Millions in the bank, not allowed a credit card...any chance?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I am happy with my debit cards smile.png

... until you try and use one to pay for a hotel room in Singapore, or pay for a rental car in Houston.

I would pay with cash as usual :-) and try to pay with a CC in here, you will have to pay 5% more

What is this 5% you talk about ?

... until you try and use one to pay for a hotel room in Singapore, or pay for a rental car in Houston.
I would pay with cash as usual :-) and try to pay with a CC in here, you will have to pay 5% more

Many hotels, and most car rental companies, will not let you check in or rent a car without credit card authorisation.

I've never ever been asked to pay 5% extra when using a cc here in Thailand.

The highest I've ever heard of is 3%. But regardless of which it is it is illegal and strictly against Visa/Mastercard rules for a merchant to try and recoup bank charges from the customer and the operator knows that. Next time call their bluff, tell them you'll pay the 3% extra as long as they give you a separate invoice for that charge, specifying what it is for. If they are stupid enough to do that you can get the charge refunded by Visa/Mastercard and the merchant will get bolloked in the process.

I have to admit that I've never understood why some restaurants and hospitals refuse to accept payment by debit card, only credit card, surely they pay less in commission and get their cash quicker.

I can understand why hotels and car rental companies will not take debit cards, as they may want to dip back into the account to cover extra charges, but not when you are paying for a meal you've already consumed or a medical procedure you've undertaken.

I have never needed a credit card, and especially here in Thailand where you have to pay 5% more if you pay by CC compared with cash + the bank charges fees for the card, too. I really do not understand people who have money and still need a credit card. CIMB desperately wanted to give me one and I politely refused. CC is profitable for the bank, not for the customer.

Try to book your next airline ticket, only to realise how inconvenient it is to sit in front of a computer with just cash in your wallet, contemplating how best to settle payment for a seat on an almost fully booked flight.

Edited by roblam

^^^^ A mate of mine tried to rent a car in the US with just cash, explaining that he didn't have a cc, the response from the car rental person was something along the lines of "if a bank won't trust you with a credit card, why should I hand over the keys to a $20,000 car?".

You can get a "secured" credit card from most any Thai bank...no work permit needed. A secured card is one that has a locked savings account as the card's collateral in case you skip country/don't pay the card balance.

Ex: get a secured credit card of say 100K baht line of credit with an associated locked savings account of 100K baht. You can not access the funds in the locked savings account until you pay in full the card balance and cancel the card.

Is this a "real" visa card or a visa elecron card, which is useless online?

He's on about a proper credit card which is actually secured against funds held in a separate account.

I have a Kasikorn Electron debit via card, and that can be used online.

You can get a "secured" credit card from most any Thai bank...no work permit needed. A secured card is one that has a locked savings account as the card's collateral in case you skip country/don't pay the card balance.

Ex: get a secured credit card of say 100K baht line of credit with an associated locked savings account of 100K baht. You can not access the funds in the locked savings account until you pay in full the card balance and cancel the card.

100% real Visa credit card.

The hotel may take your folding stuff but good luck with the car rental. Even Avis at Suvarnabhumi don't take cash any more.

He's on about a proper credit card which is actually secured against funds held in a separate account.

Are you sure about that? I cannot use my mine online. It doesn't have a name on the card. Also doubles up as an ATM card. I do though have a Kasikorn virtual K-Bank shopping card which is full Visa/MasterCard compliant for online transactions only as there is no physical card.

The hotel may take your folding stuff but good luck with the car rental. Even Avis at Suvarnabhumi don't take cash any more.

The reason car rental companies only take credit cards is that when you rent out a car they make an additional pending charge against any possible damage. When you return it, all being well, they cancel the charge as a charge back transaction. You can't do that with debit cards which is why they don't accept them or cash.

Have large amounts of money in Thai accounts but still seemingly not allowed a credit card because my new work permit is delayed

Has anyone managed to get one?

I'm prepared to move banks if necessary....

CIMB have just given me their Preferred Credit Card and haven't locked any money ... I'm retired ....

Are you sure about that? I cannot use my mine online. It doesn't have a name on the card. Also doubles up as an ATM card. I do though have a Kasikorn virtual K-Bank shopping card which is full Visa/MasterCard compliant for online transactions only as there is no physical card.

Yes, I'm sure about that, have been able to use their debit cards online for years, you register for the facility at a Kasikorn ATM Internet shopping by KDebit

You can also order a Debit Card with your name on it, which is useful when you want to order flight tickets and need to show a card at check-in, you can have your photo on the card if you want, whilst I have my name embossed on my card I've never bothered with the photo option.

1. Immediately: You can obtain card immediately on the application date. The front of the card will be typed “PRIVILEGED MEMBER” instead of cardholder’s name

2. General: For added security, you can stipulate name and attach photo in front of the card as required and can obtain the card within 7-10 business days after applying for the service.

Like you I also have had one of their Shopping Cards for years, but they're no good when you need to present a physical card at airline check in.

Have large amounts of money in Thai accounts but still seemingly not allowed a credit card because my new work permit is delayed

Has anyone managed to get one?

I'm prepared to move banks if necessary....

CIMB have just given me their Preferred Credit Card and haven't locked any money ... I'm retired ....

Perhaps you can tell us how you managed that? I have a CIMB Preferred account and the associated debit card but not their credit card, I also am retired and have over 5 mill. in TD's with them.

EDIT to add: FWIW I don't actually want their card because I'm quite happy with the cards I have, just curious to know how/why etc.

Edited by chiang mai

I applied about 6 months ago and they said NO. Anyway was in there about a month ago I casually mentioned it ... they said ... rules changed now ... I said OK I'll have one ...and now I have.

Yes ...I also have a BB Credit Card ...I'll decide which to use when I find out what/if there is any advantage in using the CIMB one.

Edited by JAS21

I applied about 6 months ago and they said NO. Anyway was in there about a month ago I casually mentioned it ... they said ... rules changed now ... I said OK I'll have one ...and now I have.

Excellent, sounds like a good result.

I also have a Kasikorn Electron debit card, but I can't use it for UBER or buy anything online, air tickets etc.

I never paid much attention to Thai credit cards, I use US no fee/cash back card. This thread sent me to BB card site. Wow, they do have some pretty good promotions running, although didn't go through the details. I might have a look at this myself.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

I don't know if some people have no knowledge or I am lucky enough that i never had to pay more for anything with credit card than with cash.. Actually in about 50 percent i even have cheaper prices and with the "points" i can have discounts for some stuff i buy at Central or Powerbuy for example.

But yes everybody can have their own opinion. But some of the TV member should think if what they write is correct or only their opinion.

I never paid much attention to Thai credit cards, I use US no fee/cash back card. This thread sent me to BB card site. Wow, they do have some pretty good promotions running, although didn't go through the details. I might have a look at this myself.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

"Winners announced:

THE ILLUSIONISTS

Special Prices - Cathay Pacific Air Tickets

AirAsia FINAL CALL!

Check out the list of Bangkok Bank credit cardholders eligible to buy tickets

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Credit%20Card/ccIllusionistsannouncename.pdf"

Oh my! rolleyes.gif

Edited by shagorillaHotel

I don't know if some people have no knowledge or I am lucky enough that i never had to pay more for anything with credit card than with cash.. Actually in about 50 percent i even have cheaper prices and with the "points" i can have discounts for some stuff i buy at Central or Powerbuy for example.

But yes everybody can have their own opinion. But some of the TV member should think if what they write is correct or only their opinion.

Likewise, I have never paid a penny for a credit card and they have saved me piles of cash and convenience benefits over the years

Let me give you this example

I was drinking one night in a small bar in bkk several years ago I ran out of paper cash

I went to the nearest atm with a 2 European cards, first one didn't work and I (stupidly) tried the next one and withdrew 20k or whatever

A few weeks later my card was refused at a hospital AFTER treatment and in shock I made that call to the bank

Both cards used that night were maxed out for a reasonable sum (5 thousand euros from each I think)

The credit card money was returned to my acct the a couple of weeks later in the next statement and the bank ate the loss....

The debit card issuing bank refused to refund (card skimming was not so common then as it is now) and we went to court over the matter

In the end they won by default because I was unable to attend the court case two years later because I was having surgery in thailand.... And the flights back would have eaten the 5000 anyway even when i win ...

I hope this helps some people understand the difference between a credit card and a debit card with a visa/Mastercard logo on it...

They are NOT the same thing....

With debit cards being issued by MasterCard and Visa which allows internet and other payment options, what is the benefit of having a credit card. Credit cards are just that, giving you credit but as you have Millions in the bank what is the advantage

One of the biggest benefits I find of a CC over a debit card is when things don't go as planned or there are mistakes, eg wrong amount taken, double payment, goods or services not as specified, system error for online booking takes your money but doesn't actually get your booking etc.

On a debit card the money has already gone from your account, whereas for a credit card you've a longer period of time to sort things out before you actually pay money out, and can sometimes even freeze amounts. Debit cards can be a nightmare trying to get money back. This can be worsened further for some people in Thailand where there are language barriers, lack of familiarity with procedures etc.

Also places often have discounts for paying by certain credit cards. I've rarely seen this for debit cards. Reward schemes and cash backs are also much more common on CC than debit cards.

Edited by fletchsmile

Agreed. A debit card is nothing more than an electronic chequing account. Once the money has been taken from your account it is gone forever, unless the recipient kindly agrees to refund it to you. Debit cards are for people who can't qualify for a credit card.

Agreed. A debit card is nothing more than an electronic chequing account. Once the money has been taken from your account it is gone forever, unless the recipient kindly agrees to refund it to you. Debit cards are for people who can't qualify for a credit card.

Well, that's a little unfair. Many people have both, but I "get" what you mean, don't think you meant it as a hard and fast, universal rule.

My bank will give me one if I have another account to cover it ,this was after I made such a fuss when they said you could not have a card if you were over 65,but my Thai mother in law who is 79 has one amazing Thailand