THE England thread

rijit

Poor old Gareth. In all honesty they are a one man team.

Tournament over for Kane and Sterling. I don't think Sterling has international class after all. Kane well maybe worth another chance in a year or so.

I am concerned about Hart.

Not sure about having Rooney as a deep lying playmaker against a side like Wales. I'd prefer Barkley farther up the pitch.

Not sure I'd give up on Kane just yet. OTOH Sterling would not see the light of day.

Credit where it,s due Roy made changes at half time that he would normally shy away from.Maybe he has some luck that all tournament winners need as they both scored. Not sure the Rashford sub worked as we looked poorer for it, but what do i know, we scored the winner when he was on.

2 games and 2 average performances, we will improve i think

Credit where it,s due Roy made changes at half time that he would normally shy away from.Maybe he has some luck that all tournament winners need as they both scored. Not sure the Rashford sub worked as we looked poorer for it, but what do i know, we scored the winner when he was on.

2 games and 2 average performances, we will improve i think

That's his problem "shy away" England won that game because his hand was forced. If it was nil all at half time he'd have been happy that <deleted>. It was obvious he should have brought Vardy and Studge on after 45 mins last week.

Yippee - Welsh hearts broken.

Please put Sterling and Lallana back in the subs box now please Roy.

Pep has a lot of work to do this Summer!

Lallana has played well, and i'd have thought it better to leave him on with Studge rather than bringing on RAshford.

We mugged City off for 49M quid for that other lad laugh.png

• Like 1

Not sure about having Rooney as a deep lying playmaker against a side like Wales. I'd prefer Barkley farther up the pitch.

Not sure I'd give up on Kane just yet. OTOH Sterling would not see the light of day.

Rooney was England's best player?

Lallana has played well, and i'd have thought it better to leave him on with Studge rather than bringing on RAshford.

You did mug City, and got all mardy about it at the time.

whistling.gif That's cold. To be fair, he did set himself up with his 'lack of passion' jibe, though a credit-where-credit's-due comment would have redeemed him somewhat... trouble is with a lot of footballers, for all that on-field talent they often lack in the grey matter department. giggle.gif

Dunno about one-trick pony, thought Ramsey was excellent. Be good to see them go through and send the Ruskies packing.

Rooney was superb.

Rooney was England's best player?

Abso bloody lootly!

• Like 1

And you get the likes of steveh scouse muppets giving it loads ....yes stevei h muppet

morning mr ed. you still haven't got the hang of this football thing have you? must try harder. still, thanks for the personal post, there's only one thing worse than being talked about and all that.

• Like 1

^I have not been the one continually slagging off Hodgson and Rooney and when he turns it around with 2 good substitutions not a word from you and Rooney has been our best player in both games in MIDFIELD....You also said he is never a midfielder!!

I think it is you who hasnt got a hang of this football thing!?

Anyway keep on keeping on with your hatred of all things Hodgson.

• Like 1

^I have not been the one continually slagging off Hodgson and Rooney and when he turns it around with 2 good substitutions not a word from you and Rooney has been our best player in both games in MIDFIELD....You also said he is never a midfielder!!

I think it is you who hasnt got a hang of this football thing!?

Anyway keep on keeping on with your hatred of all things Hodgson.

you're so united blinkered you can't see that rooney's just played fairly well against two really quite rubbish teams and that doesn't suddenly make him a top midfielder. first decent opposition england come up against he'll get exposed.

he isn't a midfielder - why are you maintaining that he is? it's the managerial equivalent of spain playing david silva in defensive midfield, or france playing payet there, or germany putting goetze there. it makes no sense, it's poor management and england have created very few real chances against two weak teams.

sturridge got hodgson out of jail yesterday, because he's really good. scored his goal from the inside left position, helped set up vardy's equaliser from the inside left position, where does hodgson put him on at half-time? right wing.

england are playing alright so far against two poor teams, they're not exactly playing well. but you keep telling yourself rooney is and that hodgson isn't a total spoofer.

Stevie, who would you like to see in the role Rooney is playing currently? I think he's done ok so far, been one of our better players, though I don't agree he's a top class midfielder. You and Red are poles apart, I'm in the middle on this point.

to me it's insane BB. hodgson is the only manager who has gone into this tournament moving his most senior player, his captain, from his usual position - that he's played his entire career - into a position on the field that he does not know and that he has played about half a dozen times at club level. what kind of top manager does that? has del bosque thought "tell you what, david silva could probably do a job in defensive mid"? or as i mentioned above, would france crowbar payet in there? or germany stick goetze in defensive mid? or portugal shifting ronaldo back there?

so this is on top of england having had a properly great qualifying campaign. they won their group undefeated. so why is the tournament when you would start experimenting with players in strange positions they have never played? he even did it in the last qualifier against portugal, harry kane on the right wing and vardy on the left wing - what kind of manager is still experimenting with his team when you've won the group so well? it's just bizarre.

me? i'd play players in the positions they are used to playing at club level and play the lads who are on the back of a good season in the premier league. so probably a midfield three of dier, drinkwater or milner alongside him and alli as the furthest forward of the three, where he had such a good season for spurs. then probably kane with lallana right side of him and sturridge the other. vardy and rooney would be good options off the bench if you were chasing a goal.

• Like 1

Personally, I told youse he was one dimensioned and we wouldn't miss him. Now he's playing worse than that. Must be the City curse

StevieH knocking Rooney playing Midfield saying that its against poor teams.

So what about the other midfielders that play there all the time and haven't been as good as him.

Just cause a player doesn't play there all his career doesn't mean he can't play there.

Giggs moving from left wing to a central position. Scholes from a attacking cm to a deeper playing cm position. Mihajloviv from midfield to defence. Hoddle from cm to sweeper. Chris Sutton from forward to cb.

Just a few that come to mind but I could go on

Stevie, who would you like to see in the role Rooney is playing currently? I think he's done ok so far, been one of our better players, though I don't agree he's a top class midfielder. You and Red are poles apart, I'm in the middle on this point.

to me it's insane BB. hodgson is the only manager who has gone into this tournament moving his most senior player, his captain, from his usual position - that he's played his entire career - into a position on the field that he does not know and that he has played about half a dozen times at club level. what kind of top manager does that? has del bosque thought "tell you what, david silva could probably do a job in defensive mid"? or as i mentioned above, would france crowbar payet in there? or germany stick goetze in defensive mid? or portugal shifting ronaldo back there?

so this is on top of england having had a properly great qualifying campaign. they won their group undefeated. so why is the tournament when you would start experimenting with players in strange positions they have never played? he even did it in the last qualifier against portugal, harry kane on the right wing and vardy on the left wing - what kind of manager is still experimenting with his team when you've won the group so well? it's just bizarre.

me? i'd play players in the positions they are used to playing at club level and play the lads who are on the back of a good season in the premier league. so probably a midfield three of dier, drinkwater or milner alongside him and alli as the furthest forward of the three, where he had such a good season for spurs. then probably kane with lallana right side of him and sturridge the other. vardy and rooney would be good options off the bench if you were chasing a goal.

Also by your thinking Dier would of never been able to play DM as he was always played as he mostly played CB for Sporting Lisbon and when first joining spurs he played RB.

Drinkwater isnt in the squad so forget that. Anyways that is such a defensive midfield. Who is gonna create there. I thought Woy could be defensive but that team takes the biscuit.

^"Giggs moving from left wing to a central position".

I'm not having it that Giggs moving to midfield was a success other than it extended his career, and that's what moving Rooney to midfield (at club level obviously) is trying to do.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Personally, I told youse he was one dimensioned and we wouldn't miss him. Now he's playing worse than that. Must be the City curse
I'm not a Stirling fan, he doesn't look like a naturally talented footballer to me like say KdB, the ball always seems to take a while to control, he doesn't hit it cleanly, and I'd rather play a less talented hardworking nongoalscoring team player like Navas ahead of him (you don't win anything if you don't have a fair share of grafters in your team), but before his injury Sterling was ok (occasionally excellent like Sevilla away), after his injury he looks a very nervous unconfidant player. Sometimes City need to play him rightside, just playing left he's a bit predictable. In the middle he's ok but he'd never keep Silva, KdB, Yaya or Nasri out.

Big season coming up for Sterling.