Ugh! Big cargo of rotten Cambodian rats hits Thailand markets

webfact

They should have boxed them up and sent them to the animals living in Southern Thailand....

Rats are pretty intelligent creatures. Perhaps you should grab a few to eat before the shipment.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

"The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty bags of fertiliser" Shouldn't that be 'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty fertiliser bags'? My Thailish not so good!

Couldn't that mean that the bags where made of fertilizer?

'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty plastic bags which purpose is to contain fertiliser'?

The rats were located inside a truck that was hidden behind empty bags made of unknown material, which alleged purpose was to contain fertilizer , not the truck but the bags....i.e. the purpose of the bags was to contain fertilizer, but at this point in time they were empty.

cheesy.gif

OH MY GOD-------- is this really necessary .I know exactly what was meantcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Great! So now people have to worry that perhaps the meat in their prepared food is not actually pork. Thailand is getting as bad as China.

Would remind one of the "horse meat" scandal of about two years ago in many parts of Europe....amoung well known brand foods???

Bit of a difference between healthy horse meat and diseases rat I would think.

However both are indeed wrong.

I take it you're not French then...?

And as a source of protein there's nothing wrong with rat - although I agree rotting rat is probably not such a good idea.

"As far as the Cambodian "rats" who brought in the diseased rodents, unfortunately they managed to evade punishment and disappear back over the border." - ThaiVisa reporter

Some high quality journalism right there. Post it on your Wordpress blog next time.

Edited by mesterm

I dont give a rats ar.e about Cambodian rats or Thai rats.

I would never eat rat, or even allow my wife to eat the vermin.

How do you know what's being prepared at an eatery...

Wow! thanks for the tip, as i thought that "eatery's" were only found in the USA !

"The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty bags of fertiliser" Shouldn't that be 'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty fertiliser bags'? My Thailish not so good!

You seem to be having a very boring day (life?).

Couldn't that mean that the bags where made of fertilizer?

'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty plastic bags which purpose is to contain fertiliser'?

The rats were located inside a truck that was hidden behind empty bags made of unknown material, which alleged purpose was to contain fertilizer , not the truck but the bags....i.e. the purpose of the bags was to contain fertilizer, but at this point in time they were empty.

cheesy.gif

Please Move this to Pedants' Corner

Good to see the TV "Ugh what savages, eating THAT!" Crew are alive and well.

Mrs Lopchan's family sometimes trap rats out in the paddies and consider them a bit of a delicacy. Big buggers too. Being a rodent, they taste exactly like rabbit which of course would probably be an acceptable food to the "gourmands" of TV who love deriding Thais for their available choice, especially the poorer Thais.

Of course the benevolent critics could always offer to pay for some "real food" for those who can only afford rat or hold a Western epicurean day in their local village (or gogo bar if you don't get out much) to show the locals just how advanced you are in your own epicurean development.

Why do they need Cambodian rats? I've seen big rats in the streets of Bkk, why not eat them?

When I first came to Thailand I was puzzled by the absence of birds, no birds singing in the mornings, after asking turns out local farmers killed them all, nowadays their economy seems better because the birds can be heard singing in the mornings...

maybe they should ring "rat muncher's anonymous"

Cambodian field rats are considered luxury meat among food lovers in these parts of Thailand. Do not compare them with city rats , they taste like the trash they eat .

Good to see the TV "Ugh what savages, eating THAT!" Crew are alive and well.

Mrs Lopchan's family sometimes trap rats out in the paddies and consider them a bit of a delicacy. Big buggers too. Being a rodent, they taste exactly like rabbit which of course would probably be an acceptable food to the "gourmands" of TV who love deriding Thais for their available choice, especially the poorer Thais.

Of course the benevolent critics could always offer to pay for some "real food" for those who can only afford rat or hold a Western epicurean day in their local village (or gogo bar if you don't get out much) to show the locals just how advanced you are in your own epicurean development.

After 7 years, it still totally turns my stomach.

Why Buddha Why?

I dont care what the reasoning is, who the hell eats rats man c'mon?

Ah yes BBQ Rat.

post-157194-0-25860800-1391241003.jpg

i was unwittingly fed rat in nakon sawan but it was diced up like laab moo..... cant say what it tasted like as it was like everything else......incinerated and murdered by chilli.......it didnt kill me tho...

I am lucky that I mostly eat meat choices, that I can identify. When I am travelling I try to eat simple dishes.

This news story may make a few more people become vegetarians. Maybe I will be eating more nuts, like cachews

and peanuts for my protein, when I am in questionable places.

Thanks Cambodia!

Geezer