Medical Check for New Driver's License

bhatmasterson

I'm going for my new 5 year driver's license but the clinic I've used in the past for the health check is now gone. The doctor basically just asked me how I felt, took my blood pressure and sent me on my way for 200 baht. Anyone know a similar place?

I renewed my five years DL a month or so ago and a medical check wasn't needed. Note -- it was my second 5 year, not the step up from my one-year to the first 5 year. You may wish to pop into the pinned thread above on getting a drivers license and ask the question if a medical certificate is even needed for a five year license anymore.

If it is, you can walk into CM Ram and say you need a medical certificate for a drivers license and they'll have you done and dusted in a few minutes. Basically they just check your blood pressure and have you look at some color blindness charts. Charge is a couple hundred baht. I expect the other private hospitals will get you in-and-out in short order and most store-front medical clinics, also. It's a quick earner for them to produce a slip of paper that you showed up alive at their door.

If you are renewing a 5 year licence, you DO NOT need a medical certficate

Correct when I renewed. I am not sure if there will be at sometime a provision for an age limit without a medical cert,will worry about that later.

Not sure why people go to a hospital and pay between 100 to 200 baht when you can go to a Thai clinic, like our local, and its 3 mins and 50 baht.

Correct when I renewed. I am not sure if there will be at sometime a provision for an age limit without a medical cert,will worry about that later.

Not sure why people go to a hospital and pay between 100 to 200 baht when you can go to a Thai clinic, like our local, and its 3 mins and 50 baht.

Sparkles -- we live a couple hundred meters from CM Ram. Some people take care of business on foot, you know, a live very close to a hospital. CM Ram, McCormick and Rajavej are three that have hundreds of people living within easy walking distance. There are others.

And some appreciate the ability to walk into a hospital during normal business hours and converse in English with the staff, esp. newcomers, rather than trying to figure out when an after hours store-front clinic will be open (the ones in our neighborhood have signs in Thai) and then try to talk with the receptionist (in Thai) about what they need.

It's good we have so many options.

I renewed my five years DL a month or so ago and a medical check wasn't needed. Note -- it was my second 5 year, not the step up from my one-year to the first 5 year. You may wish to pop into the pinned thread above on getting a drivers license and ask the question if a medical certificate is even needed for a five year license anymore.

If it is, you can walk into CM Ram and say you need a medical certificate for a drivers license and they'll have you done and dusted in a few minutes. Basically they just check your blood pressure and have you look at some color blindness charts. Charge is a couple hundred baht. I expect the other private hospitals will get you in-and-out in short order and most store-front medical clinics, also. It's a quick earner for them to produce a slip of paper that you showed up alive at their door.

This is good news. This will be my second 5 year DL. Thanks for the info.

However, I will avoid the hospitals if a check is needed. The first time around I went to McCormick hospital for the check up certificate. Everything was fine until they had me look at the charts of colored dots. I am blue green colorblind so I could not make out the images on most of the cards. The nurse told me I could not operate a motor vehicle in Thailand.

I then went to a clinic on the moat and got a certificate with no problem. Afterwards, at the DMV, I saw they were testing eyesight again. They had a larger version of one of the dot charts. I thought to my self, I'm finished. But then, as I got closer to the front of the line, there was a guy pointing to individual dots and asking people what color they were. It seems they were only concerned that people could see red, yellow & green. This wasn't a problem for me. As long as the colors are separate I can see them fine.

Oh yes you do.

No medical certificate is required for renewing a 5 year licence, although strangely, one is required for moving from a 1/2 year to 5 year for the first time.

Sparkles -- we live a couple hundred meters from CM Ram. Some people take care of business on foot, you know, a live very close to a hospital. CM Ram, McCormick and Rajavej are three that have hundreds of people living within easy walking distance. There are others.

And some appreciate the ability to walk into a hospital during normal business hours and converse in English with the staff, esp. newcomers, rather than trying to figure out when an after hours store-front clinic will be open (the ones in our neighborhood have signs in Thai) and then try to talk with the receptionist (in Thai) about what they need.

It's good we have so many options.

Yes we do have options mine was one of them for the majority of people who live out of town and felt a hospital was their only option.I've never struck a Thai clinic,in 15 years, that didnt almost understand the minute I walked in what I wanted.Had some quite funny experiences when I needed one every year for a work permit in Bangkok.To be told by the Dr you don't have elphantitis of HIV by just looking at you is quite remarkable and well worth the 50 baht.

Oh yes you do.

Oh no You Don't,you most likely got one anyway,they won't tell you it's not needed.

Oh yes you do.

CF... Before I renewed my 5 year licence (I actually got a 6 year one as the old one was passed its expiry date as many others have experienced.) I dropped into the office and asked the girl on reception/enquiries, who seemed very switched on, what I required.She handed me a printed form and purposefully crossed out the "medical certiificate" and added in English " THAT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED".Cant get much clearer than that and she was correct was never asked for but if you want to believe you do go right ahead

CF... Before I renewed my 5 year licence (I actually got a 6 year one as the old one was passed its expiry date as many others have experienced.) I dropped into the office and asked the girl on reception/enquiries, who seemed very switched on, what I required.She handed me a printed form and purposefully crossed out the "medical certiificate" and added in English " THAT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED".Cant get much clearer than that and she was correct was never asked for but if you want to believe you do go right ahead

She's right. No medical certificate is required to renew a 5 year licence. Hopefully that is now established!!

BrewsterBudgen

Did you go today?

Was there many people?

What tests did you do?

I was there today to renew a 5 year licence for car and motorcycle .As stated no Health cert required in my case .Total cost B655 for car and B405 for motorcycle .Test involved calling out color on chart pointed at ,and brake reaction test to red light .(if you take too long you just repeat till your time is within the norm ) .In the 30 people group aprox .i done it with nobody failed .I arrived at 12.30 pm ,and done the test at 1.10 pm .Was finished with everything at 3.40 pm .Got 5 years and 9 months on licence .

Edited by anto

BrewsterBudgen

Did you go today?

Was there many people?

What tests did you do?

I was there today to renew a 5 year licence for car and motorcycle .As stated no Health cert required in my case .Total cost B655 for car and B405 for motorcycle .Test involved calling out color on chart pointed at ,and brake reaction test to red light .(if you take too long you just repeat till your time is within the norm ) .In the 30 people group aprox .i done it with nobody failed .I arrived at 12.30 pm ,and done the test at 1.10 pm .Was finished with everything at 3.40 pm .Got 5 years and 9 months on licence .

So they still just have you say the color they point to. Great! I'm going tomorrow without a med. certificate!

BrewsterBudgen

Did you go today?

Was there many people?

What tests did you do?

So they still just have you say the color they point to. Great! I'm going tomorrow without a med. certificate!

Just to add they put me in room 3 along with another Farang to look at an hour long video on a PC about the rules of the road in your chosen language .(mine being English )

BrewsterBudgen

Did you go today?

Was there many people?

What tests did you do?

Just to add they put me in room 3 along with another Farang to look at an hour long video on a PC about the rules of the road in your chosen language .(mine being English )

And the Thais just text got the hour like me

i went to renew my 5 year driving license only a few weeks ago. No eyes checks or any tests involved, but they insisted I bring a medical certificate. Seems they make the rules as they go along.

You are just a special case.

>>And the Thais just text got the hour like me <<

I tried to concentrate on the video because there was things i did learn which i was not sure of .(like the meaning of a Policemans different hand signals ). I could see a Thai girl through the glass wall in another room who spent the hour video ,either looking at her phone or doing her eye make up .

Can't you read my post,there are 5 of us that must be special then.25 bloody years here and I'm wrong,thanks for the correction.But then I've never lived in Tourist infected areas

No doubt about it, you too are a special case.

By the way, what post are you responding too?