staying alone and his announcement that he would commit suicide was so readily dismissed, one wonders how supportive & concerned these remaining "friends and family" were.

Telling someone of his intention to commit suicide sounds like a plea for some expression of caring on the part of his neighbor. Having that plea dismissed may have confirmed in his mind that he was truly alone and forgotten.

Edited by Suradit69