Arriving in Bangkok April 15th

MilesOfEarth

Hello! I'll be arriving in Bangkok on April 15th around 11 am. I didn't realize I'd be coming during Songkran. The hotel i'm staying at is on Sukhumvit Road right by the Phra Khanong BTS station. I was originally going to take the airport link to the BTS but now i'm a little worried getting soaked (with all of my clothes and electronics, not to mention I might be a little cranky after flying from the US.) Am I better off taking a taxi from the airport or should I be somewhat safe on the mass transit? Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by MilesOfEarth

I'd think a bigger risk my be another breakdown of the airport link. That seems to be happening a lot.

No advice on the relative wetness, as it'll be my first Songkran, too. But I have made a few recent trips to and from BKK via Uber to one BTS station further down (On Nut) from you. It's fast, efficient, and cheap enough. $15 US for door-to-door in 30 minutes. Or $3 an about an hour. Assuming the airport link doesn't stop mid-route.

Welcome to Bangkok from another escaped desert rat! (18 years in AZ, mostly PHX metro).

You're better off taking a taxi anyway. It's a pretty easy run to phrakanong by road, and an awkward long way round by ARL and BTS.

Just ignore the moaners on here and pick up a taxi at the airport rank. You'll be fine.

Taxi! (or limo).

With a lot of baggage or wanting to sit more comfy you can ask for a "big size" taxi (forgot the correct term).

Bit more expensive.

Use the official dispatcher booth (even if there is a small queue) and let them fix/tell the price.

(or has this changed?)

The good thing: general traffic in Bangkok on such date is supposed to be unusually light.

"VAN taxi"

6377701-more_taxis_Bangkok.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

No problem using the Airport Express and then the BTS. You won't be assaulted at Phayathai station, as you don't even descent to street level but walk straight to the BTS station. And as you say your hotel is right next to Phra Khanong BTS station, there is little danger that you will be assaulted there either, as Phra Khanong is not known as Bangkok's party area #1 and few to no Farang or Thai Songkhran weirdos can be found in this area. You should be fine.

I personally always prefer the Airport Express over an unpleasant Taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi (with usually the driver sobbing that he waited for three hours and then just gets a fare of 250 Baht instead of a much wanted ride to Pattaya or HuaHin)

Edited by siam2007

Of course the rail link and BTS are one of the good things and now as a domestic traveller I would prefer them.

But:

not to mention I might be a little cranky after flying from the US

After a 30h (?) flight I would probably prefer to fall in some taxi chair and be driven.

For me the 11h to 15h flights from Europe were straining enough.

To the OP: do you happen to stay at the "Jasmine Resort Hotel"?

In that case (class) they offer a pickup/transfer service from the airport.

Send an email and ask for price/conditions.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Taxi will be around 290 THB plus around 75 THB for the Expressway tolls. It should be OK, but the taxis in Bangkok are always a bit of a lottery and the driving style may be a bit exhilarating and the drive-line shunt will give you a workout.

AOT car (Isuzu Mu-X) booked at the counter in Arrivals will be around 1,500 THB. But after a long flight the AOT service may be better than the excitement of a Bangkok taxi?

Hotel limo may be a bit more.

Airport Link plus BTS is good when traffic is bad - but as others have said .... during Songkran traffic is light.

You may get wet - but the main water fights are in select areas ..... and this year we are all supposed to be using plant sprayers.biggrin.png

It'll be more like 250 baht. I wouldn't expect them to use a toll road for that route.

Seriously. Just get in a taxi. They're fine. Don't worry about these guys who apparently can't even manage a journey in from the airport without making a drama out of it.

No problem using the Airport Express and then the BTS. You won't be assaulted at Phayathai station, as you don't even descent to street level but walk straight to the BTS station. And as you say your hotel is right next to Phra Khanong BTS station, there is little danger that you will be assaulted there either, as Phra Khanong is not known as Bangkok's party area #1 and few to no Farang or Thai Songkhran weirdos can be found in this area. You should be fine.

I personally always prefer the Airport Express over an unpleasant Taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi (with usually the driver sobbing that he waited for three hours and then just gets a fare of 250 Baht instead of a much wanted ride to Pattaya or HuaHin)

VIP BUS

pattaya 190 baht hua hin 269 baht

much more comfortable than taxi. Safer too.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'll echo those saying take a taxi. At that time of year Bangkok is almost deserted and taxi rides are a joyous thing.

No need to mither with billhooks like Uber or Grabtaxi.

Just head to the taxi stand (downstairs at the far right bottom corner of the arrivals hall as you face the outside world) if you will. They might try and quote you a price to your destination (but ignore it and insist on the Meter).

Edited by Merylhighground

I'll echo those saying take a taxi. At that time of year Bangkok is almost deserted and taxi rides are a joyous thing.

No need to mither with billhooks like Uber or Grabtaxi.

Just head to the taxi stand (downstairs at the far right bottom corner of the arrivals hall as you face the outside world) if you will. They might try and quote you a price to your destination (but ignore it and insist on the Meter).

He's going to Bangkok

But don't say meet her

I seriously lol'd at that. Sound advice wink.png

Thank you all for the help, it's definitely appreciated. I think i'll take the majority of recommendations and take a taxi, just for the peace of mind.

I live in Phra Khanong. Your best option is a taxi. No need to take expressway at noon, Rama-9 does fine, fare somewhere around B250. He can also charge B50 airport fee.

You can also take the Airport Rail Link which has been running fine lately. Go 4 stops to Rhamkhamheng station. After exiting the fare gates do not go downstairs to the street. Walk to the left side and down to the overhead walkway that crosses Rhamkhamheng to the NasaVegas Hotel. Cabs are easily flagged down where you get off the escalator. That is the direction you will need to go. When your taxi turns onto Sukhumvit from Sukhumvit 71, it will need to pass the hotel on the right side and go almost to Ekkamai to make a U-turn to get on the correct side. If you only have a light bag or backpack, you can alight at the BTS stop and cross using the station but it is 50 steps up and 50 back down.

Taking the ARL/Taxi will only save you about B150...not really worth it if you have bags. Taxi all the way better by far.

Edited by dddave

Defiantly take a taxi from the taxi stand where you line up and pay an extra 50 baht on top of the meter rate and any tolls (not over 75 baht). The taxi will (or should) drive you right to the front door of hotel where you should stay dry. You could also pay 1000 baht for an AOT limousine (standard car) which have stands in the arrival lounge where you pick up your luggage just before you go out. If you do happen to get splashed play it cool and take it as being blessed and don't lose your cool. You could also water proof your electronics before hand just in case. Welcome to Thailand.

Edited by RBOP

No need to worry .. Its a certainty you will get wet.

Protect your best clothes

Protect your electronics and

Protect your eyes and mouth and nose as the water is not pure water who knows where it came from a friend told about a guy got water in his eyes got an infection and spent weeks in hospital .

VIP BUS

pattaya 190 baht hua hin 269 baht

much more comfortable than taxi. Safer too.

Buses safer than taxis?????!!!!

I'd think a bigger risk my be another breakdown of the airport link. That seems to be happening a lot.

No advice on the relative wetness, as it'll be my first Songkran, too. But I have made a few recent trips to and from BKK via Uber to one BTS station further down (On Nut) from you. It's fast, efficient, and cheap enough. $15 US for door-to-door in 30 minutes. Or $3 an about an hour. Assuming the airport link doesn't stop mid-route.

Welcome to Bangkok from another escaped desert rat! (18 years in AZ, mostly PHX metro).

Isn't it great that you don't have to use Thai baht