THE England thread

rijit

Belgium took their chances; England didn't.  And it wasn't much of a different story last time out.  England dominant in the second half and created real chances by splitting the Belgian defence.  Belgium were on the rack at one point, but finishing was woeful again.  Belgium, of course, are better.  Class and experience told.

I know it will upset some...England looked much more potent without Henderson.  Dier is a class above him.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

We did ok but draw favoured us. Played 3 good teams and lost them all.

People are saying we are lacking in midfield but we aint pulling up trees upfront.

The only positive is that Southgate has gave us a indentity. No square pegs in round holes like other managers. The U21 and below are doing great. Hopefully players like Foden and Sancho and others will breakout next season and give us a bit more creativity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Delph playing in  midfeld  just shows how much we are lacking in quality in that position !

Arguably England's most assured player. Hope he can carry on. I just don't think City are so hard up that they'd live with a duffer in their team.

Edited by mommysboy

1 minute ago, Mooner said:

The only positive is that Southgate has gave us a indentity. No square pegs in round holes like other managers.

...and if Gareth follows the money to club management, then the moment will be lost.

Fair result; best team won. Enjoyable game. How did he not hook Harry 'jog about' Kane? Jones; god help us. Nice to see loftycheek having some nice moments. 

England  don't  have a world class player. Belgium have 2 in Hazard and DeBruyne, with the bonus they have a good understanding  and link well.

Still there's enough young talent  in our squad to feel optimistic  about future  tournaments.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Why wasn't Harry Kane hooked in the last 2 games? He was more a hinderance than help. He was well off the pace. Injured or tired?

Probably a bit of both..the last 2 game more probably he's been one up from poor ..plus's 2 day .only saw 2nd half ..LOL.. thougjt dier looked surprisingly assured.. and loftus cheek   wish the <deleted> he'd believe a little more in himself and finish.. barrin that   on the day felt a  nothing game but on reflection everybody will want to have won..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Probably a bit of both..the last 2 game more probably he's been one up from poor ..plus's 2 day .only saw 2nd half ..LOL.. thougjt dier looked surprisingly assured.. and loftus cheek   wish the <deleted> he'd believe a little more in himself and finish.. barrin that   on the day felt a  nothing game but on reflection everybody will want to have won..

Oh and good to know delph is decent COVER ..prettymuch what he is at m city 

Shame he didn’t give the likes of Arnold a run and even one of the keepers. Pickfords cemented his place as number one, would of been good to give one of the others the experience. 

At least we can internationally retire off Jones  and Young now. 

Another stinker for Sterling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Dier playing in central midfeld  just shows how much we are lacking in quality in that position ! What does he offer? 

What did you expect of him? He's a holding midfielder, he's there to hold. And to be fair he made a good run into the box and nearly scored.

....I'm not sure the usual formation worked as well with Loftus-Cheek and Delph because they aren't as fast as Lingard and Ali, and they don't cover as much ground.

Is England a top 4 team or were you just lucky with the draw ?   Probably a bit lucky . But I guess we'll see progress next time.  in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

That was appalling. I thought and hoped Southgate would rest the A team and let other in the squad have a go. Then if they lost there would be non shame but to put out the A squad then lose AGAIN was serious mis-judgement. 

I can't see us getting an easier group and although we did well against Panama (are we surprised?) when up against good teams we are always the 'nearly boys'. They did well but it was against an easy group. It's not coming home.

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

What did you expect of him? He's a holding midfielder, he's there to hold. And to be fair he made a good run into the box and nearly scored.

....I'm not sure the usual formation worked as well with Loftus-Cheek and Delph because they aren't as fast as Lingard and Ali, and they don't cover as much ground.

Absolutely correct, BB just doesn't get it i'm afraid.

Its actually very useful for a coach to have a squad player that can, in need be utilized as a central mid, holding mid, right back or center back.  That is very clearly what he offers although i would have thought that was well known. No one is suggesting that Dier is going to set the world on fire but i've seen the solid work he puts in at Spurs and he's very useful to have around

@carmine

Not sure if you are using the confused face emogi to express genuine confusion or just displeasure with my post. Aren't some of European football's biggest stars of African and North African descent? If England is more restrictive of immigration from these regions than the EU, won't that put the UK at a disadvantage in future World Cup competitions? Just giving Brexiteers something to think about.

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

@carmine

Not sure if you are using the confused face emogi to express genuine confusion or just displeasure with my post. Aren't some of European football's biggest stars of African and North African descent? If England is more restrictive of immigration from these regions than the EU, won't that put the UK at a disadvantage in future World Cup competitions? Just giving Brexiteers something to think about.

I'm am completely confused as to why anyone would use a football thread as a platform to discuss politics and immigration.  

17 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

@carmine

The irrelevance to this thread and top level football in general is total.

Back to the news forum with this rubbish.

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Shame he didn’t give the likes of Arnold a run and even one of the keepers. Pickfords cemented his place as number one, would of been good to give one of the others the experience. 

At least we can internationally retire off Jones  and Young now. 

Another stinker for Sterling. 

Agree with your comments but its interesting  how people see Sterling's performances differently  

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

He did make a decent  run in to the box but he made me appreciate  Hendo more so that sums him up for me. 

Delph offers nothing positive in midfield  going forward, if you play him, play him as Pep does.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Absolutely correct, BB just doesn't get it i'm afraid.

Its actually very useful for a coach to have a squad player that can, in need be utilized as a central mid, holding mid, right back or center back.  That is very clearly what he offers although i would have thought that was well known. No one is suggesting that Dier is going to set the world on fire but i've seen the solid work he puts in at Spurs and he's very useful to have around

I get it that Dier can play central mid, holding mid, right back or center back and thats useful to have around a squad but he's only competent not international class. I don't  think he's  developing  to the player he we thought  he'd  become and if Spurs can sell him on to ManU or others for a decent price they should. He's  another Phil Jones (looked good/isn't good enough).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

@carmine

I'm not sure how you are looking at this. I think you are looking at the african / west indian origin players (Sterling, loftus-cheek) but wouldn't they all be 2nd or 3rd generation immigrations. You can't  be looking at Delph as he's  through and through yorkshire ? . The asian immigrant community hasn't really provided Premier players. So how is Brexit going to impact on England's future World Cup prospects?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I get it that Dier can play central mid, holding mid, right back or center back and thats useful to have around a squad but he's only competent not international class. I don't  think he's  developing  to the player he we thought  he'd  become and if Spurs can sell him on to ManU or others for a decent price they should. He's  another Phil Jones (looked good/isn't good enough).

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with your appraisal (I think he has more to go) .... but he is streets ahead of Jones - who must be finished as an international player.

• Like 1