UK govt review casts doubt on future of British Embassy in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

UK govt review casts doubt on future of British Embassy in Bangkok

Thaivisa Reporters

post-137452-0-93379300-1460008910_thumb.

Image: Google Streetview

BANGKOK:-- The UK government is considering selling off the iconic Wireless Road site, which is home to the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Earlier this week, The BigChilli, a popular magazine and website for Bangkok expats, first reported the British Embassy was up for sale.

British Ambassador Mark Kent reportedly told The BigChilli: “There is a review due to take place with a decision sometime this year.”

Thaivisa understands that while the future of the embassy is uncertain, claims that it is up for sale are premature.

There is currently no information on how British nationals in Thailand would be affected by any potential sale of the site and no further information on if or where a new embassy may be located.

An petition calling on Phillip Hammond Secretary of State Foreign & Commonwealth Office to ‘Save the British Embassy Bangkok’ has been set up online: https://www.change.org/p/phillip-hammond-secretary-of-state-foreign-commonwealth-office-save-the-british-embassy-bangkok-73e0994e-e6cc-4438-864a-a29f6b1e93ad

Read the BigChilli story in full here

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-07

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should not contemplate a sale. There is so little open space now and this would become just another mall. The money is chicken feed in respect of the debt and it should be retained. The Australians did this in Tokyo and part of the land was an 800 year old garden, now gone.

only thing they are good for is charging you 2600 ? baht for a peice of paper to verify your income, rip off merchants.when you have supplied all the information, and we go on about tea money for the BIB

These single-story sprawling embassies are a waste of real estate anyway. Whatever business is transacted inside could probably be accomplished in a dozen rooms of economy office space.

I have to disagree with that. Having a few offices and forcing whenever you entertain foreign dignitaries to rent a restaurant is rather embarrassing. A good Ambassador will spend a lot of time "shmoozing" (really tiring if you are naturally an introvert) with important local people and building relationships that will in the future lead to business etc. The results are hard to measure, but it does not take much to make it pay off. The large fortress like embassies typically house both the Embassy offices, and the Residence. The offices do the normal stuff, and the residence is usually mostly there for entertaining etc with a small portion off to the side or upstairs for personal space for the Ambassador. Thailand is likely primarily a trade focused post (too developed for "development", and probably not as much a political post). Obviously right now Thailand is stable enough that the compound is not needed for the purposes of security (like in many other locations where staff etc. have to live in the walls since outside would be too dangerous) -- but with Thailand it really could go either way in the future.

It is very short-sighted -- something that Canada is very good at tongue.png

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Happy to oblige!

As most nationalities seem lucky enough to have embassies or consulates in Thailand which actually seem to assist their nationals, I think we have every right to have a moan/whinge at the sheer ineffectiveness of the UK FCO which has now become little more than a bloody expensive notary service and a service for promoting UK government and their cronies' financial interests overseas, plus justifying the odd overseas 'jolly' for 'officials and their pals' on our tax payments.

That said, when we recently used the UK embassy to get an ETD for an acquaintance who wanted to clear his overstay they were quite efficient, but I'd expect that for the rip off fees of almost 5000B...though had they still have been useful and actually still issued full passports, my acquaintance would have been able to get out of his mess a long time ago.....

All in all the only 'review' that is needed is at 'Government level' as to whether the FCO still has a real function to serve or is just an archaic 'jobs for the boys (and their kids)' institution.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

They should not contemplate a sale. There is so little open space now and this would become just another mall. The money is chicken feed in respect of the debt and it should be retained. The Australians did this in Tokyo and part of the land was an 800 year old garden, now gone.

Possibly more to do with security, a more contained site with less vulnerability, maybe a purpose built building would be more secure.

Wonder who leaked the story, probably not public interest but more likely self interest...

I am not normally one to complain... but

The way us British citizens are treated by our own government in Thailand is disgraceful.

I paid my taxes for many years, in fact I still pay some to the UK and I get ZERO in return, the blighters in Embassy forget who pays their bloody wages.

I am not normally one to complain... but

The way us British citizens are treated by our own government in Thailand is disgraceful.

I paid my taxes for many years, in fact I still pay some to the UK and I get ZERO in return, the blighters in Embassy forget who pays their bloody wages.

What is it that you are looking for and not getting ?

Are they moving to new premises on Soi Cowboy? crazy.gif

That would be too accessible. Somewhere like Samut Prakhan seems more likely (though a PO box number might be enough considering almost every service they still provide is only by post). Funnily enough, a few hours before this story broke, I suggested a sale might be a logical next step.

Are they moving to new premises on Soi Cowboy? crazy.gif

That would be too accessible. Somewhere like Samut Prakhan seems more likely (though a PO box number might be enough considering almost every service they still provide is only by post). Funnily enough, a few hours before this story broke, I suggested a sale might be a logical next step.

Heard the vacant land next to the burning dump is available at a give away price, coupled with migrant staff from the UK, there should be budget for another decade.