THE England thread

rijit

17 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Southgate he is not the Messiah to lead England out of the wilderness even if he looks well smart with waistcoat on the touchline .. The FA should push the boat out and try for Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp next time they need a manager .. The dude knows how to motivate and play footie and just picture the irony if it were a German to lead England to greatness again .. 

Totally agree about Southgate. However, even though Klopp is a top notch man manager we just haven't got the players to press and play high up like he likes to do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Totally agree about Southgate. However, even though Klopp is a top notch man manager we just haven't got the players to press and play high up like he likes to do.

Fair point Herr Klopp does like the energetic approach .. Alternatively a certain Mr Mourinho perchance .. Bit sulky sometimes and the brand of footie is not the most 'um attractive but a winning track record and mentality is hard to put a price on sometimes or is that too much of a hand grenade having José on board .. Press conferences would be interesting if nothing else the latest being his " Respect Man Respect " rant at journalists last week .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

21 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Southgate has done well. Fair enough he is not Mr Likeable but he's come in and done a job and he deserves his spot for a few more years yet. 

Anyone who knows anything about football will know two things:

1. England are a good team.

2.  They lack a creative midfield, which means England can't be considered one of the elite.

Southgate has done well.  I don't think anyone could do better with the available players.  It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need.

33 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

2.  They lack a creative midfield, which means England can't be considered one of the elite.

Southgate has done well.  I don't think anyone could do better with the available players.  It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need.

Neither have yet proven themselves and Foden will not get the chance to where he is now.

Just now, RonniePickering22 said:

Neither have yet proven themselves and Foden will not get the chance to where he is now.

Jadon sancho will be in the squad soon enough and his breakthrough will just further demonstrate the need for these young lads to break free from the clubs holding them back. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

whenever england come up against a half decent team, with the odd exception, they lose. fact

people and the media need to stop getting excited every time they beat a weaker team.

No, not fact.  When England come up against a very good team they get beaten.  England are that half decent team.  It all depends on making progress in midfield.  Some youngsters are making the wise choice of finding first team football elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Fair point Herr Klopp does like the energetic approach .. Alternatively a certain Mr Mourinho perchance .. Bit sulky sometimes and the brand of footie is not the most 'um attractive but a winning track record and mentality is hard to put a price on sometimes or is that too much of a hand grenade having José on board .. Press conferences would be interesting if nothing else the latest being his " Respect Man Respect " rant at journalists last week .. 

Mourinho for England?

I dream of such a day. :clap2:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Not exactly.  England are a midfield player or two short of having a world class team, and there're grounds to hope those vacancies could be filled within the next year or two.

I think generally world class teams have 1 or 2 world class players in it. I don't consider England has even one.

Think you've  all got to cool your expectations  on Foden and other kids.

Foden's young, inexperienced but highly thought of. Not too dissimilar to Wilshire at a similar age. He may or may not develop and become the player we expect  him  to  become. 

Jadon Sancho, based on seeing him for City's youth European  televised games is very similar  to Sane - all left foot. Saw him preseason for Dortmund  vs City and he was only ok against a young winger we had playing at fullback ("City fan Luke Bolton produced a solid performance, beyond his years. Despite occupying an unfamiliar position at right-back, the winger coped admirably and won the majority of his duels against tricky opposition such as the likes of Jadon Sancho.").

If we're lucky we'll have a group of top players in Foden, Sancho and others coming through similar to the Ozil group for Germany  that won the European  u21s and served them brilliantly for the past decade.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

What do you base that on because they have only played about 50 mins between them in the Premier league ?

Edited by alfieconn

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

What do you base that on because they have only played about 50 mins between them in the Premier league ?

I meant in the future-as prospects- no, not right now.  If they do come through, then it won't be for a year at least.

Right now, there isn't an answer.

Another problem England have is finishing.  Although Spain were (and are) clearly the better team, England had some clear cut chances and simply failed to convert.  They also did actually equalize, but were denied by a bizarre decision.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Nonsense they are solid prospects.  I did not mean they are ready right now.

You said the gap would

be filled “in a year or two” 

Unless they are playing regularly they are not going to be world class anytime soon. These guys need to follow Lingards example and get some regular football in the lower leagues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I meant in the future-as prospects- no, not right now.  If they do come through, then it won't be for a year at least.

Right now, there isn't an answer.

Another problem England have is finishing.  Although Spain were (and are) clearly the better team, England had some clear cut chances and simply failed to convert.  They also did actually equalize, but were denied by a bizarre decision.

So what do you base your comment "It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need" on ? watching them play or just the hype around them ? as for perhap's being ready in a year, i doubt very much that Foden will be given too much game time this season and Mount is playing in the Championship so i think a year is being very optimistic, perhaps best to wait until they have played a season in the Premier League before judging them!!!! 

Edited by alfieconn

14 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So what do you base your comment "It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need" on ? watching them play or just the hype around them ? as for perhap's being ready in a year, i doubt very much that Foden will be given too much game time this season and Mount is playing in the Championship so i think a year is being very optimistic, perhaps best to wait until they have played a season in the Premier League before judging them!!!! 

I'm all for highlighting the odd phrase!

All that from one simple line It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need.  Maybe it's best to check your understanding of verbs.

Mount has played in the Eredivisie and was successful.  The point is Southgate is already bringing players in with limited experience, as are Wales whose youngsters really impressed over the weekend.

I do think Oxlade is missed, and it would be really good to have a fit and in form Lallana; the latter being probably the closed thing we have to a creative midfielder.

56 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm all for highlighting the odd phrase!

All that from one simple line It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need.  Maybe it's best to check your understanding of verbs.

Mount has played in the Eredivisie and was successful.  The point is Southgate is already bringing players in with limited experience, as are Wales whose youngsters really impressed over the weekend.

I do think Oxlade is missed, and it would be really good to have a fit and in form Lallana; the latter being probably the closed thing we have to a creative midfielder.

I did actually only want to highlight the comment about Mount and Foden but for some  reason the high lighter wouldn't turn off, but anyway in the time that you have taken to make  a big thing about me highlighting you could have said something more constructive and answered the following question

So what do you base your comment"It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need" on ? watching them play or just the hype around them ?

Edited by alfieconn

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

I did actually only want to highlight the comment about Mount and Foden but for some  reason the high lighter wouldn't turn off, but anyway in the time that you have taken to make  a big thing about me highlighting you could have said something more constructive and answered the following question

So what do you base your comment"It could be Mount and Foden will give us what we need" on ? watching them play or just the hype around them ?

Both really, but I watched them play on tv at the age level tournaments, and to me they looked obviously good- real prospects.  This is not just hype, yet the media do get carried away.  Foden is young but he's in that trap already- of being good enough to be in the squad but not play, because in order to do that he has to dislodge one or two experienced, international players.  His manager has clearly stated what a prodigious talent he thinks he is.

Mount has played in a good league already,  often winning man of the match awards, featuring in the league team of the week, and scoring goals.  How good do they need to be?  Obviously they are not going to suddenly manifest as the finished article.

• Like 1

bulk average performance.. few plus apart from a reminder delph is decent cover and  our bac line beyond 1st choise needs 'attention',,, being polite.   oh  and our bac up strikers need 'refreshing' the in form boys and young prospects NEED to be able to see there are

oportunities atm there maybe but  it dont look it..

39 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Rashford needs to leave Utd- it's a real graveyard for decent strikers.

In reality we have one CF spot in a 4-3-3. Lukaku will take some shifting. But Rashford can also play either side.

Show me one top class team with no competition for places? Rashford will get his chances this season and if he plays well will stay in the team.

If you are referring to Martial, he's had his chances too. Albeit not in his favorite position.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Switzerland fielded a strong team. If nothing else last night showed the B team can hold their own against good opposition.  Rashford needs to leave Utd- it's a real graveyard for decent strikers.

Without wanting to create a storm.. or expecting trolly arguements  lingard arguably being the exception has ANYONE at utd improved under jose. Trouble is leaving a champs lge club cos u cant command a starting place suggests that another champs lge club probably wont be interested and if they are atm he 'll probably be in the same postion he is now...challenging from the bench.

2 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Without wanting to create a storm.. or expecting trolly arguements  lingard arguably being the exception has ANYONE at utd improved under jose. Trouble is leaving a champs lge club cos u cant command a starting place suggests that another champs lge club probably wont be interested and if they are atm he 'll probably be in the same postion he is now...challenging from the bench.

So what's the answer? Stay at the club which raised him and prove he is good enough. Not down tools and agitate for a move. 

Under Mourinho in addition to Lingard, Luke Shaw and McTominay have come on well. Ashley Young has pretty much been born again. 

Wonder where all those who cited Jose for "bullying" Shaw are now? Even Shaw admits he needed a kick up the ass, and that Jose has also given him a lot of confidence.

Just now, 3 minus 2 said:

That's a bit of a weird statement. Different clubs adopt different systems. Lucas moura being an example. Rashford is a starter or a guaranteed supersub for me. In pretty much any top team.

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

That's a bit of a weird statement. Different clubs adopt different systems. Lucas moura being an example. Rashford is a starter or a guaranteed supersub for me. In pretty much any top team.

yeah , atm  thts pretty much as rashford is, what the orig question was by m b was he thought he should leave utd to get more game time, the ONLY way at the mo he'll get a guaranteed  start  like a kane  or a salah is to step down a level to  mid tableish team.which i cant see him doing  so ,,, really atm  its a which came first scenario chicken or egg ,,, ish oh youngs  he may have got press but he's  always been a TOP draw pro nothing to do with jose and i've wanted shaw at tottenham 44 ???  ever ..  was never a doubt he was gonna come bac at sometime with aplomb again NOT down to jose, his style suffocates talent. its a role/job everything else comes a VV distant second, as a rule pof thumb dull and boring, sayin that there seems to be a glimmer of change /light this season. or am i imagining it