THE England thread

rijit

I suppose that game put all the Rooney doubters to shame then he was our best player by far and was outstanding in MIDFIELD.

Agreed. Roy seems to have re-branded him as a mixture of defending, holding and creative attacking midfielder. I thought he was outstanding - best game I've seen him play for years.

Never knew Llallana could play the channels so well either.

Only a couple of successful strikes short of one of England's best performances in decades in a tournament finals. Fix the front of goal issue and we'll walk through the qualifiers even with a slightly dodgy defence (which is why we will probably go no further than that). But Russia will also qualify easily - I thought they were well organised at the back and looked well capable of hitting us on the break in the first half. How is first and second sorted out if points are equal?

Rooney proving all the haters wrong again, had an outstanding game. Stirling would still not get in my Sunday side, pitiful performance. As for the managers substitutions, just awful.

However we did play well for most of the game so no reason to be all gloom and doom.

Am i the only person who felt Hart was to blame for their goal ?

• Like 1

Dissapointed with the result,and never did i think i would ever see english supporters run away,if our proper lads had been there would have been very different,yet they are all banned,so the Russkis take on lads who ain't up for it,women and children,and old guys,disgrace that they even call them self ultra's beating on fat drunk lads there to watch the game,the Russkis don't seem to ban there own hooligans,in fact they were crowing about it in the russian papers,the whole thing has been a discrace in marseille,both teams should be banned from the tournament and sent home,the 3 days of drunken mayhem is typical,and the English lads must have known this would happen,if the real Geezers had been around they would of had the situation calmer,and dealt with the Russki's when they attacked,i condone none of this,but i speak the facts,both Russia and England should now be barred,with Isis lurking this is the last thing we need.

I suppose that game put all the Rooney doubters to shame then he was our best player by far and was outstanding in MIDFIELD.

haha, "outstanding". he played pretty well in the first half against a poor russian side. once they stepped up a bit second half he vanished and was found out. think it was probably harsh to sub him but then the substitutions were much too late and wrong when they came.

• Like 1

Thought everyone contributed apart from Sterling.

There was one moment when a Russian attack broke down and he had the ball around the half way line. Instead of getting control of the ball and at taking his man he try to play a left footed half volley pass through ball. Awful!

Vardy or Sturridge or Barkely should of been giving a chance after 60 mins instead of him. Can't believe he stayed on the pitch so long

haha, "outstanding". he played pretty well in the first half against a poor russian side. once they stepped up a bit second half he vanished and was found out. think it was probably harsh to sub him but then the substitutions were much too late and wrong when they came.

Yes he was outstanding in a role you said he wasn't capable of playing you was wrong lar! He is still the best chance we have of breaking open the opposition with his passing and goals...please get over yourself pal.

If he played pretty well what about the rest? doesnt matter that you keep boringly monotonously tediously keep slating anything to do with England and Hodgson ....Rooney ran his legs off and was involved in everything good about our performance ...vanished and was found out LOL Behave yourself with silly comments like that!

The subs were too late yes Sterling and Lala should of been turfed off at half time for Sturridge Vardy or Rashford but England did not do a bad job in a opening game and Ali and Rose and even Hart need to look at themselves for losing concentration for the goal.

• Like 2

Yes he was outstanding in a role you said he wasn't capable of playing you was wrong lar! He is still the best chance we have of breaking open the opposition with his passing and goals...please get over yourself pal.

If he played pretty well what about the rest? doesnt matter that you keep boringly monotonously tediously keep slating anything to do with England and Hodgson ....Rooney ran his legs off and was involved in everything good about our performance ...vanished and was found out LOL Behave yourself with silly comments like that!

The subs were too late yes Sterling and Lala should of been turfed off at half time for Sturridge Vardy or Rashford but England did not do a bad job in a opening game and Ali and Rose and even Hart need to look at themselves for losing concentration for the goal.

Dream on, we were incapable of beating a pub side. Square pegs, round holes and inept tactical management.

Shame because theres a core of really talented players that could go the distance.

• Like 1

Rooney played well but was tiring, so his substitution was warranted. Sterling failed to impress - he really is a lightweight - and Vardy should have replaced him at half-time because Vardy scores goals - something that Lallana (he's not a natural striker) and Sterling didn't. Why Hodgson can't see that is unbelievable.

All this talk about having a 'balanced' team (that doesn't score) as against an 'unbalanced' team (that stands a much better chance of scoring) is also a misjudgement on Hodgson's part.

Play the attack that the other teams will fear. Not rocket science, is it?

My team: Vardy (left) and Kane (right) up front (Sturridge if fit, to sub one of them at 60 minutes), midfield 4, Rooney Ali and Dier and 1 other, and same back 4, with Walker backing up Kane and Rose backing up Vardy. Rooney and Ali attacking midfield.

Seems like a strange formation without someone playing centre forward facepalm.gif

Eh? This is 442 shape. 2 strikers, not wingers. Kane working the right centre and Vardy the left centre.

Well they must be playing wide if they are being helped out by by the full back's facepalm.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Shame because theres a core of really talented players that could go the distance.

... led by a donkey-arsed manager who should be whipped furiously by the FA President, Prince William no less, like the donkey buttock manager he is.

MrRed, Rooney needs to be on the bench and only brought on if we go 6-0 down.

Seriously, Wales are going to expose England if Woy carries on his nonsense team selections and tactical management, or lack of.

Wales are in the driving seat and have a massive team spirit. I saw it last night with my own eyes. Chris Coleman should be bleeding England manager and not that knob-end.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Rose lost concentration !!!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png he challenged a bloke who was a foot taller than him, did you not see the game ? in fact

Smalling should have been looking after there big fella, oh no he wouldn't be at fault cos he plays for your mob biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn

Good reading this thread, for what it's worth I thought England were excellent last night, could so easily have been 3 or 4.

I agree with the sterling part, Vardy for me.

Looks to me like we're set for a good game on Thursday.

Well done Wales by the way, get set for disappointment on Thursday!

Don't put your mortgage on it.

I can see Woy staring in to space at half time.

I'm due another prediction, and it's not in England's favour.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

I'm sure it will be a very easy victory for England on Thursday then another the next game ending up group winners. Wales will loose on Thursday followed with a defeat by Russia in their final group game. That group finishes.... 1st England, 2nd Russia, 3rd Wales because of the victory over a very very poor Slovakia! Surely anyone who has the slightest inkling about football could have seen this from both games played already.

^^ Keep on topic son....and anyone with a decent box saw that one live (Setanta or Sky...depending on your choice of commentary) + NZ v Wales as well as all the footie anywaygiggle.gif ....A long day, but worth it...Still managed to win the golf today...No sleep till Brooklyn!thumbsup.gif

I'm sure it will be a very easy victory for England on Thursday then another the next game ending up group winners. Wales will loose on Thursday followed with a defeat by Russia in their final group game. That group finishes.... 1st England, 2nd Russia, 3rd Wales because of the victory over a very very poor Slovakia! Surely anyone who has the slightest inkling about football could have seen this from both games played already.

That's a very grand prediction, Funkybillyfish. Each to their own.

I'll be back to see you on Friday, as it's one game at a time for me. Unless you're Mystic Meg [septic Peg, ha ha] with the entire group sorted in one fell swoop.

Watch out for the Slovaks, by the way. They're no mugs. A bit heavy on the yellows, though, but that only comes in to play in succeeding games.

My instinct tells me that you're going to be eating humble pie. If you do, you won't be back round these parts for quite some time to come due to the amount of egg on your face.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

Too be fair to Mr Red et al....Rooney played very well but Owl face still screwed up big time. Should have brought Vardy on for Sterling immediately after we scored. No better player in the squad to expose Russia on the break when they were chasing an equalisercoffee1.gif

As I am being magnanimous, think it's a bit unfair slagging off Sterling, seeing as he was being played out of position......on the pitch!biggrin.png

I'll be back to see you on Friday, as it's one game at a time for me. Unless you're Mystic Meg [septic Peg, ha ha] with the entire group sorted in one fell swoop.

Watch out for the Slovaks, by the way. They're no mugs. A bit heavy on the yellows, though, but that only comes in to play in succeeding games.

My instinct tells me that you're going to be eating humble pie. If you do, you won't be back round these parts for quite some time to come due to the amount of egg on your face.

11 starters did well, and England should have put the game beyond reach for Russia long long time before the 1-1 goal came.

Failure to to score on the big chances were the reason why it became 1-1.

• Like 2

If I'm wrong I'll come back and hold my hands up and you can whip me or throw egg in my face a much as you like. It makes no difference anyway as neither team has any chance of winning the tournament!
  • Like 1

Ps. Think the australia 28 vs 39 ENGLAND game is on Setanta at 10pm (for all those like me who unfortunately missed it live yesterday).

Reading your post in this thread is like watching the 2 police cadets in the Police Academy movies, when they entered into a bar they never thought they would end up in.

UEFA warns England and Russia they may be disqualified from Euro 2016 if there is more violence

England and Russia could be disqualified from Euro 2016 if their supporters are involved in further violence, UEFA has said.

UEFA had already opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia over the behaviour of their supporters at the Stade Velodrome in Marseille on Saturday night

There were ugly scenes in the city before and after Saturday's match involving English and Russian supporters and locals, and six British nationals remain in hospital.

On Sunday afternoon, UEFA went much further and warned both nations that if their supporters are involved in more violence, the teams could be thrown out of the competition.

A UEFA statement said: "The UEFA Executive Committee would like to express its disgust for the violent clashes which occurred in the city of Marseille.

"Such unacceptable behaviour by so-called supporters of the national teams of England and Russia has no place in football, a sport we must protect and defend.

"We would also like to publicly voice our support for the work of the French authorities and security forces for their efforts to deliver a safe and secure tournament in challenging circumstances."

There are fears Russian and England supporters could clash again in Lille later this week. Russia play Slovakia in Lille on Wednesday, and England play in nearby Lens on Thursday. But many England fans are staying in Lille.

The Football Association's chief executive Martin Glenn, speaking before UEFA's threat of a ban, told Sky Sports News HQ: "I haven't seen scenes like that in a stadium for decades. The segregation in the ground clearly wasn't strong enough to stop the terrible scenes from happening.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10311663/uefa-warns-england-and-russia-they-may-be-disqualified-from-euro-2016-if-there-is-more-violence

UEFA warns England and Russia they may be disqualified from Euro 2016 if there is more violence

England and Russia could be disqualified from Euro 2016 if their supporters are involved in further violence, UEFA has said.

UEFA had already opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia over the behaviour of their supporters at the Stade Velodrome in Marseille on Saturday night

There were ugly scenes in the city before and after Saturday's match involving English and Russian supporters and locals, and six British nationals remain in hospital.

On Sunday afternoon, UEFA went much further and warned both nations that if their supporters are involved in more violence, the teams could be thrown out of the competition.

A UEFA statement said: "The UEFA Executive Committee would like to express its disgust for the violent clashes which occurred in the city of Marseille.

"Such unacceptable behaviour by so-called supporters of the national teams of England and Russia has no place in football, a sport we must protect and defend.

"We would also like to publicly voice our support for the work of the French authorities and security forces for their efforts to deliver a safe and secure tournament in challenging circumstances."

There are fears Russian and England supporters could clash again in Lille later this week. Russia play Slovakia in Lille on Wednesday, and England play in nearby Lens on Thursday. But many England fans are staying in Lille.

The Football Association's chief executive Martin Glenn, speaking before UEFA's threat of a ban, told Sky Sports News HQ: "I haven't seen scenes like that in a stadium for decades. The segregation in the ground clearly wasn't strong enough to stop the terrible scenes from happening.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10311663/uefa-warns-england-and-russia-they-may-be-disqualified-from-euro-2016-if-there-is-more-violence

You're not getting out of it that easily!:D

Misery and total humiliation...I've started a GoFundMe page dedicated to buying a dinghy to evacuate your squad from Dunkirk!

You're not getting out of it that easily!biggrin.png

Misery and total humiliation...I've started a GoFundMe page dedicated to buying a dinghy to evacuate your squad from Dunkirk!

Maybe you could go along in the dinghy as well. It would mean at least 1 scot got to go to Europe this year

Maybe you could go along in the dinghy as well. It would mean at least 1 scot got to go to Europe this year

We're still in Europe for another few days at least mrboj...have you postal voted yet? :D

Failure to score on the big chances were the reason why it became 1-1.

Surprisingly poor finishing from a nation where most people can hit a French copper with a plastic chair from 30 yards biggrin.png

Nice

biggrin.png

We're still in Europe for another few days at least mrboj...have you postal voted yet? biggrin.png

Oh yes indeed thumbsup.gif