Racism and discrimination

Paul Schoenkopf

<removed name>, Chiang Mai

To whom it may concern;

We had been getting drinking water from "<removed name>" for the past 6 years and they became very unreliable. We tried to change to "<removed name>" because there is a restaurant directly across the street from our house who uses them and they deliver every Saturday to them. We called them and they delivered 3 large bottles of water as we requested and we paid them the deposit for each bottle at 80 baht plus the water at 20 baht totaling 300 baht. We showed the driver how to open the gate that is ALWAYS open during the day. We always leave the empty bottle on the front patio with the money under the bottle. The first Saturday we didn't need any as they delivered a few days before. The next Saturday we had one bottle out and they didn't deliver. I spoke to the restaurant across the street and they did deliver to them. The following Saturday I spoke to the owner of the restaurant and she said she would tell the driver that we need water. They didn't deliver to us. I asked the restaurant owner and she said she told the driver and he responded OK but did not deliver. I don't know if it's racism as I'm a farang or because we are a gay couple but this doesn't do well for a country that's looking for tourism and expats spending money in Thailand. It tells me that I'm not wanted.

Yours,

Paul Schoenkopf

<email removed>

Edited by Tywais
Email and name removed

Lighten up, getting drinking water is not a big deal, lots of options. Just do it and forget about being a farang and gay.

Take care of your own sheet, stop bothering the restaurant owner or you will defiantely be "not wanted."

On the macro level, we're not all that welcome here.

Our money is though.

You're just realizing that?

Nobody invited you to move to Thailand, right?

You invited yourself.

The 90 day address reports should be a clue.

On the water level, I tend to think it's a mixture of incompetence and a small order.

As far as racism, well it could be the workers feel a complaint from a foreigner isn't something they would worry about.

Homophobia in this case, I seriously doubt it.

Edited by Jingthing

We leave the crate of empty bottles outside our gate ,with the money hidden under one of the bottles .If you can not do that in your area (we live in a gated community ) at least leave the empty bottle just inside the gate ,and not up the drive by your house .

Paul, can you and Nop not get a water filter installed? It saves all this hassle and obviates the need for storing water bottles. We have had one for years and it only needs an annual filter replacement and a check of the UV light. So much easier.

I have no idea how you could think this has anything to do with racism or homophobia.

Its just bad service.

Call the company and ask what the problem is with they delivery to you.

If they don't improve get another water company.

Get used to this sort of thing here.. its the norm.

From my experiences you will either get fantastic over the top good experiences or services.. or really bad annoying and frustrating experiences.... there seems little in the middle lol.

As usual, I'm confused.

A. Paul has lived here for many years.

B. He's been the sponsor of the CMExpats activity arm 'dining out' group for many years

C. He may have had to simply re-join due to a lost access code?

D. I've never known him to launch any post such as this.

E. Does anybody know if he still posts those wonderful listing of coming cultural events? Concerts at Payap etc.??

F. If this is a survey of some sort, please list me in the clueless category.

As for that suggestion to use the machines, there was a thread that suggested that filters may not be replaced often enough; I may well have had problems with this.

As usual, I'm confused.

B. He's been the sponsor of the CMExpats activity arm 'dining out' group for many years

E. Does anybody know if he still posts those wonderful listing of coming cultural events? Concerts at Payap etc.??

As for that suggestion to use the machines, there was a thread that suggested that filters may not be replaced often enough; I may well have had problems with this.

Interesting.

It does sound like it may have been crafted to trash Mr. Paul.

As it's his first post, uses a real known name, and makes such a ridiculous charge (homophobia) over a water delivery issue.

Edited by Jingthing

I have only one thing to say Paul, think of old fat Jewish women. Love them. OMG. Have a good day. Dave

Suppose there is an inside joke there, but what does that have to do with the price of bottled water?

Sounds like Dave's lost the plot, very strange.

As usual, I'm confused.

Interesting.

It does sound like it may have been crafted to trash Mr. Paul.

As it's his first post, uses a real known name, and makes such a ridiculous charge (homophobia) over a water delivery issue.

I think you're right. Maybe someone is trying to out Paul in the mistaken belief that a significant portion of the readership here cares about his private life.