7 Year Overstay Cleared

You should take a picture of the page showing your 7 year over stay. Interested to see it.

Thanks, and good luck, hope you find a job.

Why?

How about this one that is over 17 years that was recently sent to me.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

you should clip part of the electronic id for the passport (not the passport number, but I believe it is a unique number for the electronic id for the epassport stuff) off the top of the picture

Why?

It is reversed and incomplete. I cannot read it.

The partial number at the end is 02035020. I suspect as in Canada the first part is a set of letters and numbers and there would be a limited sequentially issued batches - so based on the passport being new and the last part of the number -- is enough of an ID that one could guess a limited number of possibilities and get the full ID.

you should clip part of the electronic id for the passport (not the passport number, but I believe it is a unique number for the electronic id for the epassport stuff) off the top of the picture

Why?

The partial number at the end is 02035020. I suspect as in Canada the first part is a set of letters and numbers and there would be a limited sequentially issued batches - so based on the passport being new and the last part of the number -- is enough of an ID that one could guess a limited number of possibilities and get the full ID.

What use is knowing someones passport number?

Why?

What use is knowing someones passport number?

Call me paranoid, but I don't like any of my personal identifying numbers in anyones hands other than those that are authorized to have it.

For me it would be enough that it is an identifier for official use only and embossed in the electronic portion of the passport and the front page (though optically distorted)

But then I have a shredder and never leave anything with official ids - all are shredded when finished.

Well done sir, this information may be of help to some poor souls.

Too late for those poor souls...with more than 90 days overstay...

I'm sure there are a few that did not get the word, or were in denial it was ever going to happen..

Then again... I do think - guys like this, with a family to support, or even with no family... That could prove some source of income back in their home country, they would not be banned at all, or for a few months at most..

Just an opinion..

You should take a picture of the page showing your 7 year over stay. Interested to see it.

Why?

This guy sure was not a frequent traveler! Bet they had fun calculating the number of days, bearing in mind allowing for leap years and such. Did they know the rule for determining whether 2000 was a leap year or not? Lucky about the 20,000 baht limit on the fine. With no limit it would have been 3,131,000 baht (payable in cash only).

I have a copy of his transferred entry stamp. Entered visa exempt on 13 December 1998 with admitted until date of 11 January 1999. You can count the days if you want to.

March 14th?? Nothing like waiting until the last few days left before your overstay benefit was about to expire.

Anyway... I do feel your relief that it's all over..

The old boy from our old neighbourhood who we helped clear his 4/5 year OS only left on the 15th March but when I asked at Samut Prakan Immigration Office, they stressed that as long as he left before the 20th March 2016 NOT on or after, he would not face a ban.

He cleared on exit with no problem apart from being made to wait until 30 minutes before boarding commenced on his flight, he is returning next week so I'll let you know what happens to him. He is a tad apprehensive but should be fine. I hope for his sake that he gets back in with no problems and doesn't get into a tight spot again. When I get back in July/August I'll be sitting on him making sure he keeps it all up to date....

Edited by Merylhighground

I am happy for you and your family. There are others out there who are still on overstay most likely because of financial problems. I am hoping the authorities are lenient with these people and do not blacklist them.

• Like 2

I am happy for you and your family. There are others out there who are still on overstay most likely because of financial problems. I am hoping the authorities are lenient with these people and do not blacklist them.

Why?

They made the choice to flout the law.

They deserve anything that comes there way.

Why?

Hey -- they beat the system. They should get a medal.

Did a visa run to activate the last entry on my visa this weekend and there was a guy with just over 20 years overstay on the van with us. He paid the 20K fine, breezed through immigration and came back on a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Did a visa run to activate the last entry on my visa this weekend and there was a guy with just over 20 years overstay on the van with us. He paid the 20K fine, breezed through immigration and came back on a visa exempt entry.

At which border crossing did this occur ?

Why?

Because of the principle of 'the letter of the law, vs the spirit of the law' - bans are intended to prevent working illegally, crime / terrorism etc., not to break up families and punish those who simply fell on hard times.

The spirit of the rule change is to reduce the number of overstayers because the law is outdated and the 20K fine is no longer a sufficient deterrent. That's ALL overstayers regardless of any additional crimes.

• Like 1

There may still be guys out there who figure an 89 day stay for 20K baht and then a few days out of the country is a better deal than the 500K 5-year Elite visa which requires a one-time lump sum payment of 500K instead of 20K payments every 3 months maybe with the occasional tourist visa or exempt entry thrown into the mix.

Edited by JLCrab

right. They should have 2 sets of Immigration laws: One for criminals and one for persons who have fallen on hard times and sufficient provisions in place to determine which is which.

It's called having judges. The framework of laws stays the same, and these people called judges decide whether or not to apply the maximum penalties.

Why?

This guy sure was not a frequent traveler! Bet they had fun calculating the number of days, bearing in mind allowing for leap years and such. Did they know the rule for determining whether 2000 was a leap year or not? Lucky about the 20,000 baht limit on the fine. With no limit it would have been 3,131,000 baht (payable in cash only).

I have a copy of his transferred entry stamp. Entered visa exempt on 13 December 1998 with admitted until date of 11 January 1999. You can count the days if you want to.

If anyone would like to try.....http://www.thaivisa.com/visa-calculator.html

laugh.png

Edited by Boycie

Why?

Because of the principle of 'the letter of the law, vs the spirit of the law' - bans are intended to prevent working illegally, crime / terrorism etc., not to break up families and punish those who simply fell on hard times.

The spirit of the rule change is to reduce the number of overstayers because the law is outdated and the 20K fine is no longer a sufficient deterrent. That's ALL overstayers regardless of any additional crimes.

No you just produced that out of thin air, when in fact straight from the horses mouth, the head of immigration said the new rules were intended to deter 'transnationial criminals, those who work illegally, and those who enter illegally' or words to that effect.

There may still be guys out there who figure an 89 day stay for 20K baht and then a few days out of the country is a better deal than the 500K 5-year Elite visa which requires a one-time lump sum payment of 500K instead of 20K payments every 3 months maybe with the occasional tourist visa or exempt entry thrown into the mix.

Then find an immigration officer that interprets the 90 day overstay as accumulative and finding yourself banned trying to figure out if there is an appeals process (and a costly one at that).....

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

It really is that simple.

Some of us choose to respect the law.

Some choose not to.

It really isn't that simple, judges decide what penalties to apply because circumstances vary.

right. They should have 2 sets of Immigration laws: One for criminals and one for persons who have fallen on hard times and sufficient provisions in place to determine which is which.

It's called having judges. The framework of laws stays the same, and these people called judges decide whether or not to apply the maximum penalties.

So is there a judge at every border point now to decide whether or not the immigration officer can apply a ban?

So is there a judge at every border point now to decide whether or not the immigration officer can apply a ban?

Sure and a group of persons willing to wait in detention of some sort until their case comes before the judge.

But I'm sure if Immigration laws were re-crafted to give consideration to persons who had fallen on hard times there would be blogs and services such as "Hard Times 'R Us" to help overstayers put together sufficient documents to prove that they had indeed fallen on hard times.

Edited by JLCrab

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

It really is that simple.

Some of us choose to respect the law.

Some choose not to.

It really isn't that simple, judges decide what penalties to apply because circumstances vary.

How can a judge, based on the law and recent regulation, stop immigration from applying a ban unless they find the foreigner innocent of overstaying?

• Like 1