Maximum security alert at subway train stations, airports, and embassies in Thailand

webfact

Maximum security at subway train stations, airports, and embassies

301-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Maximum security alert was put at subway, sky train stations and major airports, embassies, department stores in Bangkok and the provinces in wake of the terror attack in Brussels yesterday which killed 35 people and injured over 200 yesterday.

The Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) today put maximum security alerts on all its subway train stations, train depots and all its facilities.

The maximum alert includes stepped up patrols on all its facilities by its own security men, soldiers and police, along with explosive ordnance disposal units manned at some stations where there are many foreigners, tightened checkup of passengers’ belongings, luggage and package.

Moreover sniffing dogs were also deployed at some subway stations to detect suspicious objects.

Security men will monitor passengers closely, particularly foreigners.

Security alert at Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Hat Yai were also raised to level 3 to assure safety for passengers and those visiting the airports.

Level 3, out of 4, is said to have been the highest level of safety ever implemented at these airports.

Airport officials are expected to be monitoring surveillance cameras around the clock for any suspicious people or activities.

Under this security level, stricter passenger and luggage search for any forbidden items and weapons as well as a thorough x-ray scan within the airport terminal will be enforced.

Random check will be conducted on travelling passengers and also non passengers in the airports, and all airport staff and airline employees will also need to have entry and exit cards in entering restricted areas.

Besides, soldiers and police will coordinate to safeguard the airports.

The Belgium Embassy in Bangkok was placed at maximum security alerts with police checking vehicles passing the area, and more security men were posted.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156419

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-23

So this level 3 alert at Don Mueang today on the baggage xray screening does not apply to the young thai woman operator who was manning the xray screen...totally NOT watching the screen but instead playing Candy Crush on her phone..!!! I observed her for a full 10 minutes meanwhile dozens of bags passed through the xray machine....there were 3 staff on the xray machine...one loading the bags at the front end...one staff member at the rear recovering the plastic trays...and "Miss Candy Crush"...Level 3 my arse. !!

If a terrorist attack happens, and I pray it won't, the Thai media will be told to report it as a minor 'misunderstanding' between some unknown group of dissidents and the Thai police/government, just like the last bomb incidents in Bangkok. After all, nothing can be allowed to stand in the way of TAT's foreign arrivals statistics, least of all the truth.

Edited by joebrown

I think a likely scenario for a terrorist attack in Thailand would be a beach assault on tourists. Could the RTP deal with that?

This has been my thought process too. My sister is visiting me here as I haven't seen her for 6 years, and we were sat on the beach as her resorts basically backs up onto a beach, and after hearing of these attacks the whole Tunisian incident went through my mind

So this level 3 alert at Don Mueang today on the baggage xray screening does not apply to the young thai woman operator who was manning the xray screen...totally NOT watching the screen but instead playing Candy Crush on her phone..!!! I observed her for a full 10 minutes meanwhile dozens of bags passed through the xray machine....there were 3 staff on the xray machine...one loading the bags at the front end...one staff member at the rear recovering the plastic trays...and "Miss Candy Crush"...Level 3 my arse. !!

Did you check her phone? She may have already surpassed Level 3. Oh wait! You were talking about the security alert. Sorry.

Less security at Don Meuang today. Document checker befor immigration on departure, didn't even look at my papers. Too busy talking to his mate. Handed them straight back. What a joke. Singapore on the other hand, also did carry on screening for arrivals. First time I've seen that.

Less security at Don Meuang today. Document checker befor immigration on departure, didn't even look at my papers. Too busy talking to his mate. Handed them straight back. What a joke. Singapore on the other hand, also did carry on screening for arrivals. First time I've seen that.

Singapore have been doing screening on arrival for years. I've seen one gate in particular screen arrivals many times while sitting around waiting for my flight.

On the other hand, if we DO get searched thoroughly EVERY time we enter a department store or a station or any public area, then the quality of life suffers and the terrorists have had a victory anyway.

So should we live in fear in Thailand too? Or should we leave the fear to the Americans?

Edited by bangon04

If there is going to be an attack I hope they have a work permit for it. There will be a big fine if they dont

Maybe if they just add it to the list of jobs prohibited for aliens, we will all be safer...

If it is a reserved occupation that will be it. They will be sat around wondering were they can attack. Great idea

Singapore have been doing screening on arrival for years. I've seen one gate in particular screen arrivals many times while sitting around waiting for my flight.

Singapore airport seems to always have high security. Groups of 3 young healthy welltrained men with huge machineguns. They just walk around and use the trains but always have their fingers on the trigger i noticed.

At Don Muang i saw a Thai security with an old cowboystyle revolver on his white belt with 6 spare bullets so he can reload in a shootout. gigglem.gif His shoes and hairdo were looking great though.

No resolution yet of the case of the police officer with the gun on the Japan flight; nor that of the senior official who decided to box the ears of the young security guard who had dared to subject him to a security screening.

Singapore airport seems to always have high security. Groups of 3 young healthy welltrained men with huge machineguns. They just walk around and use the trains but always have their fingers on the trigger i noticed.

At Don Muang i saw a Thai security with an old cowboystyle revolver on his white belt with 6 spare bullets so he can reload in a shootout. gigglem.gif His shoes and hairdo were looking great though.

Yeah, completely agree with you. The Singapore airport guys are diligent, but their firearms safety is lacking. It's an accident waiting to happen. They walk around so recklessly with those loaded fully automatic assault rifles. I was walking through the airport one night looking for an ATM, and noticed the guards holding their guns pointed at sidewards towards myself as they walked passed, not at the ground. Again, fingers on the trigger like you mentioned. Scared the crap outta me. You only cover the trigger when you're ready to fire.

Leaving CNX two days ago I saw a rolling suitcase sitting next to the entrance, unattended.

Curious, I moved away from it but watched the area while waiting on my ride. I watched an unattended suitcase for around 15 minutes before I was picked up. Security didn't care nor did anyone else.

There is no real security here. Just farmers who are told to blow whistles and make people stand in line.

Thailand is a sitting duck should anyone decide to bomb any part of it.