Good News For Thai Non-imm O Visa Holders

I had to renew my Non-Imm-O this month. First I called my Thai lawyer friend and asked him if there had been any changes in the visa requirements for non-Thais married to Thais. He said "No." Today I went to the Immigration office in Bangkok and got another one year multiple entry Non-Imm visa. The same requirements as preceding years....just a Thai bank account with the proper amount; no need to show income from pension or from $ coming in from abroad.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you just talking about extending an old visa.........................?

I didnt think you could get any visa from immigration? I thought immigration only did visa extensions?

They just restamp my passport with the Non-Imm visa and put in the new dates....good for another year. I always go the the Immigration office on Soi Suan Phlu...just off Sathorn.

It looks to me like Corkscrew got himself an annual extension of stay or a multiple-entry re-entry permit or both.

Without seeing the new stamp or stamps he got in his passport, I guess we shall never know, nor does it really matter, does it? Nothing has changed, and we were told that nothing would change, for people who previously had extensions for support of Thai wife.

--------------

Maestro

It looks to me like Corkscrew got himself an annual extension of stay or a multiple-entry re-entry permit or both.

Without seeing the new stamp or stamps he got in his passport, I guess we shall never know, nor does it really matter, does it? Nothing has changed, and we were told that nothing would change, for people who previously had extensions for support of Thai wife.

--------------

Maestro

It is the same as I get every year:

NON-IMM

Immigration Thailand Re-Entry Permit

Number xxxxx

Valid until 30 Oct 2007

Number of persons: one

Number of entries: Multiple

Etc...

Edited by corkscrew

I had to renew my Non-Imm-O this month. First I called my Thai lawyer friend and asked him if there had been any changes in the visa requirements for non-Thais married to Thais. He said "No." Today I went to the Immigration office in Bangkok and got another one year multiple entry Non-Imm visa. The same requirements as preceding years....just a Thai bank account with the proper amount; no need to show income from pension or from $ coming in from abroad.

hi,ive been married to my thai mrs for over 2 years,we live in the uk,and have a house i n samui,we want to move to samui permanantely...if i get a non imm o visa whilst im here in the uk,is that me sorted for 1 year?{i know i must visa run every 3 months}at the end of this first year,do i then do as you have explained and go to a thai immigration for a new 1 year non imm visa?how much do i need to show when you say"a proper amount in a thai bank account"....how much is this new visa?how many of these non imm o visas do need to get before i can apply for residency?

all info well appreciated......thanks :o

I thougght this had been common knowledge for some time? :o

Clearly not, 'twould seem...

The problem appears to be for new applicants, as the capital option is no longer available to them: they can now only show income to get the extension as far as I have gleaned.

For those having extended prior to the 1st of October by showing capital, they benefit from being 'grandfathered' and can therefore continue to rely on the capital opton, if they choose.

hi,ive been married to my thai mrs for over 2 years,we live in the uk,and have a house i n samui,we want to move to samui permanantely...if i get a non imm o visa whilst im here in the uk,is that me sorted for 1 year?{i know i must visa run every 3 months}at the end of this first year,do i then do as you have explained and go to a thai immigration for a new 1 year non imm visa?how much do i need to show when you say"a proper amount in a thai bank account"....how much is this new visa?how many of these non imm o visas do need to get before i can apply for residency?

YES

get an 12 month non entry o visa, that is you good for twelve months,

regarding the other questions cant answer, but i believe it is a bit of a lottery to get residency

get an 12 month non entry o visa, that is you good for twelve months

Corkscrew, for the above please read “multiple-entry non-immigrant visa type O; this is valid for 12 months”

---------------

Maestro

meatgrowler the simple answer is no - you will be a different ballgame than corkscrew.

A. You can do a visa run every 3 months if you choose that course of action then at the end of your visa's life (it normally is spun out to 15 months) you will need to leave Thailand and aquire a new visa.

B. Or you can go the extension route - you apply for the extension at or about the 80 day mark of your 1st 3 month period ( NB. this when approved removes the need to cross the border every 3 months BUT you are still required to notify immigration of your address every 3 months.

Now the important part the 400,00 in the bank has been discontinued for anyone who applies for said extension post 1st Oct 06 - the new requirement is to show income of 40000 baht each and every month (this 40000 can be from yourself or your spouse or a combination of you & yours truly).

Residency 3 years continuous issued on a quota basis etc etc walk before you run is my best advice.

I hope this puts the situation into perspective for you. :D

Edited by mijan24

HI There,

I am on 90 day extention from my non"O" Visa. My actual visa expired last September 2006. I got a stamp for 90 day from Mae Sai which takes me till Nov. 23. Should I be getting my renewal from Bangkok immigration or Singapore/KL or Penang. I got my Multiple entry type "O" from penang Last year. I only have my marriage certificate and my Daughters Birth certificate and a bank account with a regular 30,000 baht monthly deposit record which shows cashflow of 30,000 baht a month. Please advise...

Thanks

You do not qualify for an extension of stay from Immigration (if 30k is all your family makes) as the requirement is 40k family income. The multi entry non immigrant O visa is no longer available from Penang. But better news is that it can still be obtained in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and probably your home country.

...my Daughters Birth certificate...

You didn’t mention your age, but if you are over 50 years old, you should be able to get an annual extension without having to show proof of income or money in the bank.

---------------

Maestro

hi corkscrew,can you give me some idea of the"the proper amount"that is required in my thai bank,at the time my visa renewal....cheers m8 :o

If you have not done a marriage extension of stay before you do not have the option of bank account deposit. The requirement for new applicants is 40k monthly family income. The rules were changed - but not for those already in the system.

//Edit: in the event you are on an extension of stay and just forgot the amount it was 400k bank deposit.//

The problem appears to be for new applicants, as the capital option is no longer available to them: they can now only show income to get the extension as far as I have gleaned.

For those having extended prior to the 1st of October by showing capital, they benefit from being 'grandfathered' and can therefore continue to rely on the capital opton, if they choose.

This is how understood it also. So if Corkscrew has been doing this prior to October 1st, then nothing will have changed for him

totster :o

You didn’t mention your age, but if you are over 50 years old, you should be able to get an annual extension without having to show proof of income or money in the bank.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks for the quick response guys,

I'm 52 yeras old. What do I need and where do I go to get this one year extension based on my age? Is it a retirement visa?

---------------

Maestro

I'm 52 yeras old. What do I need and where do I go to get this one year extension based on my age? Is it a retirement visa?

The way I see it , it would be a year extension based on supporting a Thai Wife and Child and as you are over fifty years of age . No proof of income or savings are needed. A bit strange but good for us oldies with kids

Obtained from any Immigration office in Thailand.

Others on this site can advise further.

---------------

Maestro

The way I see it , it would be a year extension based on supporting a Thai Wife and Child and as you are over fifty years of age . No proof of income or savings are needed. A bit strange but good for us oldies with kids

Is this a new rule?

I am 56 and have extended my non-imm 'O' based on marriage and support of a Thai child for the last 3 years........they have ALWAYS asked for 400K in the bank.

I have spoken to Immigration post October 1st and they have confirmed the same rules, 400K in the bank.

I am now confused..... :o

---------------

Maestro

Is this a new rule?

I am 56 and have extended my non-imm 'O' based on marriage and support of a Thai child for the last 3 years........they have ALWAYS asked for 400K in the bank.

I have spoken to Immigration post October 1st and they have confirmed the same rules, 400K in the bank.

Don't worry bout it. Nothing has changed for you.

Others it has, but for you, you are ok with 400K in the bank, as you had an extension of stay based on marriage before Oct 1st, 2006

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---------------

Maestro

Is this a new rule?

Don't worry bout it. Nothing has changed for you.

Others it has, but for you, you are ok with 400K in the bank, as you had an extension of stay based on marriage before Oct 1st, 2006

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks Sunbelt I understand that my situation remains unchanged.

I was querying what Maestro and LITE BEER are saying about over 50s NOT needing to show money in the bank to extend their stay for 1 year.

This is how understood it also. So if Corkscrew has been doing this prior to October 1st, then nothing will have changed for him

totster :o

Yes, I have been doing this since 2002 so my case is governed by the old rules.

Over fifty, if father of a Thai child as I understand it.

Sunbelt ?

Correct based on 7.17 (5) of the National Police Office Order No. 606/2006

If married with Thai child, then you should not apply under 7.17 (6), if you are over 50 years old.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt ?

If married with Thai child, then you should not apply under 7.17 (6), if you are over 50 years old.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks. Always a chance I could be wrong but not Maestro.

Sunbelt ?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi again,

So based on 7.17(5) of the national police office order No. 606.2006,

I can go to Chiang Mai Immigration and apply for a one year extension at the end of my 15th month non-O visa. Just bring My marriage certificate and her ID, My daughters birth certificate, passport and pictures right? and not to worry about show of income or money in the bank... That would be a great relief and help for us...

nuu_hope

Sunbelt ?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

hi,

am wondering if this would apply to my situation. I'm 51 and supporting a Thai defacto and our child. I got a single entry 3 month non O from Penang for the first time which will expire on the 20th of next month. any chance I could get an extension without having to prove an income of 40k or more or to have 400k in the bank? much appreciated if you could provide some info on this.

Sunbelt ?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi again,

So based on 7.17(5) of the national police office order No. 606.2006,

I can go to Chiang Mai Immigration and apply for a one year extension at the end of my 15th month non-O visa. Just bring My marriage certificate and her ID, My daughters birth certificate, passport and pictures right? and not to worry about show of income or money in the bank... That would be a great relief and help for us...

nuu_hope

Do NOT bring those documents "My marriage certificate and her ID, ", you'll just confuse them that you are asking for 7.17 (6)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com