What was the best job you ever had?

simon43

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best job ever was running my own company for 32 years and then selling it for very big bucks. The first ten years I worked my butt off for way over 40 hours per week, and did so for very little money ... something I'd never do for a boss. But in time I started making lots and lots of money, and did so by treating my employees very well ... like I'd want to be treated .... and by producing products that improved the quality of my customers lives, and the quality of the Earth's environment.

The Best was the Journey to work and not the job itself...

I was Kazakhstan back in 1998, working for some local 'business man' taking advantage of the 'situation'... ... I was 24.

I flew in to Almaty in the spring time, was issued with a 3 day Visa, had issues and arguements with customs and stright away was kicked out the airport at gun point to my awaiting ride...

I had to register with the local Police before flying to Aktyubinsk. Staying over night I explored a little and saw a very very different country and city to anything I was familiar with before. Food was sparse and expensive, beer was cheep and plentiful, vodka was everywhere ! - I had a good night meeting locals, chatting in bars (I call it chatting, but there really was very little common language)...

Hungover, after a flight to Aktyubinsk, I had to register with the local Police again and stay overnight, following which I took a further over night 10 hour train journey to the middle of nowhere. I vaguely remember ending up in another compartment, drunk, singing folk songs with the locals and speaking fluent Russian, or was it Kazakh, I’ve no idea… well, that’s the way I remember it anyway (I don't speak Russian or Kazakh by the way)....

I was met at the end of the line, I stayed in a farmers house for the night, then took a 24 hr jeep journey into the Step bivouacking over night… with a bottle of Vodka, a chunk of bread and a wedge of Salami I remember seeing a night sky like none I’d ever seen… Satellites arced across the sky every minute or so, clusters were so bright no lighting was necessary, colours were faintly visible, the plane of the Milky Way extremely clear...

While driving through the dusty step (Kazakh desert), the driver of the Russian Voss Jeep and I stopped off regularly at various caravans for Tea, we met various bandits and gun runners who weren’t shy to be friendly or tell us what they were doing… it was their way of life and a normal job for them… I took it all in my stride until I was offered someone’s daughter (with a few gold teeth, the rest missing !). Pretty much anyone I met who had a daughter wanted me to see a photo of her, wanted me to meet her such was their desperation to find a better life for them.

I arrived on location 2 days after my Visa had expired… and sent my passport off with US$200… I went straight to bed with stomach cramps and woke up 2 days later with a black smile… someoene had fed me charcoal to help clear up whatever food poisoning I’d contracted along the way.

My passport was returned weeks later with a thankyou letter from someone at Kazakh immigration ! – they’d brought needed printer cartridges with the money I’d sent them for ‘politely’ recognizing the mistake and extending my Visa.

I was on location in the middle of the Kazakh step as a Geologist to the newly established or first private Oil company in Kazakhstan.

I don’t much remember the work, but I remember the experience and value it, especially the travel.

The Return Journey was just as interesting, this time a 24 hour jeep journey through the roadless step to Atyrau on the Aural Sea… While waiting for further police clearance I had a two nights out with my local interpreter drinking thick syrupy Vodka, I remember chatting with plenty of very attractive Anna Kournikova doppelganger’s but being very aware of not upsetting the local lads… I got robbed by a gang of kids with knives on the way back to the hotel so decided to take a taxi who also tried to rob me...

I flew back to Almaty on a very old Prop… the pilots called me into the Cockpit to introduce themselves, a very thick red velvet curtain separated them from the passengers. The cigarette smoke in the cabin was so thick I could hardly see… what could I do?... I joined them in a smoke and chatted... quite a flight !

After a further couple of entertaining and eventful nights in Almaty I took the KLM flight out…

I had to pay a bribe to customs on departure or they’d confiscate my Iomega Zip Disks. When the army,

I remember telling the army; who were at the next check point after customs, that I’d had no issues with customs when they’d asked me if I’d faced any extortion or had to pay any bribes…. The guy before me took the other track thinking the army were on his side against customs graft... he was skinned twice, once by customs and a second time by the army !....

This certainly wasn’t my best job – but it was probably the most interesting and entertaining journey to and from work I’ve ever had…

Other Journey’s to and from work have involved, a Colonel in the Indian Army as a body guard (with submachine gun), others involve elephants blockading the roads for hours, I’ve been trapped in the middle of a hartal in Bangladesh and taken days to reach some of the remotest deep sea locations…. But none had quite such an effect on me travelling through Kazakhstan – I’ll remember that night sky for ever… and doubt I’ll ever travel that remotely again.

The Best was the Journey to work and not the job itself...

I was Kazakhstan back in 1998, working for some local 'business man' taking advantage of the 'situation'... ... I was 24.

Mon ami, if they were the best jobs you had l reckon you should start a "worse job you had" thread....would be excellent reading....thumbsup.gif

Indeed.... In retrospect, perhaps not a story for a 'best jobs' thread... Perhaps narcissistically so, I have very fond memories of that trip to work and back....

My most fun job was while doing A levels... I was a part time life guard and swimming teacher... I was teaching young kids lifesaving classes.... My class was utter chaos... I think I had more fun than the kids....

Edited by richard_smith237

Best job I ever had was a research scientist in the steel industry, with carte blanche to investigate processes. The adrenalin rush from perceiving new relationships between process variables was something which lasted for weeks or months. Impossible now, the industry belongs to the Chinese and Indians.

Worst job I ever had was as a team leader when McKinsey persuaded management they could save the business $120 million. Six months of soul-destroying BS. Even now, if I was introduced to someone who works for McKinsey, I think my first reaction would be to kick them in the balls. Scum in suits.

Best job I ever had was a research scientist in the steel industry, with carte blanche to investigate processes. The adrenalin rush from perceiving new relationships between process variables was something which lasted for weeks or months. Impossible now, the industry belongs to the Chinese and Indians.

Worst job I ever had was as a team leader when McKinsey persuaded management they could save the business $120 million. Six months of soul-destroying BS. Even now, if I was introduced to someone who works for McKinsey, I think my first reaction would be to kick them in the balls. Scum in suits.

nothing gives me more of an adrenaline rush than process variables!

The best job I ever had was working as a contract programmer and being paid per program rather than an hourly rate. Each program was given a value, 3 days, 5 days etc. based on complexity and a day was valued at £125. A simple menu program was given a 3 day value and the first one probably took a day and a half to do. After that, I could knock out other simple menu programs, using the first as a template, at a rate of 2 a day. I could have worked faster but the client started wondering if he was paying me too much per program. I was earning over £1k a week and that was back in the early 80's. I had just returned from my first trip to Thailand and couldn't wait to get back once I'd made some money.

Sounds like you too started early with computers. In 1979 as a contract software engineer in the US, I was making $36/hr for all the hours I wanted. I left that job to go back overseas.

For almost five years during the mid '80's I was on a personal services contract in Saudi as the technical director of an $800M C3I system for the Saudi Navy. The company to which I was contracted was new to global contracts and I was given carte blanche to write my own contract and set up all the operational facilities for our systems and life support amenities for our employees in KSA.

Needless to say, I wrote the requirements and chose the providers of all these services. I also wrote my contract so that I received cash for all salaries, bonuses, cost of living allowances, housing, transportation, airfare, hotels, per diem, and any associated costs for all contract-related expenses. Of course, my family and I traveled no less than business-class, had three weeks off every three months, drove a new Mercedes every year, and lived with my family in spacious accommodations in downtown Riyadh. My work took me all over in-kingdom, the Middle East, Europe and the US.

I left that job in 1988—I think all jobs have two buckets associated, one for money and one for shit; whenever either one gets full, it’s time to leave. I am still living off that money and haven’t had to work full-time since. However, as I said in a reply to BritMan, I never really liked any job I ever had. I would much rather do what I want, when I want, and how I want.

Interesting to see you use the two buckets analogy - the only other time I'd heard it used was back in 1991 when I had recently arrived in Libya to do a one year contract. One of the expats I met had been there for over twenty years and at the time I couldn't see how anyone could have stayed there so long without going crazy. His version was "when the bucket of shit gets heavier than he bucket of money, its time to leave".

My one year contract stretched to two, two to three... and I finally left Libya in 2014 when it became impossible to remain any longer. Had it not been for the rival militias carving up the country I would probably still be working there.

Packing pears in California, 1957. Cement floor, lifting the crates on to rollers, 120 degree weather, no fans, no water, no music.

One dollar an hour. I learned what a dollar was........never forgot it! Best life's lesson.

Your post had me immediately thinking of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row , books I 'studied' in high school. Life was tough.

My first job was in a bank in 60's, paid 3 pounds ten and six a week, now $7.05!! In the late 60's, during my time in the Air Force, I had a part time job unloading bags of stock feed, 50+ kgs a bag, and the pay was $1.00 an hour. I learned what a dollar was also!!!

the best job i ever had was a blow-job unsure.png

How did it taste?

Naam was a professional and a highly successful one. You obviously don't realise how many different jobs he worked on to amass his fortune & therefore due to the variety of clients he's unable to accurately answer your question.

He has however written his memoirs which are available in either paperback or hardcover.

:P

One of the best jobs was as an auxiliary firefighter for 11 years, in the Highlands. Have something back to the community, and there was great craic too.

I didn't think things could actually catch fire back in that dark cold damp miserable hell hole of a country you originated from.

Is there really any need for fire fighters ?

:D

The one I have now. I am Engineering manager for an automotive supplier that is a MNC. I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel throughout Asia for work as well. I really love traveling to new places.

I came out here on a contract and on US wages. My original contract was for one year but it kept getting extended. I was so happy every time it got extended. Unfortunately I only have a few months left and then I have to go back.

I thought you previously mentioned that you were a carpet salesman? Or is that a side line gig?

I've had a career at the best job in the world...come and go as I choose and get paid handsomely for doing next to nothing.

Sweet!

Good for you!

Having said that I always get a bit nervous when professionals in your line of work & similar ones ARNT doing much especially if it means they ARNT keeping on top of their skills afterall let's face it crunch day might roll up for some poor chap and if you're not on your game it might be curtains for him.

How do you pass the hours?

Prior to retirement I liked to be busy everyday, kept me performing at the top of my game and made the time fly, also kept things interesting. ;)

The one I have now. I am Engineering manager for an automotive supplier that is a MNC. I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel throughout Asia for work as well. I really love traveling to new places.

I came out here on a contract and on US wages. My original contract was for one year but it kept getting extended. I was so happy every time it got extended. Unfortunately I only have a few months left and then I have to go back.

I thought you previously mentioned that you were a carpet salesman? Or is that a side line gig?
Nope. Went to school for engineering. I don't know if you are tying to be funny or have just mixed up who you think is who but I really don't understand your posts.

Working on various fishing vessel up and down the western coast of Australia...., no matter what was happening on land, I was never bored from the second I stepped on deck. I did very well during the 80's and 90's ....., a great time to be a fit young bloke driving around the ocean in big, powerful, teched up modern vessels, making pretty good coin...., sure there were lots of c**k ups, equipment failures and very dodgy weather situations - some never made it back to family and friends...., anyway, we always worked it out in the end.., and there was never any problem that could not be sorted with a good old beer 'debriefing' ! I'm now quite grateful now - my life on the ocean has provided me with physical, emotional and financial health - it's set me up in life.
I still love seafood and the ocean, but now choose sustainably sourced seafood..., mind you Thailand and S/E Asia generally is probably a sustainability basket case.
* the west coast fisheries have been(comparatively) very well managed (environmentally) for quite a long time now and that is now reflected in the(comparative) health and sustainability of our portion of the Indian ocean.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I've had a career at the best job in the world...come and go as I choose and get paid handsomely for doing next to nothing.

Sweet!

Good for you!

Having said that I always get a bit nervous when professionals in your line of work & similar ones ARNT doing much especially if it means they ARNT keeping on top of their skills afterall let's face it crunch day might roll up for some poor chap and if you're not on your game it might be curtains for him.

Prior to retirement I liked to be busy everyday, kept me performing at the top of my game and made the time fly, also kept things interesting. ;)

I passed it 100% today and it's nice to know the public are watching however concerned. ;)

Sweet!

Good for you!

I passed it 100% today and it's nice to know the public are watching however concerned. ;)

Good work mate!

On a professional level society wouldn't function well without people such as yourself !

Cheers.

Packing pears in California, 1957. Cement floor, lifting the crates on to rollers, 120 degree weather, no fans, no water, no music.

One dollar an hour. I learned what a dollar was........never forgot it! Best life's lesson.

Your post had me immediately thinking of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row , books I 'studied' in high school. Life was tough.

My first job was in a bank in 60's, paid 3 pounds ten and six a week, now $7.05!! In the late 60's, during my time in the Air Force, I had a part time job unloading bags of stock feed, 50+ kgs a bag, and the pay was $1.00 an hour. I learned what a dollar was also!!!

Indeed, and it was for that very reason that the 1930s Power-Elite, had both the wisdom, and the (coming WWII) "foresight" to placate the working-classes of Americans, with The Social Security Act. whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen