THE England thread

rijit

France 4 Croatia 2 .. Vive Le France .. Coupe du Monde nearly came 'ome but not quite stopping just the other side of the English channel .. Still ain't too far to travel for those who wanna pay homage to it because as likely as not it's probably the closest that it will ever get to England .. ?

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

But we didn't cos several players didn't step up when it mattered

…including Harry Kane. [if you want to see who I think did and didn't I've posted my Hits & Misses already]

Ronnie - it’s great for Kane personally that he got the golden boot but he didn’t have a good world cup so drop your club allegiance and admit it. Your comment “If he was a city player it would be the best player ever” alludes to I think every City player is brilliant when all normal people know I don’t think that and I would like to think none of you think that about your team’s players. Rational arguements please Ronnie!

20 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Exactly. Same for Arnold. Really couldn’t see the point of playing the likes of Trippier who was injured previously. He has already proved himself, and arguably player of the tournament. Bringing on Alli who has not had a good one, and Jones who is looking backwards. 

Some strange choices from Southgate at the end for a nothing game. 

Knowing theres a real apathy toward the 3rd/4th place game do you think that FIFA had a word with regards fielding a strong side? I do.

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

…including Harry Kane. [if you want to see who I think did and didn't I've posted my Hits & Misses already]

Ronnie - it’s great for Kane personally that he got the golden boot but he didn’t have a good world cup so drop your club allegiance and admit it. Your comment “If he was a city player it would be the best player ever” alludes to I think every City player is brilliant when all normal people know I don’t think that and I would like to think none of you think that about your team’s players. Rational arguements please Ronnie!

Nonsense about Kane. Absolute nonsense.   He was starved of the ball throughout the tournament constantly tracking back to try and get the ball.  His workmate was phenomenal even though he took a battering throughout and proved to be a very good leader.  In the first 270 minutes of play he only received 79 passes....what did you expect him to do!!  In short he had no service yet still scored six times.

Sometimes its hard to work out whether you are on one of your usual trolls or just talking b*llocks!!!?

Edited by carmine

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

carmine totally nailed it above regards his tracking back and helping other players into better positions.

Its for reasons like this that when you mention club allegiance and bias I have to laugh really I do....you're the worst on the forum for wearing the tinted specs.

Kane has proven to be an excellent choice for England captain and is first pick on Southgate's teamsheet!

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

carmine totally nailed it above regards his tracking back and helping other players into better positions.

Its for reasons like this that when you mention club allegiance and bias I have to laugh really I do....you're the worst on the forum for wearing the tinted specs.

Kane has proven to be an excellent choice for England captain and is first pick on Southgate's teamsheet!

The only thing correct in the 2 spurs posts above is Kane is likely "first pick on Southgate's teamsheet".

And Carmine, will you desist with your stupid 'i don't  agree  with someone  therefore  they must be trolling' attitude. Grow up and realise people  view football  differently, people  have different  allegiances and tinted glasses.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The only thing correct in the 2 spurs posts above is Kane is likely "first pick on Southgate's teamsheet".

And Carmine, will you desist with your stupid 'i don't  agree  with someone  therefore  they must be trolling' attitude. Grow up and realise people  view football  differently, people  have different  allegiances and tinted glasses.

Well you had better ask yourself why the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances.

Oh and yes Trippier has also been praised by all....except you BB who can only think to mention his one mistake at this tournament.

You're really getting worse as the days go by I must say.

20 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Well you had better ask yourself why the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances.

Don't know about that mate. Here is the tournament ratings from the Independent for all the players. They rated both Sterling and Kane as 8/10. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-world-cup-2018-squad-power-rankings-player-ratings-video-a8443251.html

6: Raheem Sterling – 8/10

No matter what you read on social media, Sterling had a fantastic tournament. His tireless runs off the ball stretched every defence and created space for everyone else to entertain. Did exactly what Southgate wanted from him and really did deserve that elusive goal.

5: Harry Kane – 8/10

Fifth may seem harsh for the Golden Boot winner in waiting but he faded awfully against Colombia and Croatia and was really carried by his teammates at both times. Was he actually fit? I’m sure we will find out in the next few days…

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't know about that mate. Here is the tournament ratings from the Independent for all the players. They rated both Sterling and Kane as 8/10. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-world-cup-2018-squad-power-rankings-player-ratings-video-a8443251.html

I personally agree regards Sterling but as you know opinion is split on him.

No one however is questioning Kane's inclusion in future England squads.

That is my point.

29 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Stop posting like a prize plum then i won't be mistaking your ridiculous assumptions as trolls.  Quite simple really.

Just to add to your stupidity, Trippier was in the world 11 in every selection i have seen and all you can do is have a pop at the mistake against Belgium.  P*ss poor of you.  So what is it  blatant stupidity or trolling?

11 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

France 4 Croatia 2 .. Vive Le France .. Coupe du Monde nearly came 'ome but not quite stopping just the other side of the English channel .. Still ain't too far to travel for those who wanna pay homage to it because as likely as not it's probably the closest that it will ever get to England .. ?

Would liked to have seen Croatia win it as they put up a great show of attacking football...……..and with a little more luck and no VAR they might well have done! C'est la vie!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Lingard, etc

At least he scored a cracking goal from distance , that's what we like to see. He will just get better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Oh and yes Trippier has also been praised by all....except you BB who can only think to mention his one mistake at this tournament.

You're really getting worse as the days go by I must say.

1. "Well you had better ask yourself why the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances."

You want to read more than ‘White Hart Lane Weekly’ and ‘Hotshot Harry Kane Monthly’ if you think “the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances”. The links below prove you are wrong that the entire press has been questioning Sterling's performances; in fact the press that I read has been praising Sterling.

9 July 2018 - A toast to Raheem Sterling, the crucial cog who embodies a selfless England - https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jul/09/raheem-sterling-england-world-cup

9 July 2018 - Raheem Sterling is not perfect but make no mistake, Croatia would love to see him rested - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/08/raheem-sterling-not-perfect-make-no-mistake-croatia-would-love/

10 July 2018 - Raheem Sterling: What are critics not seeing in England forward's World Cup performances - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44771432

10 July 2018 - Why Raheem Sterling's largely overlooked work for England will scare Croatia - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/10/raheem-sterlings-largely-overlooked-work-england-will-scare/

11- July 2018 - Raheem Sterling shows once again why England and Gareth Southgate so enjoy having him around - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/11/raheem-sterling-shows-england-gareth-southgate-enjoy-having/

So where are all these press articles “praising Kane” because I haven’t seen any on the press I read. Stump em up lad.

ManU fan at work was telling me just now that Kane got booed collecting the golden boot – did he? By whom?

2. Oh and yes Trippier has also been praised by all....except you BB who can only think to mention his one mistake at this tournament.

You are wrong that I didn’t praise Tripps as I posted “Stones, Trippier and Pickford were the 3 players that caught my eye the most.”. He and Walker were an excellent pairing and little came down our right while Walker gave Tripps the confidence to go forward; wasn’t so with Phil Jones behind him was it.

12 minutes ago, balo said:

At least he scored a cracking goal from distance , that's what we like to see. He will just get better. 

I agree Lingard scored an excellent goal following a lovely one-two with St--l--g. Not long ago everybody was raving over Rashford but it's looking like Lingard is the potential future star.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I agree Lingard scored an excellent goal following a lovely one-two with St--l--g. Not long ago everybody was raving over Rashford but it's looking like Lingard is the potential future star.

Except that Rashford is still only 20; he won't lose his pace but he will gain in experience.  It is good to see Lingard rise above the average  -  too many times we have seen Ali, Sterling and Lingard not contribute enough.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Stop posting like a prize plum then i won't be mistaking your ridiculous assumptions as trolls.  Quite simple really.

Just to add to your stupidity, Trippier was in the world 11 in every selection i have seen and all you can do is have a pop at the mistake against Belgium.  P*ss poor of you.  So what is it  blatant stupidity or trolling?

...the Carmine Thai Visa Football/Soccer Forum again is it?

I have not and I am not criticizing Tripps who I thought had an excellent WC, but he was at fault for one of the goals wasn't he which I merely noted (as was Stones for the other one - he also had an excellent WC) - boy, you're sensitive to any criticism of Spurs aren't you.

I have been and I am criticizing "SO SO Alli (don’t think he was fit), Kane (unusually quiet) / MISSES: Young (please retire)".

Please read my posts correctly if you want to throw around words like "stupidity" as you only ended up here with it meaning you.?

17 hours ago, Mooner said:

Thought the squad was defence heavy. No need for Cahill and Jones when you have Dier especially when Walker was one of the 3.

Also Young is right footed so why the need for Alexander? Although he did very well last year and is a top prospect. 

My point is the game is won by creative players and different options in the last 3rd.

Delph was chosen as CM although he played on the left for city.

Could of not taken Rose who had injuries last season and had Delph as sub LWB.

All these decisions would of freed up spaces for more creative players or a wildcard.

Jones and Cahill barely played or Trent. 

Our midfield options against Belgium were poor. Some more creative risks would of suited us better.

Agreed, but there is simply a paucity of midfield creative talent.  I think we would have benefited from Sterling being played on the right wing. Things will likely develop as some decent young talent comes through, and Loftus-Cheek finds his feet.  Perhaps Shelvey deserves a look and fingers crossed Lallana and the Ox come good again. I suppose there's a faint hope that Wilshere can resurrect his career, and Berkeley.

17 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

1. "Well you had better ask yourself why the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances."

You want to read more than ‘White Hart Lane Weekly’ and ‘Hotshot Harry Kane Monthly’ if you think “the entire press has been praising Kane and questioning Sterling's performances”. The links below prove you are wrong that the entire press has been questioning Sterling's performances; in fact the press that I read has been praising Sterling.

9 July 2018 - A toast to Raheem Sterling, the crucial cog who embodies a selfless England - https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jul/09/raheem-sterling-england-world-cup

9 July 2018 - Raheem Sterling is not perfect but make no mistake, Croatia would love to see him rested - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/08/raheem-sterling-not-perfect-make-no-mistake-croatia-would-love/

10 July 2018 - Raheem Sterling: What are critics not seeing in England forward's World Cup performances - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44771432

10 July 2018 - Why Raheem Sterling's largely overlooked work for England will scare Croatia - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/10/raheem-sterlings-largely-overlooked-work-england-will-scare/

11- July 2018 - Raheem Sterling shows once again why England and Gareth Southgate so enjoy having him around - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/11/raheem-sterling-shows-england-gareth-southgate-enjoy-having/

So where are all these press articles “praising Kane” because I haven’t seen any on the press I read. Stump em up lad.

ManU fan at work was telling me just now that Kane got booed collecting the golden boot – did he? By whom?

2. Oh and yes Trippier has also been praised by all....except you BB who can only think to mention his one mistake at this tournament.

You are wrong that I didn’t praise Tripps as I posted “Stones, Trippier and Pickford were the 3 players that caught my eye the most.”. He and Walker were an excellent pairing and little came down our right while Walker gave Tripps the confidence to go forward; wasn’t so with Phil Jones behind him was it.

Walker is not a centre back. He proved that against Croatia.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Except that Rashford is still only 20; he won't lose his pace but he will gain in experience.  

Exactly... They are quite often paired together, but Lingard is 25! The ironic thing is Jesse has the body of a 20 year old, but Marcus is really developing physically and could turn out to be a Ronaldo type build... And hopefully as good a player! 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly... They are quite often paired together, but Lingard is 25! The ironic thing is Jesse has the body of a 20 year old, but Marcus is really developing physically and could turn out to be a Ronaldo type build... And hopefully as good a player! 

I think his new role model may well be Mbappe... ? 

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I think his new role model may well be Mbappe... ? 

Long way to go.. Rooney was amazing at 19 but pretty much burnt out by 30. Mbappe is ahead of Rashford now but don't bet against him closing the gap in the future . That penalty was the highlight of the tournament for me 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Worrying lack of end product.  If anything he seemed better a couple of years ago.  I think he just falls short of being really good. I wonder if a spell on loan to another Premier league club would resurrect a faltering career. I dare say Bournemouth could make space for him. Seriously, he needs to get away from Man Utd...and fast.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Long way to go.. Rooney was amazing at 19 but pretty much burnt out by 30. Mbappe is ahead of Rashford now but don't bet against him closing the gap in the future . That penalty was the highlight of the tournament for me 

one of the best world cups in decades and your highlight of it was a penalty?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How bad was Peter Drury in the WC with his constant over the top eulogizing - he thinks he's the bloody poet laureate! Spoils the game for me!

He didn't have Jim Beglin with him, did he?

I watched on Lao TV with FIFA's English commentaries: Rob Hawthorne in the final (I think), Paul Dempsey, Ian Darke (brilliant) and John Helm, who talks too much and has to mention Yaarksher every 10 minutes. No summarisers, thankfully.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How bad was Peter Drury in the WC with his constant over the top eulogizing - he thinks he's the bloody poet laureate! Spoils the game for me!

ITV's Tyldesley weren't much better .. Must be a criteria for a commentator the ability to talk cliche laden b*llucks for the duration ..

10 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

ITV's Tyldesley weren't much better .. Must be a criteria for a commentator the ability to talk cliche laden b*llucks for the duration ..

We can all thank our lucky stars we don't live in the states where FOX featured Alexi Lalas. I don't think I could have survived that.

Edited by jellydog
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

He didn't have Jim Beglin with him, did he?

I watched on Lao TV with FIFA's English commentaries: Rob Hawthorne in the final (I think), Paul Dempsey, Ian Darke (brilliant) and John Helm, who talks too much and has to mention Yaarksher every 10 minutes. No summarisers, thankfully.

Yeah I also watched the world feed. Ian Darke and Dempsey are better than any commentators on UK terrestrial TV, and a lot less annoying. 

6 hours ago, StevieH said:

one of the best world cups in decades and your highlight of it was a penalty?

If you can't see the significance of a 20 year old Englishman putting away a penalty with that much nonchalance and skill in a World Cup, then I can't help you.