Govt to determine whether Pheu Thai's call for rejection of charter draft is illegal or not

webfact

Government to determine whether Pheu Thai's call for rejection of charter draft is illegal or not

381_charter-draft-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngarm is considering whether the Pheu Thai party’s planned campaign to urge voters to reject the Constitution Drafting Committee’s charter draft is against the law or not.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan who is in charge of security affairs admitted Wednesday that he didn’t know whether the planned campaign is illegal or not but he had instructed Dr Wisanu to find it out.

However, he said he was not concerned with the planned campaign because both the supporters and opponents of the charter draft would have to cast the ballots anyway. He suggested that the voters might vote differently from the politicians.

The deputy prime minister went on saying that the National Council for Peace and Order had put in place a training course for government’s critics who were invited for “attitude adjustment”.

The duration of the training course has been set as 30 day maximum or it can last just one hour depending on the trainees whether he/she understand the course or not, said Gen Prawit, adding that only those who are critical of the government or the junta will be sent for attitude adjustment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157527

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-31

Don't the PTP understand that as long as they keep undermining each charter that it just keeps P adding more time to his forced rule? The sooner they can have elections and get him out then the sooner the PTP can try to regain control again. Laws in Thailand never seem to last very long anyway so even if they make a law preventing the PTP from having the majority it will change with each administration that takes over.

As for this adjustment camp... Seems to me like they are making it more like an incarceration that an attitude adjustment. All be it, a well treated camp for now. I wonder if they keep getting ex politicians go against them if I won't keep increasing its adjustment until..... I fear to suggest more

Second time round guy's and if any one say's anything we don't like time then it's off with them, who do they think they are? they can't say what they want,,, Don't they know who I am? "Attitude adjustment for all of em..........

So what would you have the PTP and the Dems who also don't like the draft do? just pass it and have elections regardless of the consequence's?

Are you not a wear that in the draft the military have placed them selves above any elected government and can over rule an elected government there for hobbling anything and or policy at their whim? would you accept that in your home country? I don't bloody think so mate... So why should the Thai's?

As for the now extended "Attitude adjustment" times held in army camps up to 30 days against their will, I wonder how that will play out in the future?

I wonder how Amnesty international think about it? or Human rights watch? or any free thinking person??? But as per there will be some that think it's ok to trample on others to get their way.

PTP? Their last political move was in Parliament trying to ram through some Amnesty bill...

Yes, and the tax payers were permitted to protest their displeasure, so the bill was not able to be passed.

The strengths of democracy shined through on that day.

Edited by greenchair

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngarm is considering whether the Pheu Thai party’s planned campaign to urge voters to reject the Constitution Drafting Committee’s charter draft is against the law or not.

What law?

"Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime."

Lavrentiy Beria, head of Joseph Stalin’s secret police

There are probably a couple dozen criminal codes on the books, and more being passed by the NLA daily, which can be used including computer crimes, sedition, illegal use of a red solo cup.

PTP? Their last political move was in Parliament trying to ram through some Amnesty bill...

And the elected government failed spectacularly, while the junta that took power succeeded without a hitch. Did you get that part?

This is just another step to have the PTP banned in time for the next elections, leaving the pro-military Democrats as the majority party.

And even they see where this train is headed.

Yes, and the tax payers were permitted to protest their displeasure, so the bill was not able to be passed.

That's a rather selective way of describing those events, or as Ms. Yingluck said at the time "please go home".

Still with the Dept. PM wondering it may be a good opportunity to clarify some more in the draft constitution.

I actually thought their last political act was to call a general election !!!

Cannot recall any political party has the power to dissolve Parliament...

Edited by trogers

"The duration of the training course has been set as 30 day maximum or it can last just one hour depending on the trainees whether he/she understand the course or not, said Gen Prawit, adding that only those who are critical of the government or the junta will be sent for attitude adjustment."

Well, that pretty much sums it up in nutshell. Dissent and discourse will not be tolerated for the foreseeable future.

Any so-called elected govt will come from a select group of hand-picked candidates that are guaranteed to support the agenda(s) of the powers behind the scenes that hold no public office and are far from public view or scrutiny.

While elections will make great window dressing, it will be a deMOCKracy. A faux representaive govt that is simply a showpiece to keep up appearances.

What law?

Ah, that's the beauty of a junta government with absolute power and sway over the courts. They will think of something and pull that something out of thin air.

Political parties should stay out of the argument ; leave it to the referendum voters .

It is clear that neither the Democrats nor the PTP will like this charter .

This is an effort by the military junta to be seen to try to return Thailand to Democratic rule .

I think the majority of people will know which way to vote , without being coerced by their political party .

The military junta is being pressed by the US and other countries to return Thailand to Democratic rule ;

but the military have more business to sort out and are not yet ready for Democracy in its true sense .

Political parties should stay out of the argument ; leave it to the referendum voters .

It is clear that neither the Democrats nor the PTP will like this charter .

This is an effort by the military junta to be seen to try to return Thailand to Democratic rule .

I think the majority of people will know which way to vote , without being coerced by their political party .

The military junta is being pressed by the US and other countries to return Thailand to Democratic rule ;

but the military have more business to sort out and are not yet ready for Democracy in its true sense .

If all groups "stay out of it" there can I suppose be no objection to what you propose.However I can see certain major advantages in there being a free debate before the referendum and I don't see why political parties shouldn't have a major role here.The government of course should also be free to express its views.Such a debate would give some legitimacy to the referendum outcome.Lack of it would have the reverse effect.

But of course there is going to be no such open debate and indeed opposing views have already been threatened and intimidated.And one khaki wearing group in particular has no intention of "staying out of it."

I wholeheartedly support PT in this, the charter is highly undemocratic and will push Thailand back a few decades. I fail to see how campaigning to reject this charter could be against the law. But then again if you are able to write your own laws without any check and balances, like the junta did, everything is possible..

That's a rather selective way of describing those events, or as Ms. Yingluck said at the time "please go home".

Still with the Dept. PM wondering it may be a good opportunity to clarify some more in the draft constitution.

Politicians from both sides of Thailand's political divide and human rights groups have opposed the draft, which includes clauses for a 250-member, fully appointed Senate that would be hand-picked by the junta, with six seats reserved for senior military officers and the national police chief.

The charter, which was posted on the drafting commission's website Tuesday, also includes a vaguely worded provision that critics say could allow the prime minister to be appointed rather than elected.

http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2016/03/29/thailands-new-draft-charter-makes-auspiciously-timed-debut-n2140278

I actually thought their last political act was to call a general election !!!

Cannot recall any political party has the power to dissolve Parliament...

But the junta has the power to unilaterally abolish it.....

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan who is in charge of security affairs admitted Wednesday that he didn’t know whether the planned campaign is illegal or not but he had instructed Dr Wisanu to find it out.

The self-appointed "DPM" already knows the answer... Because the junta decides what the answer is... asking Wisanu to "find out" is just a charade... coffee1.gif

Edited by tbthailand

Someone has started to clarify it. Here's an interesting article:

"Article 54 cuts mandatory funding for the last three years of secondary education (Mathayom 4-6), meaning children would only be guaranteed schooling to about age 15. To complete high school, families would have to pay. While the state would still subsidize 12 years of education, they would begin earlier with three years of kindergarten." http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459496361&section=11&typecate=06

Forcing parents to pay for the last three years of secondary school, or have their children stuck with the menial jobs available to those without a secondary education. I can't decide if this was put in to ensure the draft isn't approved, put in because the junta is that out of touch with the Thai people, or put in because the junta intends to make sure the draft is approved regardless of what people think of it.

I recall that you're a fan of educating the Thai people, what do you think of this article?

Other interesting articles, from the same source:

"Article 30 states that civilians can be forcibly conscripted as laborers not only in times of war but anytime an emergency decree or martial law is in effect."

"Free expression is guaranteed in Article 34, unless it needs to be suspended to “maintain peace and order.” We don’t know what laws could be passed in the name of maintaining peace and order, thus leaving a clear loophole. Same for the right to peaceful of assembly guaranteed under Article 44, which can likewise be revoked in the name of state security."

"Unity, peace and order are prioritized by Article 50 as “duties” of Thais. Article 50.6 states vaguely without any legal precision that Thais should not cause division or hate in society and should not support any form of graft and corruption."

Edited by heybruce

Well put it this way.

For hundreds of years, if you look into the history of Thailand, "peace, unity and order" translated into a group of very powerful individuals (Elite) that had control of everything.

Thai people getting "democratic ideas" is not really good for the system. They are actually right, it does interfere with their notion of "peace, unity and order".

There's just too much money at stake.

It's quite simple, really.

Edited by lkv