New Road - Nimmanhemin extension

baywatch82

As a Nimmanhemin resident, i was looking forward the new road will be opened.

I am talking about the road which is going from Nimman - Suthep intersection towards South direction - Airport, Airport Plaza etc.

So disappointed today while I made 100m on the new road, and turned back by a Soldier. "Can not go".

What's the point of that new road then ?

baywatch - what "disappointed"? you don't understand the Wing 41 rules? you the only one in Chiang Mai who does not understand the need to get a permit??? Jeeze cheesy.gif

Oh well, I knew the old road rules.

They spent billions of baht to renovate this road, it was closed for many months, and re-opened just recently.

It all gave me an impression it will be a normal public road.

baywatch - what "disappointed"? you don't understand the Wing 41 rules? you the only one in Chiang Mai who does not understand the need to get a permit??? Jeeze cheesy.gif

Oh well, I knew the old road rules.

They spent billions of baht to renovate this road, it was closed for many months, and re-opened just recently.

It all gave me an impression it will be a normal public road.

It's not renovated. It's a new road. Wasn't there before. Took down some old shophouses and crap to build it.

You really arrived yesterday right?

New Road Opens to Wing 41

April 5, 2016

CityNews – April 5th, new extension road from Nimmanhaemin to Wing 41 opens today.

Full article here - Chiang Mai CityNews

cn.png

-- Chiang City News April 5, 2016

So it all doesn't make sense.

Article says :

"officially opened this morning in hopes of alleviating the sluggish traffic around the Suthep/Nimman Intersection"

How ? If all traffic without pre-paid sticker is turned back.

Article says :

"officially opened this morning in hopes of alleviating the sluggish traffic around the Suthep/Nimman Intersection"

I find it confusing also as to how it will improve anything. Maybe the old road is for the u-turn traffic. smile.png

The old road was (is) a single lane each way, and during rush hour it can be backed up from the Wing Road exit all the way to Suthep Road, mostly with traffic turning left toward Canal Road, leaving cars turning right stuck in the jam and adding to the congestion- the new road will ease that a bit by giving those heading toward Nimman or making a right turn on Suthep Road another option via the extra lane.

Article says :

I find it confusing also as to how it will improve anything. Maybe the old road is for the u-turn traffic. smile.png

Geez Tywais ... dont you understand Thai logic ... new road creates total confusion but soaks up extra traffic at new intersection, therefore less congestion at the old intersection ... problem solved!

Actually, for those who followed this project from inception many years ago, the original plan was to gain FREE access thru Wing41 and thus complete the ring road. Town hall acquired the old buildings/land to extend Nimman~ .... the military ... well I guess all those 60Bt annual tolls are too lucrative.

New Road Opens to Wing 41

April 5, 2016

CityNews – April 5th, new extension road from Nimmanhaemin to Wing 41 opens today.

Full article here - Chiang Mai CityNews

cn.png

-- Chiang City News April 5, 2016

Article says :

Everyone in Chiang Mai has that sticker. Welcome to Chiang Mai.

And if someone has a car without the sticker (because they bought a new car like two weeks ago) then they will have some connections to get the sticker before the usual November window.

Even Yours Truly.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The old road is still open or Kasem would be in sever problems. They are in a problem now as you can no longer enter the road from the far side of Suthep Rd.

Early days but so far not impressed.

The other year I needed a pass for my new M/C in April. I was allowed to go to the Air force Police officea and apply, they issued a new pass after a week or so.

john

Edited by jonwilly

Article says :

* It's a HUGE improvement. Well done to local decision makers!

* The old road can still be used, HOWEVER:

- Traffic coming FROM the Airport / Wing 41 can no longer make a right turn on to Suthep Road towards Nimman and towards the old town. In this direction you're only allowed to go left.

- Traffic coming from Ton Payom Intersection with the Canal Road can no longer turn right towards the airport. In this direction you have to continue on until you get to the new road for a right turn.

This effectively takes a nasty bottleneck out of that 3 way intersection near Ping Payome. That one caused congestion also at the end of Nimman and the Canal Road intersection.

I'm sure there will still be congestion during rush hour of the Wing 41 entrance/exit and the end of Nimman, but there is now less potential for complete gridlock around that part of Suthep Road and Ton Payom.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There's one issue that will hopefully be worked out eventually- previously, cars turning right onto Suthep from Nimman could use both lanes (with cars planning to turn left toward Wing Road doing it from the left side), and now- as there's a new option to go straight- the left lane from Nimman is straight/left-turn (using the dedicated left turn lane) only, with the right lane being straight/right-turn only. Unfortunately, people are still turning right from the left lane (even though there are new painted arrows showing the new rules), which will result in an accident when they hit someone who is (legally and correctly) going straight from the right lane- this will especially be a big problem for scooters who try to cut in between the lanes and end up being hit.

* It's a HUGE improvement. Well done to local decision makers!

* The old road can still be used, HOWEVER:

- Traffic coming FROM the Airport / Wing 41 can no longer make a right turn on to Suthep Road towards Nimman and towards the old town. In this direction you're only allowed to go left.

- Traffic coming from Ton Payom Intersection with the Canal Road can no longer turn right towards the airport. In this direction you have to continue on until you get to the new road for a right turn.

This effectively takes a nasty bottleneck out of that 3 way intersection near Ping Payome. That one caused congestion also at the end of Nimman and the Canal Road intersection.

I'm sure there will still be congestion during rush hour of the Wing 41 entrance/exit and the end of Nimman, but there is now less potential for complete gridlock around that part of Suthep Road and Ton Payom.

Thanks, that is clearer now. I only use it going to and coming from the university so that works well for me regarding the turn onto and off of Suthep.

There's one issue that will hopefully be worked out eventually- previously, cars turning right onto Suthep from Nimman could use both lanes (with cars planning to turn left toward Wing Road doing it from the left side), and now- as there's a new option to go straight- the left lane from Nimman is straight/left-turn (using the dedicated left turn lane) only, with the right lane being straight/right-turn only. Unfortunately, people are still turning right from the left lane (even though there are new painted arrows showing the new rules), which will result in an accident when they hit someone who is (legally and correctly) going straight from the right lane- this will especially be a big problem for scooters who try to cut in between the lanes and end up being hit.

Thais don't use or understand lanes. Bpor bpen yang...

Surprised that Google Maps actually shows the new road, at least in the late construction phase. Is the old access road off Suthep to it still open or have to use the new one?

attachicon.gifwing 41.JPG

Not sure if this is answered.

Yes the old road can still be used; filters in just before the end; before the checkpoint.