What makes Thai mattresses so damn heavy?

giddyup

we have the same problem it does become a challenge just to change the sheets - also find they are very firm for sleeping on though am getting used to that.

A good quality topper can make a big difference in the feel of the bed. Fitted sheets don't require lifting the bed to change.

Edited by villagefarang

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a firm or med firm matress?....the new Sealy systems have up to 2000 coils, foam and built in toppers. The newer ones seem prettt heavy....I bought one for my gf two weeks ago and nearly died moving it upstairs into her bedroom....hope it sleeps well....

There's no way I could move mine anywhere by myself, it's a minimum two man job.

Really? You do this with YOUR MAN?

we have the same problem it does become a challenge just to change the sheets - also find they are very firm for sleeping on though am getting used to that.

A good quality topper can make a big difference in the feel of the bed. Fitted sheets don't require lifting the bed to change.

Don't know how you put the sheet corners on without lifting the mattress.

It is a firm or med firm matress?....the new Sealy systems have up to 2000 coils, foam and built in toppers. The newer ones seem prettt heavy....I bought one for my gf two weeks ago and nearly died moving it upstairs into her bedroom....hope it sleeps well....

There's no way I could move mine anywhere by myself, it's a minimum two man job.

Really? You do this with YOUR MAN?

You have a problem with that?

The sheets are fitted with an elastic band around the bottom which holds them in place without the need to tuck in the corners like you do with flat sheets. A perfect fit so no fuss.

The sheets are fitted with an elastic band around the bottom which holds them in place without the need to tuck in the corners like you do with flat sheets. A perfect fit so no fuss.

Goodness me, I know what a fitted sheet is, didn't just step off the turnip truck! You still have to lift the mattress corner to get the sheet under, especially with a bedhead and a bed end.

My gf doesn't have her own bed, she sleeps in mine.

If the pocket of the sheet isn't big enough that the elestic band goes under the mattress, for which of course you have to lift the mattress, you will wake up every morning with the elastic band next to your pillow.

Goodness me, I know what a fitted sheet is, didn't just step off the turnip truck! You still have to lift the mattress corner to get the sheet under, especially with a bedhead and a bed end.

I don't have that problem and don't understand why you do.

These guys seem to manage okay without lifting the mattress

I doubt if the corners are even underneath the mattress in that video, the sheet would end up in a ball in the middle of the bed in the morning.

Edited by giddyup

If the pocket of the sheet isn't big enough that the elestic band goes under the mattress, for which of course you have to lift the mattress, you will wake up every morning with the elastic band next to your pillow.

Sounds like you don't have the right sheets because I never have that problem.

It is the density of the coils and depth of the mattress. More coils are actually a selling point as it provides more support with less movement and wave effect across the surface of the bed. I am pretty sure my bed is even heavier than yours but I am not complaining because it is so comfortable to sleep on.

No complaints about comfort, but I do like to rotate my mattress every 3 months, ie turn it over and rotate 180 degrees.

Every 3 months seems a little excessive. Probably doing more damage by flipping it over and bending it in the process.

It is the density of the coils and depth of the mattress. More coils are actually a selling point as it provides more support with less movement and wave effect across the surface of the bed. I am pretty sure my bed is even heavier than yours but I am not complaining because it is so comfortable to sleep on.

No complaints about comfort, but I do like to rotate my mattress every 3 months, ie turn it over and rotate 180 degrees.

Every 3 months seems a little excessive. Probably doing more damage by flipping it over and bending it in the process.

Do a Google search. That's what's recommended.

You must be a professional bed maker, the rest of us are just lowly amateurs.

My wife, who weighs less than our Golden Retriever, doesn’t seem to have a problem putting on sheets either. We are both competent individuals, nothing more. Sorry to hear about you lowly amateur status and hope you get upgraded soon.tongue.png

There is no way you could bend our mattress.

My wife, who weighs less than our Golden Retriever, doesn’t seem to have a problem putting on sheets either. We are both competent individuals, nothing more. Sorry to hear about you lowly amateur status and hope you get upgraded soon.tongue.png

Anywhere I can take a course in advanced bed-making?

Anywhere I can take a course in advanced bed-making?

You might ask Mr. Google.

There is no way you could bend our mattress.

Challenge accepted!

I don't mean bending it like a taco. There will definitely be some bending during the flipping maneuver.

Do a Google search. That's what's recommended.

I read many different things on google. Just because its on google doesn't mean its right. The main thing they focus on is the springs sagging. Springs don't magically come back to life every 3 months of not being used.

I read many different things on google. Just because its on google doesn't mean its right. The main thing they focus on is the springs sagging. Springs don't magically come back to life every 3 months of not being used.

It's to distribute wear and tear on the mattress. If you never rotate your mattress you are going to notice a discolouring of the cover in the spot you sleep, it may help to stop springs sagging on the same side as well. It's what I prefer to do, others may disagree. Up to you.

The mattress that came with my rental here is quite heavy, and hard as hell! I like a firm mattress, but had to buy a couple of those "picnic" mats to make it sleepable. The landlord said "But it is a good mattress! Made from coconut fiber". I think coconut fiber and no springs. Fortunately I seem to still be fairly strong... the GF was surprised when, upon being challenged, I was able to lift her. whistling.gif

bed bugs ???????????????cheesy.gif

It's a combination of bed bugs and ooze from the last hundred couples that 'slept' on it ?

Op you really need to move out from the short time hotel 55555

Did you not read that I said I'd bought a NEW mattress?