Anyone can comment 3BB VDSL Internet?

gessi2000

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3BB finally came around to switch on VDSL today.

While I get 33 up and 5.5 down in Thailand, the international bandwidth is not good.

I'm getting anywhere between 4 to 7 down and 1.5 to 3 up on international servers.

There was me hoping for a solid 15/3 or something...

:-(

I have requested someone check my line, after that I will contact them again and ask if the have any premium packages.

Edited by manarak

I'm getting anywhere between 4 to 7 down and 1.5 to 3 up on international servers.

Its unlikely that something is wrong with your line.

I am on ToT fibre and do some tests regularly during the last weeks.

I have about the same numbers currently (just now) as you have:

7,7 Mbps 2,0 Mbps (a German server)

Sure, these numbes are not great, but just good enough for my purposes.

Best measured since March 30:

17,5 Mbps 3,0 Mbps (3.0 being the maximum upload I am subscribed to)

You can save time and effort on checking the line.

Premium packages for international bandwidth: this I would be very interested to hear about (if you find a competent 3BB person).

If 3BB comes to check: they will do a speedtest to their Bangkok servers, see the 33 down, 5 up (or better depending on time of day / day of week) and off they go.

You will not get any comment on slow international bandwidth.

Be prepared for more bad numbers over the Songkran holidays.

Everybody off duty, too much time on hand to watch funny videos, doing video chats and watching soap operas (which makes up for most of the bandwidth nowadays).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Its unlikely that something is wrong with your line.

I am on ToT fibre and do some tests regularly during the last weeks.

I have about the same numbers currently (just now) as you have:

7,7 Mbps 2,0 Mbps (a German server)

Sure, these numbes are not great, but just good enough for my purposes.

Best measured since March 30:

17,5 Mbps 3,0 Mbps (3.0 being the maximum upload I am subscribed to)

You can save time and effort on checking the line.

Premium packages for international bandwidth: this I would be very interested to hear about (if you find a competent 3BB person).

If 3BB comes to check: they will do a speedtest to their Bangkok servers, see the 33 down, 5 up (or better depending on time of day / day of week) and off they go.

You will not get any comment on slow international bandwidth.

Be prepared for more bad numbers over the Songkran holidays.

Everybody off duty, too much time on hand to watch funny videos, doing video chats and watching soap operas (which makes up for most of the bandwidth nowadays).

apparently their premium packages for international bandwidth are gone, I have asked in the shop and the call center.

the call center told me something strange though: their staff was working on connecting my 50/10 plan directly to overseas router... hmm...

but they can come to check the line anyway, apparently they love to do that.

Edited by manarak

Just 2 3bb technicians came up here. They confirmed, the line / signal is bad. It's about the old lines in the building. Now they need to do a report to the management. But where will nothing happen. That's for sure. They also told me, VDSL would work, but i should better stay with ADSL since the line quality is that bad.

Well, bad luck.

A piece of crap.

current test results

SWITZERLAND

5241258251.png

NEW YORK

5241261158.png

TOKYO (abysmal result)

5241266212.png

that's with the 50/10 VSDL plan, I'm getting 33 down 5.5 testing with a bangkok server.

Edited by manarak

With VDSL? That's a joke. I get better results with my ADSL. As i s said. It's getting worse, day by day.

at least the upload is much better. I'd be happy if I got 12 down and 2 up stable for international. 15 down and 3 up and I throw a party.

here is the DSL log from their Huawei router:

DSL synchronization status:Up

Connection status:Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):5885
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):35539
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):32276
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):110360
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 30.6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 32
Upstream interleave depth:1
Downstream interleave depth:2979
Line standard:VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):0
Downstream line attenuation (dB):10
Upstream output power (dBm):-1.5
Downstream output power (dBm):14.3
Channel type:Interleaved

DSL up time:0 days 1 hour 51 minutes 50 seconds

Edited by manarak

Just 2 3bb technicians came up here. They confirmed, the line / signal is bad. It's about the old lines in the building. Now they need to do a report to the management. But where will nothing happen. That's for sure. They also told me, VDSL would work, but i should better stay with ADSL since the line quality is that bad.

Well, bad luck.

A piece of crap.

So it seems it's your building wiring that's at fault rather than 3BB!

If I look at the wiring in my building, VT5C, then I would assume it's the same problem for me with VDSL as well.

It's just a real mess and cheap copper cables aroung the building and I do not expect the meeting will agree to replace those as it costs money and most of the meeting votes are still held by the developer so they won't agree.... Sad but true

Yes. It's an internal issue. Let us pray that they replace that line. I'm even willing to cover the costs if other residents are also participate.

The meeting is finish now. But i will ask tomorrow about the outcome.But it's confirmed by the manager that this was definitively a topic, since I'm not the only one.

To be fair, since the upgrade, Youtube videos get loaded faster, even on HD. And, much more important, my sensitive platform is working smoother. I recognized this already Friday night. Now it looks, it's confirmed. Actually I can't complain, since the upgrade. The technician told me, the signal is stable, even i can't get the promised speed. But he also told me, till the line/cable is not replaced by a new one, i could forget VDSL.

However, i need at least this level of speed and reliability. Otherwise I'm in trouble.

So I'm still left wondering if it is worth it to switch to vdsl 20/4 or just stick with adsl 13/1. Same 590 price.

On a second glance of their website http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product , they are not offering ADSL anymore. Only VDSL. So if i'm willing to lease the VDSL modem for 1500 baht.

side question: any reason why adsl modem cannot be used at all? Is the protocol that much different?

I was told by the 3BB local office in BigC Tasala, Chiang Mai that all 10/500k lines will be upgraded to 18/1.4 over the next 2 months.

Mine was running at 18/1.4 last month, but has now reverted to 10/500k (maybe a test).

Rather than changing to 20/4 for 590 baht/month, I will be upgrading to 50/10 at 700 baht/month.

I was on ADSL 10/1 for 590 baht and then I saw on the modem settings it was 15.5/0.6. I put in a trouble ticket late yesterday and they came late today and fixed it so that it is 18/1.8 . International speed tests are good. My area (Saphli, Pathio, Chumphon) does not have VDSL yet. Maybe Mueang does, I didn't ask. So we are all getting upgraded.

I don't know if ASDL can go past 20/2 in real world, so I guess those on a higher plan (the old 900 baht plan) it might be worth it to 'downgrade' to the 18/1.8. for 590. Not sure if those people on the old plan are still getting billed 900 baht. If you are not getting your 18/1.8 I would submit a trouble ticket.

Thanks for that price list. I will ask them about the possibility of a cheaper modem for vdsl customers. maybe it wont be 100 baht, but we'll see.

This is a paste from my new Adsl settings.

Line Status Help Upstream max rate (kbit/s) 2488 Downstream max rate (kbit/s) 24312 Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 2198 Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 21924 Line standard ADSL2+(AnnexM)
Channel type
Interleaved Upstream SNR (dB) 15 Downstream SNR (dB) 6.4 Upstream line attenuation (dB) 19 Downstream line attenuation (dB) 16 Upstream output power (dBmV) 11.8 Downstream output power (dBmV) 14.4 Upstream CRC 0 Downstream CRC 606 Upstream FEC 65 Downstream FEC 266017

Seems like they actually gave me 21.9/2.2 . Not the first time; they usually give me a little more than what I subscribe for. I take the wins wherever I can get it.

Well, bad luck.

A piece of crap.

Is it possible to get a separate wiring just to your unit? Or does that violate condo rules? Most of us out here have detached units or townhouses and 3bb wires each unit separately.

So I'm still left wondering if it is worth it to switch to vdsl 20/4 or just stick with adsl 13/1. Same 590 price.

On a second glance of their website http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product , they are not offering ADSL anymore. Only VDSL. So if i'm willing to lease the VDSL modem for 1500 baht.

side question: any reason why adsl modem cannot be used at all? Is the protocol that much different?

I was told by the 3BB local office in BigC Tasala, Chiang Mai that all 10/500k lines will be upgraded to 18/1.4 over the next 2 months.

Mine was running at 18/1.4 last month, but has now reverted to 10/500k (maybe a test).

Rather than changing to 20/4 for 590 baht/month, I will be upgrading to 50/10 at 700 baht/month.

I was on ADSL 10/1 for 590 baht and then I saw on the modem settings it was 15.5/0.6. I put in a trouble ticket late yesterday and they came late today and fixed it so that it is 18/1.8 . International speed tests are good. My area (Saphli, Pathio, Chumphon) does not have VDSL yet. Maybe Mueang does, I didn't ask. So we are all getting upgraded.

I don't know if ASDL can go past 20/2 in real world, so I guess those on a higher plan (the old 900 baht plan) it might be worth it to 'downgrade' to the 18/1.8. for 590. Not sure if those people on the old plan are still getting billed 900 baht. If you are not getting your 18/1.8 I would submit a trouble ticket.

Thanks for that price list. I will ask them about the possibility of a cheaper modem for vdsl customers. maybe it wont be 100 baht, but we'll see.

This is a paste from my new Adsl settings.

Line Status Help Upstream max rate (kbit/s) 2488 Downstream max rate (kbit/s) 24312 Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 2198 Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 21924 Line standard ADSL2+(AnnexM)

Channel type Interleaved Upstream SNR (dB) 15 Downstream SNR (dB) 6.4 Upstream line attenuation (dB) 19 Downstream line attenuation (dB) 16 Upstream output power (dBmV) 11.8 Downstream output power (dBmV) 14.4 Upstream CRC 0 Downstream CRC 606 Upstream FEC 65 Downstream FEC 266017

Seems like they actually gave me 21.9/2.2 . Not the first time; they usually give me a little more than what I subscribe for. I take the wins wherever I can get it.

Well, bad luck.

A piece of crap.

Is it possible to get a separate wiring just to your unit? Or does that violate condo rules? Most of us out here have detached units or townhouses and 3bb wires each unit separately.

I would like this option but I don't think it's practical as they would have to cross other people's property to get a dedicated line to your unit of a condo building

If you live on a high floor I think the best they will probably do is connect your existing phone line at the groundfloor box of your building, if the last few hundred M of copper line is crap....your probably S.O.L.

if cable conduits aren't full, it is always possible to pass another line through the same conduits as the existing phone lines, passing through no other people's private property at all.

it is just a matter of condo comittee giving the ok and someone paying the cost - laying 200m of telephone copper cable won't cost much.

Edited by manarak

if cable conduits aren't full, it is always possible to pass another line through the same conduits as the existing phone lines.

Yes but need to get permission from the management of the building and maybe neighbors too depending on the logistics of the previous install maybe decades ago... More simple to connect your existing line to the nearest point of their network .....

The guys who come to install it probably don't give 2 fjcks how much bandwidth you get

Hello I am confused with the new promotion, I am currently on 30/3 costing 1284thb pm, I phoned up and asked to go to the 50/10 package 790thb, she told me I had been upgraded to 50/15, a package not shown on the website plus my internal bandwidth would be cut but could not tell me by how much, I am wondering if the price difference is really worth it, done a normal speed test this morning before posting this, does anyone know how much the cut really is so I can make a decision?

post-18955-0-08951800-1460422232_thumb.j

Edited by baggies666

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpgHello I am confused with the new promotion, I am currently on 30/3 costing 1284thb pm, I phoned up and asked to go to the 50/10 package 790thb, she told me I had been upgraded to 50/15, a package not shown on the website plus my internal bandwidth would be cut but could not tell me by how much, I am wondering if the price difference is really worth it, done a normal speed test this morning before posting this, does anyone know how much the cut really is so I can make a decision?

Are you on Fiber? If yes.. Then stay on the 50/10 it's a good improvement over your original. I'm guessing that your line or distance from the hub is why you haven't been increased to 100/10. Or 3bb have realised that is actually unachievable for the majority of their connections.

Hello I am confused with the new promotion, I am currently on 30/3 costing 1284thb pm, I phoned up and asked to go to the 50/10 package 790thb, she told me I had been upgraded to 50/15, a package not shown on the website plus my internal bandwidth would be cut but could not tell me by how much, I am wondering if the price difference is really worth it, done a normal speed test this morning before posting this, does anyone know how much the cut really is so I can make a decision?

Such tests to some server in Thailand ("Songklah Province") do say nothing about international bandwidth.

And this Ookla tests with selection from some "map" are simply a pain in the ...

Is there really no way to select the server from a list?

What a crap,

Edited by KhunBENQ

Such tests to some server in Thailand do say nothing about international bandwidth.

And this Ookla tests with selection from some "map" are simply a pain in the ...

What a crap,

Try the "True" speed test. You can select from five servers.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/speedtest

Edited by rawhod

http://trueonline.tr...co.th/speedtest

Thats a good one. Ookla but with a preconfigured list.

Just for information (I am not on 3BB but ToT fibre 30/3).

The values to UK (18.63 / 2.70) are really good compared with other test results I had.

USA (8.13 / 1.53) is "usable", the high latency (ping) is not normal.

I bet the values will go down steep in the afternoon.

That's what I experienced very often.

Should I mention that test to "Thailand" gives 29.25 / 2.69 (almost exactly to what I pay for).

Surprise surprise biggrin.png

post-99794-0-72614500-1460433160_thumb.j

post-99794-0-88110100-1460433170_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Such tests to some server in Thailand ("Songklah Province") do say nothing about international bandwidth.

What a crap,

Just go into "settings" at the top. Then scroll down and you can choose any server you want from the list. Easy!

Different servers in different countries and even cities can give different results.. I don't think it's an exact science. Lol

Edited by casualbiker

http://trueonline.tr...co.th/speedtest

Thats a good one. Ookla but with a preconfigured list.

Just for information (I am not on 3BB but ToT fibre 30/3).

The values to UK (18.63 / 2.70) are really good compared with other test results I had.

USA (8.53 / 1.53) is "usable", the high latency (ping) is not normal.

I bet the values will go down steep in the afternoon.

That's what I experienced very often.

Should I mention that test to "Thailand" gives 29.25 / 2.69 (almost exactly to what I pay for).

Surprise surprise biggrin.png

attachicon.gifuk.jpg

attachicon.gifusa.jpg

Your values go down because either more people are online or your ISP is throttling. Or BOTH (TRUE)

Your values go down because either more people are online or your ISP is throttling. Or BOTH (TRUE)

Too me it feels like hefty throttling at certain times.

And the strange results are that upload is normal and faster(!) than download sometimes.

No I am on the vdsl package 50/15

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpgHello I am confused with the new promotion, I am currently on 30/3 costing 1284thb pm, I phoned up and asked to go to the 50/10 package 790thb, she told me I had been upgraded to 50/15, a package not shown on the website plus my internal bandwidth would be cut but could not tell me by how much, I am wondering if the price difference is really worth it, done a normal speed test this morning before posting this, does anyone know how much the cut really is so I can make a decision?

Are you on Fiber? If yes.. Then stay on the 50/10 it's a good improvement over your original. I'm guessing that your line or distance from the hub is why you haven't been increased to 100/10. Or 3bb have realised that is actually unachievable for the majority of their connections.

Such tests to some server in Thailand do say nothing about international bandwidth.

What a crap,

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/speedtest

the updated speedtest at dsl reports now uses html5 and you can customize the servers it uses to test in the options menu: www.dslreports.com/speedtest

3587259.png post-109486-0-12354700-1460437384_thumb.

Seems to be about 8/1.4 on avg to USA. It is even faster when I do direct download and I think certain websites like youtube are exempt from throttling or restrictions (maybe they have more advanced content distribution network?) I do occasionally see throttling on Adsl. But I use a seedbox to download any torrent files and then use http/https to download files direct to computer. So I don't congest the local thai traffic with torrent. Works out pretty well and the recent upgrade to 18/1.8 is great to view vps in new york and do any direct downloads.

Edited by 4evermaat

This 18M is NOT for an international use:

5237877211.png

5237860660.png

Hi. After 3 days using the 18Mbs package, I changed my mind smile.png

Ok, if your usage of Internet is downloading big files from abroad, one by one (one after another), then you may get 7 Mbs only and lose 50% of the speed of the 15M "international" package... but who is doing that?

I downloaded today from France a directory full of HD pictures (several Mo each) using WinScp who allows parallel (simultaneous) downloads. Result: the bandwidth graph was nearly flat, at about 16Mbs smile.png

The 50% limitation for international download on the 18Mb seems to be "by download" only, but you can make several downloads simultanously until you use your full 18 Mbs smile.png

Same thing with P2P. I downloaded a movie yesterday using µTorrent software and - because a fast P2P download is in fact many simultaneous slow downloads - the overall speed stayed in the 1.2-1.4 Mo/s most of time smile.png

I also used the WinScp software to upload pictures on a server (so Thailand towards France) and got a steady 2.2-2.3 Mbs, well over the official 1.8, and well over the 1.4 I used to get with previous package.

Also my connection is a lot more stable now:

- The European web-radios I listen to, regularly had some buffering interruption; no more.

- I used to have a daily disconnection everyday between 12am and 1am; no more.

- YouTube full HD also works now wonderfully : Unsure if YouTube has mirrors inside Thailand or in nearby countries (Malaysia? Singapore?) but this package is clearly optimized for such services.

My intention 3 days ago was to return to 3BB Office to see if was possible to come back on my previous package, but now I think I will keep this one. smile.png

What a crap,

I use http://speedof.me for my speed tests.

If everybody downgrades packages for saving a few hundred baht, be ready to expect lower international bandwidth. I am sure they are doing some sort of priorization / QoS ---> higher end packages receive better share of international bandwidth.

If everybody downgrades packages for saving a few hundred baht, be ready to expect lower international bandwidth. I am sure they are doing some sort of priorization / QoS ---> higher end packages receive better share of international bandwidth.

But then i ask you, why they don't want to sell the higher priced packages anymore? It's not about to save money. I'm convinced, plenty of clients would love to pay more for a better intl. bandwidth. Both Thais and foreigners.