NCPO grants police powers to military

webfact

I can't believe some posters here actually think this is noting more than a huge shake down of "certain" types.

Look at how the park scandal was "handled" rolleyes.gif

Now for me a huge test will be the South. We all know it is absolutely infested with mafia but is in a military friendly geographical location. If skulls started getting cracked down there is a bit of merit in this.

Pigs will fly before it happens though.

Edited by mrrizzla

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Edited by JAG

Standard Thai Visa responses out in force I see.

We've had Hitler mentioned and comments about how scary it is getting but we are still missing a "so it begins".

I think it's a bit early for you all to start wetting your panties over this.

How long have you guys been predicting the end of freedom here?

Has life changed fundamentally since the coup? Nope. Are you able to still comment about the government here? Absolutely yes

Take a chill pill.

And on the flip side of the coin, there is the standard Thaivisa 'Doesn't affect me, and quite frankly who really gives a crap about what happens to anyone else' response above.

I dunno, all these pinko poofters bleating on about warrants, charges and evidence. What is the matter with these clowns, eh? Probably closet ISIS if you ask me...

Edited by baboon

Here we go...you couldn't make it up..again !! ...the military giving the military the power to do what they want without warrants..

Looking forward to hear what Human rights organizations have to say about this 'Democratic' decision .

You mean the Human rights organizations who give themselves huge salaries from the gifts of civilians? And they use students to collect the gifts who get a bonus (percentage) of it?

I can't be bothered what they think!

The Police doesn't do their job so it ain't strange that now the Army is ordered to do it.

After all Thailand became what it is dued by the lack of (real) Police.

Yes and no.

The police generally don't do their job, agreed, and a lot of Thailand's issues would be sorted by a reformed, properly functioning police force, that's for sure - but, the RTP and the RTA are generally regarded as competing mafia-like organisations with competing allegiances.

If, and that's a huge 'if', Prayuth is doing this in order to root out the criminals, then great carry on, but I fear this is just another move in his power grab. He already has assured himself control of the government for pretty much as long as he wants, his minions are on the boards of most, if not all, of Thailand's state-run agencies, he commands the military, and now is sidelining the RTP.

There will inevitably be a massive shift in Thai society, which could occur any day, so the elites need to have the right people in power, and have full control of the country. This is, in many peoples' opinion, the reason for the coup in the first place.

It's becoming an increasingly scarier time to be in Thailand.

Guess you still don't know how it works here. Prayuth didn't assure himself control of the government, the real boss did.

And if there has to be change of power to get things changed here then i'm all for it. We know how good the police is so at least it can't get any worse.

And since the army is in control i didn't see any big protests, occupied roads, bombings, shootings like it was before he came in charge. It was a warzone in BKK.

He ordered the police last week to arrest 6000 criminals, how many do they have in custody today? So it's smart to give the power to another team, lets' see what they can do.

And i haven't heard of big scandals about the army other then a soldier smuggling 6 cartons of cigarettes.

Why is everyone surprised? blink.png

Who's surprised? rolleyes.gif

Those morons who supported Suthep and the PDRC.

They are directly responsible for the mess the country is now in and the dark future the country now faces.

Shame on them

Here we go...you couldn't make it up..again !! ...the military giving the military the power to do what they want without warrants..

Looking forward to hear what Human rights organizations have to say about this 'Democratic' decision .

You mean the Human rights organizations who give themselves huge salaries from the gifts of civilians? And they use students to collect the gifts who get a bonus (percentage) of it?

The Police doesn't do their job so it ain't strange that now the Army is ordered to do it.

"After all Thailand became what it is dued by the lack of (real) Police."

Not correct. Thailand became what it is today due to non-functioning legislative, judicial and executive branches. The police is only a part (albeit a significant part) of the problem. I cannot elaborate on how and why that situation developed without breaking forum rules but can say that kren jai and blind obedience is part of the problem, an obedience so beloved by the junta and reinforced in the school system.

Edited by MZurf

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly influential people in the economy and society."

This is exactly what most people have been demanding for decades.

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

I know I will be barbecued for writing this.

naive and surprising from you I must say

Yes I'm surprised also... The lives of normal policeman and policewoman are compromised daily by....the same police force.... If they upheld the law as a police force should do there wouldn't be most of the problems that there is.. Those same Police are the ones who form the biggest underworld gang and crime bosses in the country. Sadly closely followed by the Army...maybe even behind the Army ! Who knows. How can you expect citizens to uphold the law if the people responsible for enforcing the same law are daily and hourly breaking that same law...Sorry as our American friends would say..it's a clusterf***. Be very sure what we are seeing here is a power battle !! That's it in a nutshell... Edited by Nigeone

I am not fooled by this pretense of rooting out criminals so close to the referendum. The real purpose will soon be seen. Sweeping power to conduct warrantless search, seize assets and detain civilians without charges only has a singular intention of harassment, intimidation and ridding political enemies. Rooting out criminals and aiding the police are just an excuse and the real purpose is more sinister and part of scheme for the military to hold on power.

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

I actually agree with everything you said, Thailand has been in bad need of a cleansing for many years, problem with this is - who will be the targets and who will be left alone, lets not forget that a certain previous PM was resposnible for a crackdown on drugs several years ago, will the end justify the means ? it remains to be seen

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

As you should be chicken little. In order to stamp out corruption, it must be replaced with something. Most Thai officials cannot survive on their wages alone. Giving heavy handed oafs god like powers is just creating government sponsored gangsters. Thinking like this puts the whole country at risk. Thailand needs to create courts that are not swayed be politics.

New Elliot Ness springs to mind

What will the junta appointed National Human Rights Commissioner have to say ?

Will he be struck suitably dumb or produce some weird and wonderful justification ?

One of his predecessors during the Thaksin era decided there was nothing wrong with all the deaths of supposed drug dealers as they were only part of the ' war on drugs '.

I suppose if a commissioner has to protect human rights it's best to start with his / her own !

This year the UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights downgraded Thailand’s National Human Rights Commission from “A” to “B” given the politicization and partisanship shown by the NHRC. It was faulted for its selection process for commissioners, for its lack of quasi-judicial independence, and for its inability to monitor and investigate human rights violations in a timely, dignified manner.

“B” status institutions may participate as observers in the international and regional work and meetings of the national human rights institutions. They cannot vote or hold office with the Bureau or its sub-committees. They are not given NHRIs badges, nor may they take the floor under agenda items and submit documentation to the Human Rights Council.

In effect, the TNHRC was judged not impartial or effective enough to submit reports on human rights in Thailand to the UN Human Rights Council. Thailand is now in the same grade as Myanmar, and a full grade below the national human rights institutions of Malaysia, the Philippines, and Indonesia.

Now that Thai police have military authority under Article 44, TNHRC may become completely disenfranchised by the UN.

Are you trying to pretend that army/police bosses and crime bosses are two separate sets of people? there is a huge overlap between the two.

I'm a fan of Prayuth. I'm not a fan of the BIB. The only time the BIB do their jobs is if they can get paid. A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move.

Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous. He's trying to clean the cesspool.

Yes and no.

The police generally don't do their job, agreed, and a lot of Thailand's issues would be sorted by a reformed, properly functioning police force, that's for sure - but, the RTP and the RTA are generally regarded as competing mafia-like organisations with competing allegiances.

If, and that's a huge 'if', Prayuth is doing this in order to root out the criminals, then great carry on, but I fear this is just another move in his power grab. He already has assured himself control of the government for pretty much as long as he wants, his minions are on the boards of most, if not all, of Thailand's state-run agencies, he commands the military, and now is sidelining the RTP.

There will inevitably be a massive shift in Thai society, which could occur any day, so the elites need to have the right people in power, and have full control of the country. This is, in many peoples' opinion, the reason for the coup in the first place.

Guess you still don't know how it works here. Prayuth didn't assure himself control of the government, the real boss did.

And if there has to be change of power to get things changed here then i'm all for it. We know how good the police is so at least it can't get any worse.

And since the army is in control i didn't see any big protests, occupied roads, bombings, shootings like it was before he came in charge. It was a warzone in BKK.

He ordered the police last week to arrest 6000 criminals, how many do they have in custody today? So it's smart to give the power to another team, lets' see what they can do.

And i haven't heard of big scandals about the army other then a soldier smuggling 6 cartons of cigarettes.

The microphone scandal, very recent park scandal and some generals fleeing after being implicated in human trafficking passed you by then eh?

I have to jive some thought as to how much of this stuff will be considered "legal and proper governance" when the time comes for a democratically elected and constitutionally correct government comes to power. Granting himself immunity from prosecution could well be at the top of the list, the circumstances that control was taken could be a close second. It's becoming blatantly obvious that their will not be a constitutional election anytime soon.

Iv heard so many bad things about a certain family's involvement in politics and not much of it is good. However, with the benefit of hindsight, they now seem like angels by comparison. Affordable healthcare and minimum wages come to mind quickly. Remembering that in a democratic system it's the majority that win the election, good or bad, everyone has to accept the result. To get the people's vote more than once is not to be belittled, it's a rare achievement. Vote buying comes to mind ... do some believe that only one party tries to buy votes... I can assure you, that is not the case. One thing is for sure, this gentleman does not have the support of the majority in the area that I live, elsewhere, perhaps. An election will tell its own story.

Not quite sure what to write.

Sure, it's scary for the military to have sweeping power over civilians, with no oversight or accountability. But that was absolutely the same for the police...

Using this scenario as a tool to hold on to power, maybe...but what's the point? This is a junta, they can do as they want from the moment they took over the government, and rewrite any laws at any time to legitimize their actions as they seem fit.

I'm surprised that it is surprising. I've been flame-grilled on this site for being a Junta Fangirl for several years, just for basically recognising that action must be taken to prevent macro corruption on all levels of society, and for not wanting to see more crime-related misery in the lives of normal honest working people.

The other point about army being used to break-up organised crime and corrupted positions in society, is two main points.

One, local police have to live in the same community, and they may be working under positions that have been compromised. So it may be hard to even engage in operations against influential local villains, if those villains have compromised certain positions in the force. On this same point, police in the area should rightly fear repercussions against themselves or their families, if they are identified as being involved in busting corrupt underworld figures, who have tentacles everywhere.

Secondly, and connected to the first point, is that army can be drafted in from other regions, they remain anonymous to the local crooks who may have compromised positions in the local force. Police can not really be moved from other regions, as that would leave their home regions vulnerable to higher crime rates. But a national army is by its nature national and can be relocated for purposes of anonymity, in situations where corruption and intimidation has spread deeply into a local community.

There is no actual way to convey the damage that corruption and crime does to a nation, how it saps the wealth from the nation, or the fear that normal working people have to live in, when there are compromised and corrupted authority positions in their community. So you have to weigh those terrible problems, alongside a military component in response to the problems.

Yes and no.

Very selective hearing or totally deaf?

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

Well - my wife is Thai, my kids are Thai, my employees are Thai, my Maid is Thai, I have lots of Thai relatives.

None of these people have been negatively impacted by the coup. I know that because we are allowed to discuss it openly without fear. And so we do.

The only observable impact is that we no longer have to worry about street protests. Having been caught in Silom when shooting started and having the army come and grab me to get me to shelter, I am happy for that.

I've discussed this with many of the Thais I know, with very few exceptions (the girl that cuts my hair), people feel much safer now but there is a general sentiment of disappointment about the lack of action since the coup.

So you can comment I an naive, foolish and contemptuous if you like. Carry on saying it's like Nazi German here, that there are no freedoms ya de ya de ya. What I am is informed. You guys banging the "fear" and "nazi" drum are out of touch with reality.

Life hasn't changed here.

The microphone scandal, very recent park scandal and some generals fleeing after being implicated in human trafficking passed you by then eh?

Yes, some very selective hearing going on there!

The human trafficking, the extra-judicial killings, the extraordinary unexplained wealth, the decades-old issue of procurement scandals including the blimp, the Chinese fighter jets and armored personnel carriers, the GT-200, the park, the clocks, the microphones and curtains, the list goes on and on...

People need to start using a VPN and start doing some reading, rather than listening to Prayuth and accepting the "trust us, we're Thai" lies...

I'm surprised that it is surprising. I've been flame-grilled on this site for being a Junta Fangirl for several years, just for basically recognising that action must be taken to prevent macro corruption on all levels of society, and for not wanting to see more crime-related misery in the lives of normal honest working people.

The other point about army being used to break-up organised crime and corrupted positions in society, is two main points.

One, local police have to live in the same community, and they may be working under positions that have been compromised. So it may be hard to even engage in operations against influential local villains, if those villains have compromised certain positions in the force. On this same point, police in the area should rightly fear repercussions against themselves or their families, if they are identified as being involved in busting corrupt underworld figures, who have tentacles everywhere.

Secondly, and connected to the first point, is that army can be drafted in from other regions, they remain anonymous to the local crooks who may have compromised positions in the local force. Police can not really be moved from other regions, as that would leave their home regions vulnerable to higher crime rates. But a national army is by its nature national and can be relocated for purposes of anonymity, in situations where corruption and intimidation has spread deeply into a local community.

There is no actual way to convey the damage that corruption and crime does to a nation, how it saps the wealth from the nation, or the fear that normal working people have to live in, when there are compromised and corrupted authority positions in their community. So you have to weigh those terrible problems, alongside a military component in response to the problems.

The Police also work nationwide. I know one policeman who regularly works at the other side of the country, for a week or months in row.

As you should be chicken little. In order to stamp out corruption, it must be replaced with something. Most Thai officials cannot survive on their wages alone. Giving heavy handed oafs god like powers is just creating government sponsored gangsters. Thinking like this puts the whole country at risk. Thailand needs to create courts that are not swayed be politics.

I eagerly await your complete manifesto for reforming a system with macro-corruption on all tiers.

"Needs to create courts that are not swayed" is of course essential in all nations, but is not in itself a solution to the current situation at ground level here.

On the wages, we agree. And the hope would be that once a nation stops losing so much money to corruption, it will benefit everyone financially long-term. Not least because a tourist nation such as Thailand, will see a huge increase in middle-class big-spending family-tourism, if that nation eradicates corruption and crime.

"In order to stamp out corruption, it must be replaced with something." Yes, it must be replaced with "no corruption." By using force to break-up organised crime and compromised authority figures.

And how is making one of the principal corrupting forces responsible for "law and order" without any checks or balances going to help?

The Police also work nationwide. I know one policeman who regularly works at the other side of the country, for a week or months in row.

My point, which you deftly side-stepped, was that army units from another region, would most likely not be known to the crooks who have a corrupt stranglehold in a different region. Local police in that region would be very much on display, troops from another region would not. Was my point.

Edited by Yunla