THE England thread

rijit

Hodgson has not moved with the times by leaving drinkwater behind. The team winning this tournament will be a counter attacking side. Ranieri would have made it work. Wait and see. Put money on Spain.

Raniere kept and maintained what pearson set up, we will see what raniere is made of when a few of pearsons star crusted signings leave

Sorry Stevie, you can't play 2 strikers together just because they are both in form.

A. Neither of them have played with a strike partner all season.

B. They are both use to a different style of football, to play to Vardy's strengths England would have to completely change their style of play ( that's if they have one of course).

c. Would leave England too short of numbers in midfield.

Related to the above, a diamond formation leaves them too short of numbers in Midfield, have to have 2 midfield players in front of the back 4 i'm afraid.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

Walker / Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier / Smoking Dwarf ( if fit ) or Milner

Sturridge Ali Sterling / Rooney ( at a push )

H

Alfie, worse selection so far. I know the majority on here don't expect England to fair well, but handicapping us with no goalie is taking it a bit far isn't it.

I would have thought that a man of your knowledge would have took it for granted that Forster is in goal rolleyes.gif

Actually, if that's all you've pulled me on then i take it that that's a half decent team sad.png

I would have thought a pedant would have got it right. Goalkeeper-less team eh. ;-)

You've been doing a lot of talking on here bb but i haven't seen one constructive post, perhaps it's because there ain't too many City players for you too talk about rolleyes.gif

But I feel woys team will involve Milner or Henderson

it should do.

in yours you've got three players playing out of position and poor dier is going to get utterly overrun.

I know what you mean about being overrun but i feel we should be compact and should play on the break. The team i picked is a diamond so everyone would be playing pretty much the same position as the Portugal game.

Dier sitting withe Wilshere to the left and Alli to the right with Rooney at the tip (with the option of Rooney and Alli swapping)

The problem with the Portugal game was not the formation it was the execution of it (i guess instructed) Rooney to far forward and Vardy and Kane pushed outside and picking up full backs runs. Not the way this system is supposed to work!

• Like 1

it should do.

in yours you've got three players playing out of position and poor dier is going to get utterly overrun.

I know what you mean about being overrun but i feel we should be compact and should play on the break. The team i picked is a diamond so everyone would be playing pretty much the same position as the Portugal game.

Dier sitting withe Wilshere to the left and Alli to the right with Rooney at the tip (with the option of Rooney and Alli swapping)

The problem with the Portugal game was not the formation it was the execution of it (i guess instructed) Rooney to far forward and Vardy and Kane pushed outside and picking up full backs runs. Not the way this system is supposed to work!

A diamond formation is not meant to be compact, if you want to be compact then you have to play a different formation.

I don't think any of the players play a Diamond formation for their clubs so it means learning a new formation.

Stevie said you have 3 players playing out of position but i would say that it is more like 4 players.

In general i don't think a Diamond formation really works for any team.

Sorry Stevie, you can't play 2 strikers together just because they are both in form.

B. They are both use to a different style of football, to play to Vardy's strengths England would have to completely change their style of play ( that's if they have one of course).

Related to the above, a diamond formation leaves them too short of numbers in Midfield, have to have 2 midfield players in front of the back 4 i'm afraid.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

Alfie, worse selection so far. I know the majority on here don't expect England to fair well, but handicapping us with no goalie is taking it a bit far isn't it.

I would have thought that a man of your knowledge would have took it for granted that Forster is in goal rolleyes.gif

Actually, if that's all you've pulled me on then i take it that that's a half decent team sad.png

I would have thought a pedant would have got it right. Goalkeeper-less team eh. ;-)

You've been doing a lot of talking on here bb but i haven't seen one constructive post, perhaps it's because there ain't too many City players for you too talk about rolleyes.gif

Actually I haven't been doing a lot of talking on here. Ive made 2 constructive posts on Milner and a post about your goalkeeper-less team.

it should do.

A diamond formation is not meant to be compact, if you want to be compact then you have to play a different formation.

I don't think any of the players play a Diamond formation for their clubs so it means learning a new formation.

Stevie said you have 3 players playing out of position but i would say that it is more like 4 players.

In general i don't think a Diamond formation really works for any team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JobJVTW_oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XiDmLc5Co

I think you need to go back to football school on the diamond formation.

I can see where Stevie is saying 3 players but 4?

I do agree that it maybe not right as i think the players have to know the system well and maybe we wont able to gel properly. Especially if the Portugal game was anything to go by.

mat dickinson of the times says: "Mounted police, sniffer dogs, armed soldiers in woods around England training, Chantilly. It's going to be a tournament of high security"

I doubt it looking at England's defence.

• Like 1

I do agree that it maybe not right as i think the players have to know the system well and maybe we wont able to gel properly. Especially if the Portugal game was anything to go by.

Yes iv'e seen your examples and they confirm exactly what i've thought about the formation, playing 2 forwards is always going to leave you short in midfield and generally the formation is too open.

If i need to go back to school then so do many Premiership managers, so perhaps you can you tell me why not one Premier League Team played the diamond formation on the last full day of the season and hardly any have played the formation all through the season if any ?

The 4th would be either kane or Vardy, taking into account they have both been the last man for their clubs all season, i fail to see how they could both be the last man in the same team so one would have to play a slightly different role to what he is use too, in fact judging by the way Roy used then wider against Portugal you could make a case for both being played out of position so that makes a total of 5 players out of position.

Edited by alfieconn

mat dickinson of the times says: "Mounted police, sniffer dogs, armed soldiers in woods around England training, Chantilly. It's going to be a tournament of high security"

I doubt it looking at England's defence.

ZING!

• Like 1

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

Actually I haven't been doing a lot of talking on here. Ive made 2 constructive posts on Milner and a post about your goalkeeper-less team.

If your idea of being constructive is telling us that Milner is a good utility player and can play anywhere then i wouldn't to hear what you have to say when your not being constructive biggrin.png

Yes iv'e seen your examples and they confirm exactly what i've thought about the formation, playing 2 forwards is always going to leave you short in midfield and generally the formation is too open.

If i need to go back to school then so do many Premiership managers, so perhaps you can you tell me why not one Premier League Team played the diamond formation on the last full day of the season and hardly any have played the formation all through the season if any ?

The 4th would be either kane or Vardy, taking into account they have both been the last man for their clubs all season, i fail to see how they could both be the last man in the same team so one would have to play a slightly different role to what he is use too, in fact judging by the way Roy used then wider against Portugal you could make a case for both being played out of position so that makes a total of 5 players out of position.

Nobody plays it much now as the 4-2-3-1 is the most popular formation nowadays. Interestingly England did play it at Euro 96 with a very attacking line up albeit a much better defence than now.

Spurs style of play is much more aligned to keeping the ball and moving up the pitch with it and although he is playing up top alone he more of a focal point as someone to play off and get involved with the play where is on the other hand Leicester move the ball forward as quickly as possible with Vardy playing in a 4-4-2 as you rightly stated being the last man but he is in a partnership so i dont see there being a problem them playing together.

The problem will be defending as everyone knows so i guess the best formation would be the one most teams play 4-2-3-1. The last game did throw me as to why Roy picked the diamond formation in the last practice game and led me to believe he may start with that especially as we knew he wanted Rooney to play( to Allis detriment) hence my team choice.

Considering its failure it would be a surprise if he started with it again.

Revised team

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Wilshere

Sterling Rooney Alli

Kane

Nobody plays it much now as the 4-2-3-1 is the most popular formation nowadays. Interestingly England did play it at Euro 96 with a very attacking line up albeit a much better defence than now.

Spurs style of play is much more aligned to keeping the ball and moving up the pitch with it and although he is playing up top alone he more of a focal point as someone to play off and get involved with the play where is on the other hand Leicester move the ball forward as quickly as possible with Vardy playing in a 4-4-2 as you rightly stated being the last man but he is in a partnership so i dont see there being a problem them playing together.

The problem will be defending as everyone knows so i guess the best formation would be the one most teams play 4-2-3-1. The last game did throw me as to why Roy picked the diamond formation in the last practice game and led me to believe he may start with that especially as we knew he wanted Rooney to play( to Allis detriment) hence my team choice.

Considering its failure it would be a surprise if he started with it again.

Revised team

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Wilshere

Sterling Rooney Alli

Kane

it was the last friendly before the tournament, not really a time to be experimenting - i think that's his starting XI, particularly as roy the spoofer has since said that rooney is a "mandatory starter".

this is potentially some major great news ahead of the tournament.

"Reports today that FA has failed to fill in the paperwork to allow England supporters band to take their instruments into grounds..."

• Like 2

england kits made by nike just look wrong really don't they?

Never really thought about it to be honest.

Although I suppose the old traditional names related to football kits like Umbro were the minority years ago.