What a birthday! Chinese tourist robbed on the way to hotel in Pattaya

webfact

What a birthday! Chinese tourist robbed on the way to hotel in Pattaya

Thaivisa Reporters

p2.jpg

PATTAYA:-- A Chinese tourist out with friends to celebrate his birthday was robbed in the street as a motorcycle thief made off with a valuable Cartier gold necklace, reports Thaivisa News.

The incident that left a laceration on the man's throat, prompted friends of the man to complain that police are not doing enough to protect tourists. A whole tour group was seen taking off valuable accessories and putting them in safer places to guard against theft.

It was Mr Hong Chang's first day in Pattaya and he was out with a large group of friends celebrating his fortieth birthday. The owner of an electronics factory in Shanghai, he told police he was on his way home after going to a pub in the Soi 29/1 area of Na Klua.

Speaking through an interpreter he said he was crossing the road to get a taxi to his hotel when a man on a motorcycle with a closed face helmet slowed down to let him pass. "I thought it was a kind Thai person letting me cross," said the victim, "but he soon turned on me and grabbed the gold from my neck."

The thief disappeared into the night without a trace.

Mr Chang said that the necklace was worth some 50,000 yuan or approximately 250,000 baht.

As police led by Kaewaleesiri Phasuktanapaisan descended on the scene shocked friends of the victim reacted angrily. They all started taking off valuable accessories and putting them in safer places about their person as they complained loudly that police should do more to protect tourists.

Kaewaleesiri assured them that she would investigate the case, check local CCTV and attempt to bring the perpetrator to justice so that the crime would not be repeated.

tvn.png

-- 2016-03-24

Quote "" check local CCTV and attempt to bring the perpetrator to justice so that the crime would not be repeated"" cheesy.gif

If the "perpetrator" is caught, which is highly unlikely, as is the local CCTV functioning, how would this stop this type of crime being repeated ? Oh I forgot, I'm in Thailand.

Do it read too much in the forum and have the false impression that these robberies get more and more frequent?

So many reports just during this week.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Quote "" check local CCTV and attempt to bring the perpetrator to justice so that the crime would not be repeated"" cheesy.gif

If the "perpetrator" is caught, which is highly unlikely, as is the local CCTV functioning, how would this stop this type of crime being repeated ? Oh I forgot, I'm in Thailand.

OTOP - One Tambon One Product

OCOC - One Crime One Criminal gigglem.gif

"They all started taking off valuable accessories and putting them in safer places about their person as they complained loudly that police should do more to protect tourists."

So these tourists thought that the police might try to steal their valuables? Or just that being in the same area would make them vulnerable despite being in the presence of the police?

Then again, I don't think I would have reacted very differently, had one of my friends/family members etc. been robbed.

250,000 baht? sign on head "Rob Me" with target on back.

Maybe some flashing LEDs next time.

Scrotes are lurking, no matter what the value of anything is...I reckon Pattaya will go down the pan...It's days are numbered because of the laid back attitude of those employed to protect....

So you reckon folk should walk around in a bin bag on holiday...?

Pattaya will not go "down the pan" It is already a toilet. The tour buses will keep coming. The Chinese tour groups will be dragged around Pattaya and gawk at the natives. They will continue to eat in designated restaurants and shop in designated shops for the usual tourist tat. They will not change behaviour unless these stories go viral every day on Chinese social media.

The fact that Pattaya is a toilet does not deter the farang tourists who want to gawk at the cut price sex industry. Do they educate themselves about the danger? Do we read stories of street robberies and worse every day?

The Russians are not deterred. They see worse at home without the sunshine. Why should the Chinese be deterred?

you have to be a little bit stupid to go to any area in the world where there are poor people and drug addicts, and walk around with valuable jewellery.

You can get killed in Canada for that too.

One can be taken out by what folk think is in your back pocket by the colour of your skin.....If you fear everything, stay at home...

Or don't be stupid and flaunt expensive jewelry when in poor areas.

Common sense goes a long way to reducing your odds of being a victim.

I find no humor in the pain, misery and misfortune of others. Those that do, I stay clear of.

I flash no cash, wear no jewelry and try to be aware of my surroundings while living here in the LOS and elsewhere. Some of the smiling have sinister designs, be they local or two-legged imports.

How come no one is doubting now that its a made up story? Like many did for that iranian who got robbed almost same way. No one saying this could be fake or copy as china is famous for making copies?/ No one also pointing religion here. ???

Mean people with mean mind brings religion into everything. There are good and bad in every society, religion, nation.

you have to be a little bit stupid to go to any area in the world where there are poor people and drug addicts, and walk around with valuable jewellery.

You can get killed in Canada for that too.

One can be taken out by what folk think is in your back pocket by the colour of your skin.....If you fear everything, stay at home...

Or don't be stupid and flaunt expensive jewelry when in poor areas.

Common sense goes a long way to reducing your odds of being a victim.

So I must not have a thick wallet in my back pocket, not drive a hired Merc, not buy two big macs, not be a movie star, in fact, stay in my hotel in case l am hansum..........Total rollox............rolleyes.gif

Honestly I don't give a rats ass what you do. I don't live in fear, but I do use common sense whenever I go out, anywhere in the world.

There are predators out there looking for victims of all kinds. The more common sense you use, the less likely you are to be their choice of a target.

Do you leave your door unlocked at home when you go out because you think locking it will mean you are living in fear?

I really don't know why you find that concept so hard to wrap your brain around.

Maybe you like picking stupid arguments? Is the wife out of town?

Let's see- in the last week for Pattaya and Phuket- people robbed on the street; ladyboys slapping or knifing elderly foreigners; throw in a murder or two; people falling from balconies; some suicides or attempted suicides; ex wife's swindling money; bar security pounding on tourists. I can't wait for next week to come so it can all start again.Oh, that's right we still have the weekend for more fun...

Edited by Thaidream

Do it read too much in the forum and have the false impression that these robberies get more and more frequent?

So many reports just during this week.

There was a Thai Visa News thread not long ago about a thai guy that set his GF alight.

The source led to a Thai news report from 4 years ago.

now the Thai Visa format is to not post any other source than Thai Visa News, with no dates.