Bangkok is the second-most congested city in the world

webfact

Bangkok is the second-most congested city in the world
BY VICTORIA HO

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's capital is known for being among some of the more congested cities in Southeast Asia, but a new study has now placed its traffic jams second just behind Mexico City.

According to Dutch navigation firm TomTom, Bangkok's traffic moves 57% slower on average compared with a clear road situation. During morning peak hours, it slows to a further 85%, and a snail-like 114% in the evening.

Mexico City, in first place, has traffic chugging at 59% slower on average, but never reaches the kind of pace that Bangkok does during its peaks. Mexico City peaks at 97% in the morning, and 94% in the evenings.

Full story: http://mashable.com/2016/03/22/bangkok-traffic-jams/#13rvKKzJMmq1

-- Mashable 2016-03-22

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And what do these 2 cities have in common?

Corruption!

Thats the result of money going into deep pockets of leaders instead of building BTS. lines.

Beg to differ. Both countries have excelling world class town planning...

On our recent return to the UK we found ourselves and two small kids literally squashed into a corner of a tube carriage (en route for Euston) surrounded by snarling, tutting, frowning London commuters for having the temerity to have just landed at Heathrow and having two smallish bags with us and taking up about a square foot of space. The change at Green Park wasn't much fun, nor the subsequent nip up to Euston. The missus was just too tight to let me spring for the Heathrow Express/Taxi combo or a cab all the way, curse her (she's the same in BKK too)...

Compared to when we came from Hualamophong after New Year and had to get to Udomsuk in rush hour where the Thai commuters even helped us, luggage and the kids on/off the BTS and MRT, I know where I'd prefer to meet congestion on a daily basis.

I blame it all on the lack of Police....and of course it's busy yup.

It's normal for Thai to jump the qeueu at U-turns and than just block 1 or 2 more lanes causing huge congestion.

Also taxi's and minivans like to block lanes in peak hours, who cares? They won't get fined anyway, heck nobody even dares to horn to them!

If you life in bangkok, I only used a car for go upcountry.. Inside Bangkok only use Skytrain so good as possible...

There are some spots where the traffic is too much and I can't understand why people go every day only for sit in the car for 1-2 hours.....

Congestion is a fact of material life,

A little looking at how other countries deal with the congestion

should be looked at,

Manila has off days where your number plate is refused entry

into the city like odd or even number, large fines apply, and confiscation if found to have fraudulent number plate

on the vehicle,

just need the will of the people and policy makers, who then have to rely on

the honest hard working diligent police to enforce the bans.

a supertramp song just burst into my head ( DREAMER)

It did seem odd that India didn't make that list at all, and Jakarta is known for terrible traffic, and I've heard that Cairo is worse than here.

Maybe there's a flaw in how they collected that data, places the GPS tracking they used as a source isn't providing input.

Doesn't appear that India, Indonesia, or the Phillipines is even in the survey. Likely because of the lack of GPS data.

Bangkok is bad, but I think Jakarta and manila are worse. Neither one has hardly any expressways which at least Bangkok has, even though they can get really congested, it is better then the surface streets you have to use in Jakarta or manila.

TH

Doesn't appear that India, Indonesia, or the Phillipines is even in the survey. Likely because of the lack of GPS data.

Bangkok is bad, but I think Jakarta and manila are worse. Neither one has hardly any expressways which at least Bangkok has, even though they can get really congested, it is better then the surface streets you have to use in Jakarta

Jakarta and Manilla are bad ,but at least with Bangkok you have good public transport .Although big area of Bangkok are still not covered .Saying BKK is the 2 nd most congested does not paint a true picture .

Worlds largest parking lot. One of the reasons I dislike BKK.

EDIT: For those who don't know, Google Maps offers navigation and time estimates right in the browser. Select traffic from overlays, set the time you'll be travelling and origin & destination. I've found it fairly accurate and use it to optimize my routes.

Edited by DrTuner

If you life in bangkok, I only used a car for go upcountry.. Inside Bangkok only use Skytrain so good as possible...

There are some spots where the traffic is too much and I can't understand why people go every day only for sit in the car for 1-2 hours.....

The BTS only covers a small portion of Bangkok, primarily key arteries in central Bangkok. I live in western Bangkok and the nearest BTS terminal is about 5 KMs away from my Bangkok residence as the crow flies. Yea, the BTS is fine to go to a limited range of places within Bangkok. Fortunately the BTS is slowly expanding its lines/coverage...give it another 5 years and it will cover more of Bangkok but even then when looking at Bangkok as a whole the BTS will still only cover a limited portion. Many more cars, buses, and taxis are still in Bangkok's future even with the BTS expansion.

Yes tell me about it soi 22 to soi 13 sukhumvit 30 minutes.

Could have walked to there and back...but then, one has to first walk...

Indeed I could,but not with my daughter who's 2 and half and my mother who's 66 and my father who's 69.

But I appreciate the tip.

Yes tell me about it soi 22 to soi 13 sukhumvit 30 minutes.

Could have walked to there and back...but then, one has to first walk...

Sometimes a sidewalk, sometimes not. But always bloody hot!!!!!!! 55555

Yes for the cost of an air conditioned cab or at a push a tuk tuk to entertain my parents 100 baht is not to costly is it now.

The BTS only covers a small portion of Bangkok, primarily key arteries in central Bangkok. I live in western Bangkok and the nearest BTS terminal is about 5 KMs away from my Bangkok residence as the crow flies. Yea, the BTS is fine to go to a limited range of places within Bangkok. Fortunately the BTS is slowly expanding its lines/coverage...give it another 5 years and it will cover more of Bangkok but even then when looking at Bangkok as a whole the BTS will still only cover a limited portion. Many more cars, buses, and taxis are still in Bangkok's future even with the BTS expansion.

What Bangkok's public transport network will look like in 2020 (hopefully, but they do have a plan)

post-7298-0-87171000-1458651602_thumb.jp