Standing On Thai Money

summerT

Is it true that you can be arrestd for standing on Thai money?

I was told that if the police saw you standing on money they will arrest you.

Have you heard this before??

Its more to do with the Kings head on the notes, rather than standing on money. :o

redrus

Nope - it's no urban legend - anything with His or Her Majesties image is to be treated on par with a Bhuddist image/icon.

While I think it unlikely you'll be nicked by plod, and not withstanding plod's almost certain inability to speak English he will if not making a point of the law, then through personal patriotism, find some verbal way or gesture to communicate to you in no uncertain terms that the image revered.

Likewise, so to will most Thai citizens.

This of course is asuming your error was in "innocense" i.e. you honestly did not realise the significance of what you were doing (though quite how that would or could come about I can't quite picture - unless of course it fell on the floor and you didn't notice it was there).

However SummerT, please take note: A deliberate desecration of any artical with their Majesties image on, could quite likely result in a very different reaction - plod will quite likely nick you on the spot (because it is an arrestable/criminal offense) and a Thai male citizen is likely to express his dissapproval in a somewhat more aggressive manner. A thumping in the bar enviroment is not unheard of.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

The UK was the first country to use postage stamps.

One of the reasons why postage stamps were first opposed was because it would be wrong to lick the back of the queens head?

Is that why Liz likes corgis? .... they can't get higher than the ankles :o

The UK was the first country to use postage stamps.

One of the reasons why postage stamps were first opposed was because it would be wrong to lick the back of the queens head?

Is that why Liz likes corgis? .... they can't get higher than the ankles :D

:o

There was a Nigerian guy who stamped on some money in the Khai San Road police station to show his annoyance. He got 2 years in jail.

You never see a Thai person lick a postage stamp.

I've often wondered about putting Thai money in your wallet and sticking it in your back pocket and then sitting down. Wouldn't that be considered disgraceful? BTW, I'm not someone who puts my wallet in my back pocket.

A few more odd laws in Thailand:

It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.

You must wear a shirt while driving a car.

You must pay a fine of $600 in Thailand if you're caught throwing away chewed bubble gum on the sidewalk.

No one may step of any of the nation's currency.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/thailand/

If you really want to see some stupid laws have a look at US on this site.

A few more odd laws in Thailand:

It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.

You must wear a shirt while driving a car.

You must pay a fine of $600 in Thailand if you're caught throwing away chewed bubble gum on the sidewalk.

No one may step of any of the nation's currency.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/thailand/

If you really want to see some stupid laws have a look at US on this site.

Well if the information on that site is all as accurate as the information about ''dumb laws'' in the UK then I don't think anyone need worry. It seems to be about as reliable as Wikipedia!

I was told that if the police saw you standing on money they will arrest you.

Have you heard this before??

As said already if you do it accidentally or out of cultural unawareness the worst you might get is a bit of verbal but if they thought it deliberate, or meant it offensively, it's a different ball game.

I dropped a ten Baht coin once and went to stop it rolling away using the time honoured method of stamping on it when my friend almost went ballistic. It didn't cut no ice asking would it be better to tread on it or have it roll down a drain, she made it plain that it was considered an insult.

It also was considered, a few years back at least if not still, an insult to the King if you screwed up bank notes to shove them in your pocket, something I am also prone to do when in a hurry.

I've never seen a Thai toss a coin to decide anything except at a football match. Is there something taboo with that, do they use a substitute at the footy, or am I just unobservant?

I've never seen a Thai toss a coin to decide anything except at a football match. Is there something taboo with that, do they use a substitute at the footy, or am I just unobservant?

I've seen Thai people tossing coins on many occasions. Maybe as they are with a foriegner.

I've also heard some say that you shouldn't do it.

I've seen Thai people tossing coins on many occasions. Maybe as they are with a foriegner.

I've also heard some say that you shouldn't do it.

There is a commercial currently running on Thai TV right now about a guy and a girl involved in a coin toss, and in the end the coin falls on the floor! The terms for heads and tails are hua and goy (หัว ก้อย).

Edited by qualtrough

I always bend for money I see on my way, even if it is only a salüng!

Thais who are joking about the Farang grabing a coin out of the dirt get the special performance: Farang cleaning carefully the coin with his fingers and a (mostly) unused, ironed handkerchief and presenting the coin to the audience with my inimitable guandien-face, saying: Rutschak Nai Luang mai?

This makes them shut up immediately :D ; the next thing they can observe is, see me enter my 4 mio ฿ Lexus and rush away :o:D:D I'm lovin' it

Its more to do with the Kings head on the notes, rather than standing on money.

It has a lot to do with the foot. No Thai, royal or otherwise, high society or low, would like someone to put a foot on his picture. It is the foot that renders the act degrading.

---------------

Maestro

I always bend for money I see on my way, even if it is only a salüng!

Thais who are joking about the Farang grabing a coin out of the dirt get the special performance: Farang cleaning carefully the coin with his fingers and a (mostly) unused, ironed handkerchief and presenting the coin to the audience with my inimitable guandien-face, saying: Rutschak Nai Luang mai?

This makes them shut up immediately :D ; the next thing they can observe is, see me enter my 4 mio ฿ Lexus and rush away :o:D:D I'm lovin' it

Thanks, another mystery solved.

Now i know the origin of that Thai rumor thinking of us farang as a bit odd.

Edited by ColPyat

Its more to do with the Kings head on the notes, rather than standing on money.

It has a lot to do with the foot. No Thai, royal or otherwise, high society or low, would like someone to put a foot on his picture. It is the foot that renders the act degrading.

---------------

Maestro

Er, yeah, thats what I said.... :o

If your head was on the note, this thread wouldn't be here....

redrus

If your head was on the note, this thread wouldn't be here....

If I want to be ruthlessly honest I must admit that I don’t think anybody would get arrested if my head were on the note and somebody put his foot on it. So it is indeed a question of whose head, not whose foot, is involved...which brings us back on topic.

---------------

Maestro

Interesting ! I am not a good housekeeper and if the wind comes up, it may blow some money around. I usually just leave it on the floor, and pick it up if I need it. If someone came by, they would find this very offensive?

:o Do you need a maid.... Cos I make a good one..

Interesting ! I am not a good housekeeper and if the wind comes up, it may blow some money around. I usually just leave it on the floor, and pick it up if I need it. If someone came by, they would find this very offensive?

:D Do you need a maid.... Cos I make a good one..

Ah, nice one. Can you make me one too................... :o:D

redrus