THE England thread

rijit

Square pegs round holes! Only exception Rooney, he's a natural in two positions.

Rooney has for once hit fitness and form at the right time for England.

It's great for him and would be for England a few years ago but I wonder how he will cope with the Welsh pressing game for an hour on Thursday.

They will try to expose his lack of pace at every turn....really unless England make changes...aka binning Sterling and playing a true 4-2-3-1 then I think they are going to struggle to beat the Welsh.

Wales have their tails high and really do have the quality to score...Bale might be a pink shorts Ponce but he's also a bloody good player.

We've got 4 class strikers in the squad, and you want to play just one? Makes no sense. Just like hodgson. With bale likely to score our best approach is to outscore them rather than pack the defence. Play to our strengths not try and hide our weaknesses.

Hodgson relishing a fixture 'between brothers'
osted at
England manager Roy Hodgson has brushed off comments made by Wales players in the build-up to Thursday's Euro 2016 game between the sides.
Gareth Bale claimed that Wales have more passion than England, while Aaron Ramsey said he felt the Welsh players are better on paper.

Hodgson says he welcomes the "spice" and "interest" in a fixture "between brothers", adding: "I don’t have doubts about our desire, passion and commitment. If people have another opinion then that's fine by me. It's not worthy of comment.”

from BBC.

Edited by Travel2003

Square pegs round holes! Only exception Rooney, he's a natural in two positions.

It's great for him and would be for England a few years ago but I wonder how he will cope with the Welsh pressing game for an hour on Thursday.

They will try to expose his lack of pace at every turn....really unless England make changes...aka binning Sterling and playing a true 4-2-3-1 then I think they are going to struggle to beat the Welsh.

Wales have their tails high and really do have the quality to score...Bale might be a pink shorts Ponce but he's also a bloody good player.

We've got 4 class strikers in the squad, and you want to play just one? Makes no sense. Just like hodgson. With bale likely to score our best approach is to outscore them rather than pack the defence. Play to our strengths not try and hide our weaknesses.

OK play 4-2-4...I'd love to see that. :D

OK play 4-2-4...I'd love to see that. :D

Back in my footballing days the formation was, from the back, 2_3_5, which migrated to 3_3_4.

Wales's trying to get under their skin (mammoth-motor-mouth bale) will backfire dramatically and they're going to get spanked. wink.png

Wales seem to be cock a hoop already. Listening to all the welsh pundits they've got every angle covered. They've already got 3 points in the bag.

Please...please...don't pick sterling. How hodgson thought he played well just shows how inept they both are. Any update on team selection?

Given how we started in the last game i can't see the manager making any changes, but i agree about Sterling, just what does he bring to the side ?

Wales's trying to get under their skin (mammoth-motor-mouth bale) will backfire dramatically and they're going to get spanked. wink.png

Wales seem to be cock a hoop already. Listening to all the welsh pundits they've got every angle covered. They've already got 3 points in the bag.

nah wales have nothing to lose. all the pressure is on england and hodgson here. i'm enjoying bale's gentle sledging though.

Please...please...don't pick sterling. How hodgson thought he played well just shows how inept they both are. Any update on team selection?

Given how we started in the last game i can't see the manager making any changes, but i agree about Sterling, just what does he bring to the side ?

More worried about Kane to be honest. Can't help thinking Sturridge or Vardy should be playing.

paul scholes reckoned england should start sturridge for this one. i like kane but he is a very premier league style of striker, which might be a blessing for the wales defenders. bale and ramsey will be a handful for the england defence.

What a difference with the right guys on the pitch. Wilshere for Lallana in the 70th please - his short 1-2s with the likes of Vardy and Sturridge should work well.

Yippee - Welsh hearts broken.

Please put Sterling and Lallana back in the subs box now please Roy.

Pep has a lot of work to do this Summer!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1