THE England thread

rijit

Ps. Think the australia 28 vs 39 ENGLAND game is on Setanta at 10pm (for all those like me who unfortunately missed it live yesterday).

Reading your post in this thread is like watching the 2 police cadets in the Police Academy movies, when they entered into a bar they never thought they would end up in.

Nope, read your post several times but still non the wiser.

• Like 1

^"Good reading this thread...". I'm particularly enjoying Smokie's contributions (keep em coming) and the petty inter-club arguing, but I'm not enjoying ANY of the hooligan related comments.

I don't see anyone arguing that Sterling isn't crap though.

good on the ground read about the trouble in marseille and who is involved in it etc: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-to-war-with-an-english-myth-1.2682005

and an excellent piece summarising the hodgson effect and his expectation-lowering expertise: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/hodgsons-exit-excuses-a-vital-part-of-failing-upwards-34792878.html

• Like 1

Ps. Think the australia 28 vs 39 ENGLAND game is on Setanta at 10pm (for all those like me who unfortunately missed it live yesterday).

Reading your post in this thread is like watching the 2 police cadets in the Police Academy movies, when they entered into a bar they never thought they would end up in.

Nope, read your post several times but still non the wiser.

Just tried to be silly.

wink.png

Was hinting that the Rugby post was very much in the wrong Forum, sine everyone talk about football here.

The 2 cadets in the old movie, ended up in a totally wrong place.

Again, just being a bit silly, and if not seen that movie it does not make any sense.

smile.png

this is genuinely <deleted> mental. this is the country supposed to be hosting the next world cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/moscow-football-official-to-violent-fans-well-done-lads-keep-it-up

A top football official in Moscow has praised the Russian fans involved in violence over the weekend in Marseille, saying they had defended their country’s honour and should be forgiven.

“I don’t see anything wrong with the fans fighting,” Igor Lebedev wrote on Twitter. “Quite the opposite, well done lads, keep it up!”

Lebedev, who sits on the executive committee of the Russian football union, is an MP from the nationalist Liberal Democratic party and the deputy chairman of the Russian parliament.

“I don’t understand those politicians and officials who are criticising our fans. We should defend them, and then we can sort it out when they come home,” Lebedev wrote in a series of tweets.

“What happened in Marseille and in other French towns is not the fault of fans, but about the inability of police to organise this kind of event properly.”

Calls to his office went unanswered on Monday, but the Twitter account is believed to be genuine and the sentiments were echoed in comments given to the news website life.ru.

“In nine out of 10 cases, football fans go to games to fight, and that’s normal. The lads defended the honour of their country and did not let English fans desecrate our motherland. We should forgive and understand our fans,” Lebedev told the news agency.

He added that it was unfair that Russian fans were being targeted for criticism when it was England fans who had begun the violence, and also noted that there had been violence involving other fans at the tournament, including ahead of the match between Poland and Northern Ireland.

“Our fans are far from the worst; it’s unclear why a lot of media are trying to say our fans’ actions were shameful. You should be objective. If there had been no provocation from English fans, it’s unlikely our fans would have got into fights in the stands.”

Uefa has opened a disciplinary case against Russia for the scenes after the final whistle in their game against England. The violence came after several days of violence in Marseille, much of it involving England fans. Uefa has warned both England and Russia they could be thrown out of the tournament if the violence continues.

Lebedev’s comments are likely to raise huge concern, given that Russia is due to host the world cup in two years. Their tone is in contrast to that of the sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, who criticised the fans involved in fighting.

Mutko initially downplayed the clashes saying media had exaggerated them, but later admitted it was right for Uefa to bring disciplinary proceedings against Russia and condemned the clashes. “It’s clear that some people didn’t come here to watch football. They’ve covered their faces and then brought shame on their country,” he said.

Mutko was criticised for standing on the pitch after the final whistle and appearing to egg on Russian fans, just metres from where clashes with England fans were taking place. Lebedev suggested that if Mutko had been in the stands, he would have joined in the fighting.

“We ought to thank him for not being indifferent to football, and for the fact that he doesn’t just get involved in the sporting side but also gives a lot of attention to work with the supporters... I personally think that if Mutko had been with the fans in the stands and was not an official, he would have also have got into the fight with the England fans, because they provoked it.”

good on the ground read about the trouble in marseille and who is involved in it etc: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-to-war-with-an-english-myth-1.2682005

and an excellent piece summarising the hodgson effect and his expectation-lowering expertise: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/hodgsons-exit-excuses-a-vital-part-of-failing-upwards-34792878.html

Hodgson is a good enough manager. We have a pretty good team with a modest defence. Anyway, who else is there? Eddie Howe too young. Alan Pardew not won anything. Fancy Tony Pulis?

Hodgson is a good enough manager. We have a pretty good team with a modest defence. Anyway, who else is there? Eddie Howe too young. Alan Pardew not won anything. Fancy Tony Pulis?

he's patently not though is he.

though as the article says, i suppose it depends on what your expectations are.

You can't seriously put Hodgson and good manager in the same sentence surely ?

Probably a Chelski fan. :lol:

Probably a Chelski fan. laugh.png

Bournemouth, used to watch them in front of 2500 fans in freezing weather.

If not Hodgson who else?

And will they do any better. England are on the edge of a good team, but lack at the back. We also lack experience, and it shows. Part of the problem has been not having a settled formation. That might be Hodgson's fault.

• Like 2

he's patently not though is he.

though as the article says, i suppose it depends on what your expectations are.

Mine are low. Be good if we can get out the group. A lot of our players are not battle hardened like Wales or Ireland. They've also been 'teams' for some time.

• Like 1

There is some real quality in England's young players...to not make it out of the group will rightly mean Hodgson's head on a plate.

Oh that should be a given mate. He's real talent available to him in this tournament. Mindyou, it defies belief that he kept his job after the world cup debacle and his comment that he felt he did a good job and deserved to keep his job warranted a punch in the head! And before anyone says England played quite well remember one very major thing; that Russian side was crap.

His team set up is all wrong, his tactical changes stupid, he has kane taking corners ....he only took six corners for Spurs in thirty-eight league games. Hodgson has single mindedly ignored all the strengths within the squad and "Hodged" them. i bet deep inside they can't wait to get back to their club sides and some decent management.

But then again, he's just so perfect for the bumbling FA.

you guessed it smokes, i'm right on one today. smile.png

Edited by carmine
  • Like 2

A lot of fans were happy when Russia scored. It was a welcome change from the miserable, bleak and cold existence they suffer back home.

But that's enough about Scotland....

One game in and you're rattled already.

It's going to be a long week for you chaps! :lol:

• Like 1

There is some real quality in England's young players...to not make it out of the group will rightly mean Hodgson's head on a plate.

Oh that should be a given mate. He's real talent available to him in this tournament. Mindyou, it defies belief that he kept his job after the world cup debacle and his comment that he felt he did a good job and deserved to keep his job warranted a punch in the head! And before anyone says England played quite well remember one very major thing; that Russian side was crap.

His team set up is all wrong, his tactical changes stupid, he has kane taking corners ....he only took six corners for Spurs in thirty-eight league games. Hodgson has single mindedly ignored all the strengths within the squad and "Hodged" them. i bet deep inside they can't wait to get back to their club sides and some decent management.

But then again, he's just so perfect for the bumbling FA.

you guessed it smokes, i'm right on one today. smile.png

At the time, I wanted Redknap. It was a surprise when Hodgson was given the job. But I could see the advantages, and he has done ok. He's also responded to the clamour to play the British way. His selections have been quite adventurous. If anything he's experimented too much. We arrived as we always do: selection up in the air.

But remember, just a year ago, the team was going to be built around Barkeley, and Wilshere. And Stones looked certain to be a shining star at the back.

I didn't agree with Drinkwater being excluded, or Townsend.

I haven't heard anybody agree with Kane taking corners, or free kicks.

I also wondered why on earth Vardy wasn't brought on when gaps started appearing in the Russian defence.

I'm not easy with Sturridge on the bench. He's probably the most natural talent we have. Unless Lallana can slot left, I guess he would make way in my team, which would be a shame because he has real flair.

Kane has bombed twice now. Playing him against Wales is beginning to look a gamble. But at least he is a bit of a handful.

But Hodgson's real job is to instill a bit of mettle in the side. Rooney has it, so does Walker, and Alli. It's inexperience that counts against us.

England may find their feet against Wales. If they do, they might deliver one of those devastating performances they occasionaly dish out.

met·tle
ˈmedl/
noun
noun: mettle; plural noun: mettles
a person's ability to cope well with difficulties or to face a demanding situation in a spirited and resilient way.
Tactics and formations, they are less important imo- in the group stage at least.

Just play 442. The team is comfortable with this setup. And give the players free rein to improvise without endangering the defence.

And don't play sterling, and don't let Kane take corners.

I could do better than hodgson with this talented squad. And so could most others on here.

Just play 442. The team is comfortable with this setup. And give the players free rein to improvise without endangering the defence.

And don't play sterling, and don't let Kane take corners.

I could do better than hodgson with this talented squad. And so could most others on here.

none of the players in the squad play 4-4-2 at club level though? so why would they be comfortable with that set-up?

• Like 1

^Come on Stevie, 442 is bread n butter to all British footballers. If they don't play that system now, they'll have played in that system for years at various levels and clubs.

not necessarily they won't have. which is not to mention that england don't have any actual left and right midfielders in their squad let alone any wingers. you're back to playing players in roles/systems that they don't normally play again.

Square pegs round holes! Only exception Rooney, he's a natural in two positions.

Rooney has for once hit fitness and form at the right time for England.

It's great for him and would be for England a few years ago but I wonder how he will cope with the Welsh pressing game for an hour on Thursday.

They will try to expose his lack of pace at every turn....really unless England make changes...aka binning Sterling and playing a true 4-2-3-1 then I think they are going to struggle to beat the Welsh.

Wales have their tails high and really do have the quality to score...Bale might be a pink shorts Ponce but he's also a bloody good player.

• Like 2

bale is a bit different class to anything england has defensively really. so it should be interesting to see how the game shapes up. thought the wales midfield was pretty good in the opening game, played smart and with loads of workrate. to be fair england were pretty good first half of their game too, just didn't convert chances. shame it's on at such an early time slot.

• Like 1

. shame it's on at such an early time slot.

I think as far as any trouble is concerned, the earlier the better. Instead of drinking all day waiting for kick off.

beIN are reporting that the English and Welsh have teamed up to fend off the Russians

• Like 1

. shame it's on at such an early time slot.

I think as far as any trouble is concerned, the earlier the better. Instead of drinking all day waiting for kick off.

beIN are reporting that the English and Welsh have teamed up to fend off the Russians

yeah russia appear not to give a crap if they get thrown out of the tournament - they're only there for the fighting.

good thing they aren't hosting the world cup in two years' time or anything. oh, wait.

• Like 2

Another legacy from the bad old days of FIFA. Given to the most racist footballing nation on earth in an era when FIFA were promoting anti-racism.

South Africa's political dictatorship was overturned through sport (many believe). Every chance the same will happen to Russia (eventually) if their super-hooligans get going again this week, so in a way I hope it all goes t*ts up, so long as England is not implicated. Time to be strong and turn the other cheeks now lads

Square pegs round holes! Only exception Rooney, he's a natural in two positions.

Rooney has for once hit fitness and form at the right time for England.

It's great for him and would be for England a few years ago but I wonder how he will cope with the Welsh pressing game for an hour on Thursday.

They will try to expose his lack of pace at every turn....really unless England make changes...aka binning Sterling and playing a true 4-2-3-1 then I think they are going to struggle to beat the Welsh.

Wales have their tails high and really do have the quality to score...Bale might be a pink shorts Ponce but he's also a bloody good player.

Wales are a good team. But you can paint any scenario you choose really. For instance, a stung England could just as well do one of their demolition jobs. Hard to predict. I do think it is more about England do or don't do. Wales will play to their normal high standards. 50/50 is all I can think.