Tires in Thailand

rocoa01

From what I understand tires "expire" six years from the date of production, even if they have sufficient tread. However I have noticed that here in Thailand many locals buy a fresh set of tires every two years, regardless if they have sufficient tread or not, simply because they feel tires that are older then 3-4 years old are dangerous. Every time we get our car worked on the shop advises me that I need new tires, the tread is fine and they were produced in 2013. Does anyone else get told constantly that they need new tires?

4 years in, only 50,000km. If anyone told me my tyres were at their end of life, I'd just assume it was a terrible attempt to sell me some new tyres. Bridgestones, still in excellent condition. Nearly always parked in the shade though, would make a difference if they had been baked in the sun day in day out.

• Like 2

So, if you don'y change them, even if there is still a lot of "meat" on them, can you either be Prosecuted or in the event of an accident, have a claim refused because of "allegedly" out of date Tyres?

Tires have a manufacture date, not a use by date.

How do they become "out of date"?.

• Like 2

Never changed my tires after two years and never been advised to. I generally go by the condition of the tires, to keep them balanced I just rotate them every 10k so they wear evenly. That would help them to last longer.

Make sure they aren't directional as many tyres are these day.

• Like 1

In the UK I used to change my tyres every two years as a best practice, in the tropics someone once told me you should change every two years as the high temperatures cause the tyre quality to deteriate quickly

In a few tropical countries, I've seen car owners cover their tyres with cardboard to 'prevent them getting baked'.

Yes it gets far hotter in many parts of Australia, and I've never seen tyres covered. They also get quite hot in normal driving.

Police consider tyres need replacing when the tread has worn down level with the 'tread band'. It's nothing to do with time - it's normal wear and dependent on the type of road you drive on.

• Like 1

After 5 years my OEM Bridgestones got so hard it seemed they would never wear out. I changed them at 190,000 km because of the loss of traction and squealing in turns because the rainy season was coming up.

There was lots of tread but the lack of traction made me decide to change them.

Never changed my tires after two years and never been advised to. I generally go by the condition of the tires, to keep them balanced I just rotate them every 10k so they wear evenly. That would help them to last longer.

Make sure they aren't directional as many tyres are these day.

I follow the guide in the owners manual and use the stock tyres, hopefully I haven't wrecked them doing it this way.

I replaced the OEM Bridgestones on my old Nissan Frontier at 90,000 kilometers. They still looked good. While I was in the tire shop, a German guy started talking to me. At first I was amused then I started to become irritated. He told me my tires were dangerous and that I must not love my wife because I put her in danger. He changed his tires every two years. If his "worn" out tires would have been the right size, I would have put them on my truck.

• Like 1

Change every 2 years is an old wives' tale - perhaps it might have been the case 40 years ago when the tyre technology was not as advanced.

For passenger cars with normal driving and routine maintenance, 5 years easy, depending on the tread and cuts etc.

Of course, if you punish a Ferrari around a track on public race days, then probably a few outings.

• Like 1

I recently changed my two years old Pirelli P Zero. The rubber had start cracking, and the rear tires had almost no thread. 4 years seems to be an absolute maximum lifespan in Thailand. I never had a tire longer than three.

to cite one make on one car of one customer is simply a false syllogism.

yeah cause a Michelin on a truck is exactly the same scenario as a P Zero on a performance sedan.

cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif

The OP only says he has a car - not what type, not how he drives or his mileage etc etc.

You change every 2 years but again no specifics. Others have mentioned high mileage and more than 5 years before changing. So many different factors. I am surprised no one has referenced the epic thread from some years ago about tyres in general......

The OP stated several points most of which have been refuted - if his tyres need replacing what can the garage see that he cannot......?

I noticed a large deterioration in performance after 2-3 years with a set of OEM Bridgestones. Replaced them with a new set of Michelins and it transformed the car.

Bridgestones seem to have always had this concern....

In the states I went exclusively with Michelins on the 3 cars - never looked back.....

I tried to buy Michelins here the last time around along with a 5 wheel/tire upgrade - was told "no can do"....

Drove about a kilometer and did the upgrade but not with the Michelins....

The last 2 times I went to the Michelin dealer for tire needs he was not there and I got what I wanted....Too bad - they missed a good sale the first time....

Once you buy them - Michelins - it makes it tough to go back to something else....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. This forum is great for getting advice. I think it's a matter of wear combined with the expiration date. Everyone wants to sell you something you don't need, but that racket is worldwide, not specific to Thailand.

yeah cause a Michelin on a truck is exactly the same scenario as a P Zero on a performance sedan.

cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif

The OP only says he has a car - not what type, not how he drives or his mileage etc etc.

You change every 2 years but again no specifics. Others have mentioned high mileage and more than 5 years before changing. So many different factors. I am surprised no one has referenced the epic thread from some years ago about tyres in general......

The OP stated several points most of which have been refuted - if his tyres need replacing what can the garage see that he cannot......?

Yeah.... use your eyes. I was not replying to the OP....

I change mine every 2 years because I can.

I usually change tires every 2-3 years, because by then, ride quality has gone down, and road noise has gone up - both of which happen long before there's any visible deterioration of the rubber, and long before treadwear is even a concern.

All brands are the same, been there, done that.

• Like 1

For all you guys that change your tires at 4+ years old - it's amazing how much quieter and compliant the new ones always are huh? biggrin.png

When I go to the car wash sit and have a beer, They give me the keys when finished...

The cockpit smell is like the first class lounge at the airport...I tut at having to adjust my seat for my short legs.....Light up a ciggy.....Look around....The guys are waiting for my expression of satisfaction....They are worried, I turn the key, of course the Toyota springs into life with no hesitation.....I glance out the window.....Folks eyes are wide open.....Just looking for their job satisfaction. Trans looks, puts the thing in drive....gazes ...smiles...

I sing them a song from Trans song collection Vol.2...giggle.gif .....They all feeeeerked off..sad.png

Sorry, off topic, hmmm, tyres......get back to you...facepalm.gif

......OH (spare) us.....

Little tire humor there....

For all you guys that change your tires at 4+ years old - it's amazing how much quieter and compliant the new ones always are huh? :D

Some on the forum would say the same about their wife/gf :)

sent from my left foot

• Like 2