What do Thais use cream cheese for?

I see cream cheese in every supermarket, but bagels in none. I know there are other things to use cream cheese on besides bagels, but can't think of any that might be popular enough that would justify all markets carrying the stuff.

Cream soups?

Casseroles (mac & cheese)?

Spreads/dips for crackers?

Cheesecake?

Yep all those are great, but don't look like popular menu items for the locals. Also, it's a dairy product and (nominally) a cheese, which are two strikes against it in Thailand. So what's all the cream cheese for?

Edited by attrayant

It's for "farangs", farang restaurants etc. pp. tongue.png

None of the villagers has ever seen or touched (cream) cheese.

And it's indeed only found in the "super"markets.

How many Thai people have you seen buying?

Oh how I would like to buy a proper cheese cake!

Philadelphia is owned by Mondalez, formerly Kraft. They sell a huge variety of crap and chocolates including Oreos.

I presume they just give the cream cheese to Thai supermarkets in some forlorn hope that one day Thais will like it.

I have no idea what any Thais use any cheese for, particularly those slices of plastic in packets that come from Oz. Did you ever see a Thai cook a cheeseburger at home?

Edited by laolover88

Philadelphia is owned by Mondalez, formerly Kraft. They sell a huge variety of crap and chocolates including Oreos.

I presume they just give the cream cheese to Thai supermarkets in some forlorn hope that one day Thais will like it.

I have no idea what any Thais use any cheese for, particularly those slices of plastic in packets that come from Oz. Did you ever see a Thai cook a cheeseburger at home?

I kinda like Phili Cream Cheese, Oreo's ain't bad either

....but now gotta get back to searing my Foie Gras with lightly drizzled truffle oil.

And seriously I do like all of the above, but I certainly don't exclude any food for sorta snobby reasons. If I like it, I like it, and as my good old Mom used to say, anything in moderation is good, so a couple of oreo's and a cream cheese bagel if you enjoy it, why not?

Yeah I think some of you fellas need to get out more or hang out with more modern middle class Thais. My wife and all of her friends eat cheese and enjoy it. Some of them will eat a sweet gorgazola or Stilton but mostly they prefer the milder styles like unripened camembert, brie, mild cheddar, gouda etc.. Cream cheese as a dip for crackers/potato chips or used just as a spread is also a favorite.. Okay I can't see it being consumed up in darkest Isaan. But in BKK, Chonburi and other more affluent areas cheese, cured meat, olives, anchovies and pretty much any snack that can accompany wine or other alcohol is very popular.

It's definitely a class/generational thing and Thai tastes are changing as they travel more and learn from the internet.. Not that long ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese food even with a gun to their head.. But look now. Jap and Korean places are rammed.

Compared to the rest of Asia, Thais consume a lot of dairy products.

Yeah I think some of you fellas need to get out more or hang out with more modern middle class Thais. My wife and all of her friends eat cheese and enjoy it. Some of them will eat a sweet gorgazola or Stilton but mostly they prefer the milder styles like unripened camembert, brie, mild cheddar, gouda etc.. Cream cheese as a dip for crackers/potato chips or used just as a spread is also a favorite.. Okay I can't see it being consumed up in darkest Isaan. But in BKK, Chonburi and other more affluent areas cheese, cured meat, olives, anchovies and pretty much any snack that can accompany wine or other alcohol is very popular.

It's definitely a class/generational thing and Thai tastes are changing as they travel more and learn from the internet.. Not that long ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese food even with a gun to their head.. But look now. Jap and Korean places are rammed.

Compared to the rest of Asia, Thais consume a lot of dairy products.

Cheese is difficult at times fior Thais, even here in deepest darkest Isaan. They tolerate milder cheese, i.e. the pizza variety. Stronger flavors are problomatic, but milder brie, some cheddar they are ok with. My wife is currently all into Haloumi, firm, mild yet still flavorful

Absolutely.

My wife made me a cheeseburger with mushrooms and onions for my dinner tonight. She also made one for our son.

Every single one of my in laws thinks its disgusting. Yes, cheesecakes, la toast Francois and such, good uses. But how many average Thai households bake cheesecake and prepare French toast? Most don't even have ovens. And if it's sitting on the shelf just for us, then why not bagels too?

No, Thais do no like cheese very much , except for the ones hanging around farangs. But if they can get used to McDonalds I guess they can get used to cheese also . Poor Isaan farmers are not on that list.

Edited by balo

I know a number of Thais who just LOVE cheesecakes. I don't think it inconceivable that an occasional one would make cheesecakes, especially as I see cheesecake slices selling very well and being eaten by Thais in coffee shops, even way out in the boonies where i live.

I have also seen Thais buying cream cheese at Tesco's, both the Thai and Philly brands.

Tacos, nachos, baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes, and dip!

We seem to be missing the actual question asked in the OP. I don't doubt that there are many, many good uses for cream cheese. I just can't see that many average Thai households making nachos, tacos, baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes and dip to justify the sizable stacks of two different brands of cream cheese in even the most remote Big C stores. Two days ago my local Big C had about 20 boxes of the blue brand and nearly double that of Philly brand.

Meanwhile they almost never have sour cream. Cream cheese seems to be a big hit with Thais, and I don't think they're sitting down to weekly taco dinners.