THE England thread

rijit

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Not really Stevie, no, I don't think that is true.  I wouldn't replace Sterling though. I think Sterling was one big difference between England and Sweden.

i've never really rated welbeck mate. always seemed to flatter to deceive, both at united and arsenal. has a minimal level of nuisance value simply through running about a bit but he doesn't seem particularly good at anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Not really Stevie, no, I don't think that is true.  I wouldn't replace Sterling though. I think Sterling was one big difference between England and Sweden.

Welbeck is always going to be a last ditch last resort poor option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I must admit I hadn't reckoned on him being called up.  I would have taken a gamble on Lallana. It was a bit of a blow about the Ox.

Without sounding too harsh, its remarkable that a squad that space for Welbeck has formed a side that can reach the semis.  I saw his squad inclusion as a gaping sign of our weakness.

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I don’t think you play Sterling to guarantee you goals. He’s never been a great goalscorer (never will be in my opinion) – he doesn’t look a natural in front to goal. He’s more of a winger who in recent seasons is learning to play inside upfront. He was a 1 in 5 games player for Liverpool and is a 1 in 3 games goalscorer for City – for England his record is terrible.

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck – hands up who knew that – is a forward who can play out wide. At ManU he was a 1 in 4.5 games player and is a 1 in 5 games goalscorer for Arsenal which is poor – for England his record is good at 1 in 2.5.

Rashford is also a forward who can play out wide. At ManU he is a 1 in 4.5 games player which isn’t great – for England his record is poor.

With Sterling you get a player who’s busy, an irritant, rarely hides and helps the team a lot. Not sure you get that with Welbeck and Rashford and they don’t guarantee you that many more goals than Sterling.

Sterling is doing alright.

He is doing alright. Just think being busy isnt enough when your reaching semi final stage. Hopefully he gets 1 and that turns it around.

Becoming the new Emile Heskey.

Marcus Rashford: Manchester United
Caps: 17 Goals: 2

Raheem Sterling: Manchester City
Caps: 37 Goals: 2

Danny Welbeck: Arsenal
Caps: 37 Goals: 15

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

He is doing alright. Just think being busy isnt enough when your reaching semi final stage. Hopefully he gets 1 and that turns it around.

Bit harsh with the Heskey comment.?

3 hours ago, Mooner said:

Emile Heskey...i think not

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/10/raheem-sterlings-largely-overlooked-work-england-will-scare/

On 7/9/2018 at 1:40 AM, alfieconn said:

Crikey, i bet even the Lefties on here are nearly getting Patriotic !

Love it!

But as my main man Jezza once said "Have you noticed how we only win the World Cup under a Labour government."

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, StevieH said:

croatia is probably about as winnable a semi-final as england could have hoped for pre-tournament, they're plenty beatable. excellent central midfield but not really shedloads beyond that. and a goalkeeper with a hamstring strain who should be stretched as much as possible with balls into the box to make him have to move.

think if england score the first goal they'll win it fairly comfortably like they did against sweden to be honest.

Yeah .. hope your right.. perhaps with me england like with tottenham .. after many many moons of disapointement , theres this nagging inward  protectionism inside of me culling the expectations.... but we will c .

fully expect england to absolutely go at them from the .. i'm thinkin those opening 20

in this game more so than others will b crucial. .

t

6 hours ago, StevieH said:

plus welbeck is just kind of crap really if you're brutally honest. ?

Crap is harsh... he's a decent enuf prem striker .. that MAYBE falls a touch short of being of 'international' quality .. but given availiable options he can cover wide and central atm he's about all we have to call up

30 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah .. hope your right.. perhaps with me england like with tottenham .. after many many moons of disapointement , theres this nagging inward  protectionism inside of me culling the expectations.... but we will c .

fully expect england to absolutely go at them from the .. i'm thinkin those opening 20

t

I think there's something wrong with your keyboard - you want to get that seen to before it packs in altogether.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stirling did improve in the last game but as some have said, not showing enough for someone playing so far up the field. His first touch is still shocking and his sole telling contribution so far was his pass for Linguards goal.

However with the likes of Rashford not showing much, Stirlings inclusion balances the side better and he is a nuisance for defenders. Dele Alli would contribute more playing behind Kane but who could play where Alli is playing ?

Currently Southgate has done a fine job with the limited talent available and i doubt there will be any changes to the starting 11 tomorrow....and nor should there be. 

And please lets not mention Footballers and Welbeck in the same sentence.

Edited by Bangkokhatter
how do you spell Alle ?

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Rashford very rarely starts.Stats should relate to minutes played .I thought that would be obvious no matter who is being compared

i'm not sure i see the point of this comparing really. rashford is about the best english talent i've seen in my lifetime since gazza if i'm honest, he's an amazing footballer at an annoyingly young age. genuinely gifted and going to be an incredible player long term. he's 20 years old. i sincerely hope that his fantastic future isn't at man united but you know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

t

think first goal is huge mate. both teams will be nervous, if england score first i think they'll win the game. croatia would have to come out a bit, england have pace on the counter. of course if the reverse happened, suddenly england have to maybe do something they're not great at.

also as an aside, "bet even the lefties" reveals poster and friend alfieconn to be a tory and sadly not even worthy of breath let alone response. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieH said:

think first goal is huge mate. both teams will be nervous, if england score first i think they'll win the game. croatia would have to come out a bit, england have pace on the counter. of course if the reverse happened, suddenly england have to maybe do something they're not great at.

also as an aside, "bet even the lefties" reveals poster and friend alfieconn to be a tory and sadly not even worthy of breath let alone response. 

Yep... think the team selection could give us an idea.. same starting line up i reckon   it'll be an opening onslaught   if southgate changes it maybe we'll c a more 'cagey' approach.. as for alfie.. sad but true..<deleted> a workin guy would EVER b a tory.. is  beyond me and arguably beyond reason  ..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I hope we squeak through tonight but France will be an entirely different matter and if we couldn't beat the Belgium's it certainly is not 'in the bag' coming home.

You do understand that the previous game was England reserves vs Belgium reserves .

If we beat Croatia I would rather face France than Belgium.

Edited by Jip99
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jip99 said:

You do understand that the previous game was England reserves vs Belgium reserves .

If we beat Croatia I would rather face France than Belgium.

Well that's sort of true... anyway we have hope    ???

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You have to consider why he very rarely starts for ManU and for England!

Because Mourinho doesn't know how to play him or get the best out of him?  Surely you're not suggesting he isn't good enough to start of United?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

Because Mourinho doesn't know how to play him or get the best out of him?  Surely you're not suggesting he isn't good enough to start of United?

I'd like you to devote the same time you do to making nonsensical statements to actually watching football, and thinking through things before you say them.

Thanks

• Haha 1