Physical Exam

TheFishman1

Bangkok Hospital is going to finish up A White Elephant

I don't know how you can say that Bangkok Hospital is "going to finish up a White Elephant"? I was there today for my quarterly visit with Dr. Apichart (reitred cardiology professor from CMU) to review my various cardiac related issues. Every time I go, the place is a little busier, but yet it's not "too busy". As always, I was seen promptly at my appointed time and wasn't rushed during my consultation.

None of this nonsense about coming at the time of your appointment and then being handed a queue number like is happening at CM Ram these days -- and has always been standard practice at Sripat.

Bangkok Hospital is running a "special" now on their health check-up packages. For example, their Advanced Male Checkup that's normally 30,500 baht is on sale for 10,900 baht

http://www.chaladmarketing.co.th/images/HFE2016.jpg

You have to purchase a voucher before April 8th, but you can wait to use the service until the end of July. Many other services are on special offer, too.

The desk in the lobby where they explain and sell the various packages on special looked fairly busy this morning.

I don't know how you can say that Bangkok Hospital is "going to finish up a White Elephant"? I was there today for my quarterly visit with Dr. Apichart (reitred cardiology professor from CMU) to review my various cardiac related issues. Every time I go, the place is a little busier, but yet it's not "too busy". As always, I was seen promptly at my appointed time and wasn't rushed during my consultation.

None of this nonsense about coming at the time of your appointment and then being handed a queue number like is happening at CM Ram these days -- and has always been standard practice at Sripat.

Bangkok Hospital is running a "special" now on their health check-up packages. For example, their Advanced Male Checkup that's normally 30,500 baht is on sale for 10,900 baht

You have to purchase a voucher before April 8th, but you can wait to use the service until the end of July. Many other services are on special offer, too.

The desk in the lobby where they explain and sell the various packages on special looked fairly busy this morning.

Thanks for the update, but they seem to be offering incredible specials/packages that are indicative of a hospital that isn't quite making it. Bangkok Hospitals in all their glory usually don't need to make such discounts.

However, if you feel it's going in the right direction then that's good news.

A friend of mine went there and had all kinds of exams. What you say is true. But to get good results he had to go to the Ram. He won't go back to the Bangkok again. He is more interested in his health than in looks.

Edit

I looked on their site and could not find any thing for my ear. So I called them and got transferred from operator to operator.

On the other hand a friend died there from Cancer and they took care of every thing. They arranged the cremation and transported the body to the crematorium. His wife didn't have to do a thing except go with a group of us to the hospital and follow the body to the crematorium where we all said goodby. No religious ceramonies they are atheists.

Edited by northernjohn

A friend of mine went there and had all kinds of exams. What you say is true. But to get good results he had to go to the Ram. He won't go back to the Bangkok again. He is more interested in his health than in looks.

What "good results " were being sought ?

Did the signs of the alcoholic liver disease disappear when "tested" at the Ram ?

Please be precise and state what is meant by "good results" as apposed to (allegedly) "bad" results ...........................

Edited by johnatong

Thanks for the update, but they seem to be offering incredible specials/packages that are indicative of a hospital that isn't quite making it. Bangkok Hospitals in all their glory usually don't need to make such discounts.

Apparently they are running some amazing specials. Our housekeeper recently had her child admitted there for a couple of days. She didn't seem to think it was expensive at all. I didn't ask what the problem was or what services were rendered but I got the impression from the conversation that the child had a virus and fever and needed IV medicine.

What "good results " were being sought ?

Did the signs of the alcoholic liver disease disappear when "tested" at the Ram ?

Please be precise and state what is meant by "good results" as apposed to (allegedly) "bad" results ...........................

Sorry about that the tests all said he was OK. But he still had blood in his piss.

I didn't know he was an alcoholic. I know since he had to put his wife in a home with 24 hour care he has drank a little more.

But I didn't know it was that bad.

Clearly the tests were not "all OK" and blood in the urine is easily detected by a urine analysis undertaken as a matter of routine during any health "check"

IF he had Haematuria (the non crude term for "blood in the p*ss") he would have been advised that further investigation was warranted.

His choice was to accept the advice or reject it

The Haematuria would not have simply disappeared by seeking a "check" at a different hospital.

Apparently they are running some amazing specials. Our housekeeper recently had her child admitted there for a couple of days. She didn't seem to think it was expensive at all. I didn't ask what the problem was or what services were rendered but I got the impression from the conversation that the child had a virus and fever and needed IV medicine.

Yes that was my point, Bangkok Hospitals down south don't need to run amazing specials to keep going.

Still, good to take advantage of them whilst they have them,

Clearly the tests were not "all OK" and blood in the urine is easily detected by a urine analysis undertaken as a matter of routine during any health "check"
IF he had Haematuria (the non crude term for "blood in the p*ss") he would have been advised that further investigation was warranted.
His choice was to accept the advice or reject it
The Haematuria would not have simply disappeared by seeking a "check" at a different hospital.

Well you are welcome to your opinion. I am just relating the facts.

You seem to have first hand knowledge apparently he is telling you more than he is telling me.

As I said I didn't realize he was an alcoholic maybe that is why the confusion. they often have different stories for different people.

Edited by northernjohn

Yes, Bangkok Hospital is new to Chiang Mai and it's unrealistic to expect people to flock to it instantly, which is why their running specials so people will see try it out and then change their habits. Worked for me! They got me in the door last year with a similar special price promotion and I treated myself to an overdue colonoscopy for 17,000 baht. (They have the same special price available again.) It was cheaper than what my husband had paid a few months earlier for the same procedure at CM Ram and the surroundings were a little nicer, so that got me to do a complete check-up there.

That's how a business new to a market starts to build their customer base.

But for Uptheos to say "Bangkok Hospital is going to Finish up a White Elephant" is just wrong. As I said in my post, now I'm there every quarter and each quarter it gets busier and busier. I expect the day will come when they don't have to offer these great promotions to keep themselves busy.

Yes, Bangkok Hospital is new to Chiang Mai and it's unrealistic to expect people to flock to it instantly, which is why their running specials so people will see try it out and then change their habits. Worked for me! They got me in the door last year with a similar special price promotion and I treated myself to an overdue colonoscopy for 17,000 baht. (They have the same special price available again.) It was cheaper than what my husband had paid a few months earlier for the same procedure at CM Ram and the surroundings were a little nicer, so that got me to do a complete check-up there.

But for Uptheos to say "Bangkok Hospital is going to Finish up a White Elephant" is just wrong. As I said in my post, now I'm there every quarter and each quarter it gets busier and busier. I expect the day will come when they don't have to offer these great promotions to keep themselves busy.

Bangkok Hospital in CM is not new. It has been open for two years. Up's comments are reasonable.

Bangkok Hospital in CM is not new. It has been open for two years. Up's comments are reasonable.

+1

The health exam prices that were posted are not especially inexpensive by comparison to elsewhere in Chiang Mai, it seems to me that longer term residents may continue to use existing facilities whereas newbies may well go to the newer entrant which seems to trade on the basis of its brand alone, that will take time to build a competitive business. And as always, it's all about the doctor and not the hospital. So until the new guy gets all the older experienced and well known hands to swap employers, that business isn't going anywhere fast.

Valid point. Part of why I'm going to Bangkok Hospital is my cardiologist retired from Suan Dok/Sripat and then joined the staff at Bangkok Hospital. They've picked up several other well-respected doctors (and their patients) this way, too.

Also, early on, they decided to make maternity and pediatrics an area of focus. A good way to bring in young families as customers, isn't it, with a view to them continuing all their life.

My neighbor 80 years old went to Bangkok Hospital for a quadruplet heart bypass .Cost B1.5 M ,and now 4 or 5 months later he is doing well .If he was back in the UK he may be dead by now .Although the cost would have been covered by the NHS .Because of his age he would most likely have had to wait at least several weeks .With Bangkok Hospital they done him the day following his admission .(he had to pay them up front though ) .

And when that day comes you will be quite happy to pay their 'normal' over inflated prices.

It's probably catering to new CEP club members. biggrin.png

It will never be the premier hospital in CM (interms of customer base)

My neighbor 80 years old went to Bangkok Hospital for a quadruplet heart bypass .Cost B1.5 M ,and now 4 or 5 months later he is doing well .If he was back in the UK he may be dead by now .Although the cost would have been covered by the NHS .Because of his age he would most likely have had to wait at least several weeks .With Bangkok Hospital they done him the day following his admission .(he had to pay them up front though ) .

What a ridiculous statement comparing a 1.5 Mil operation to NHS.

If you go private anywhere, you will be seen to faster than their social service.

Also, early on, they decided to make maternity and pediatrics an area of focus. A good way to bring in young families as customers, isn't it, with a view to them continuing all their life.

By putting some (much needed) makeup on Ajarn Sompong and plastering his photo standing next to some beautiful nurses (or models) in all the HiSo magazines. Thais eat that stuff up. They also paid him a handsome incentive to leave Sriphat to go there. I'm always amazed how Thais (and others....including many farang missionaries) are so impressed by him and the scene over there. One missionary I know kept telling me how impressed he and his Thai wife were with Sompong and the OB/GYN Department there and how they paid 105K THB to have their baby there. Dr. Sompong delivered my kid at Sriphat for 16K THB. I wasn't overly impressed. They could not reach him for many hours and he showed up less than 2 minutes before the actual birth. He almost missed it... And because he did not answer his telephone or pager for more than 5 hours, there was no M.D. to prescribe pain meds for my wife and she went through the entire procedure without a drop of pain medicine; including local anesthesia. He was too late for that too!

Edited by elektrified

If you go private anywhere, you will be seen to faster than their social service.

>>What a ridiculous statement comparing a 1.5 Mil operation to NHS.<<........Not comparing just giving one mans experiences using Bangkok hospital and the choices he had .He

Probably faced paying 60,000 sterling plus AS PRIVATE patient in the UK ,if he could have got there .Why he went to Bangkok Hospital i do not know ,other than it being the close to where he lives .

>>What a ridiculous statement comparing a 1.5 Mil operation to NHS.<<........Not comparing just giving one mans experiences using Bangkok hospital and the choices he had .He

Probably faced paying 60,000 sterling plus AS PRIVATE patient in the UK ,if he could have got there .Why he went to Bangkok Hospital i do not know ,other than it being the close to where he lives .

I don't want to disagree with a lady who knows everything had a colonoscopy at Ram was 14000 baht ever thing was so perfect I could have driven myself home had one in the States and Ram Hospital was the best experience I had go figure