Locals Outraged at Tourists Who Camped on Chiang Mai’s Historical Wall

snoop1130

Stealth camping, been there done that, nothing to get too excited about, they probably expected to camp in a bit of greenery, urban nature but the locals already destroyed all that so...on the wall.... hopefully they moved to a guest house or maybe on the "sacred" mountain?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....'stop them'.....like attack them...beat them...kill them...???

...how about informing them....like civil human beings.....

...as for signs...there are none visible in the photo.......

....'outraged'.....because they are such fine examples of humanity themselves......

No one is surprised any more after the all-time low of Chinese tourists taking a dump in the moat awhile back.

Wonder how these Wonderful Chinese Savages would like to have people camp-out and defecate on their Great Wall?

haha haha the great wall foot road and stairs are full of mule poop , seems fat ass western peeps cant handle the stairs , a mule train will go up the steem steps .

Stealth camping, been there done that, nothing to get too excited about, they probably expected to camp in a bit of greenery, urban nature but the locals already destroyed all that so...on the wall.... hopefully they moved to a guest house or maybe on the "sacred" mountain?

the chinese are so very , very cheap ..............................

Thai people "outraged" cheesy.gif

Are these same people "outraged" by the death-toll on the roads with the bus / coach crashes ? Or some 50+ deaths a day of motor-bike riders ?

Wonder how an "outraged" person behaves.

Good point! Thais don't really get outraged until some billionaire gets on a stage and tells them they are outraged. And even then it takes a month or three to get really riled up.

Thai people "outraged" cheesy.gif

Are these same people "outraged" by the death-toll on the roads with the bus / coach crashes ? Or some 50+ deaths a day of motor-bike riders ?

Wonder how an "outraged" person behaves.

lets not forget their lack of outrage at the levels of domestic abuse and corruption, or that they are being ruled by a military dictator. and let us reader not forget that drivel like this is often fabricated or sensationalized just to get us to read it.

At least they don't look western

I don't know, the guy has something of the trustafarian about him.

Well, that won't stop Chiang Mai people from making vicious comments about Westerners because they are among the most racist, bigotted, homophobic, conservative, parochial locals I have met in this country. Give them a reason, any reason, to rant against Westerners and they will go for it with a vengeance.

I always hear people around here talking about 'the Thais' as if they were a homogenous people, but they're not. Not in the least. The differences between Esarn, the North, Bangkok and the South are huge, and the ones that earned Thailand the label 'Land of Smiles' were Esarn people, who are the most numerous and also the poorest.

In the North I have met some nice people of course, but on the whole I'd say that their hatred and contempt for white people is often palpable, and smiles are scarce, especially in Chiangmai.

Well, that won't stop Chiang Mai ThaiVisa people from making vicious comments about Westerners Thai people because they are among the most racist, bigotted, homophobic, conservative, parochial locals expats I have met in this country. Give them a reason, any reason, to rant against Westerners Thais and they will go for it with a vengeance.gigglem.gif

The campsite looks very clean. Definitely foreigners.

If Thais had camped there, the whole area would be covered in plastic bottles, cans, plastic bags, food containers, and maybe a couple of cardboard boxes full of rubbish too, although to collect the rubbish into boxes is normallly way too much effort.

I cannot believe some of the responses that some of the TV people have written. This Wall and the Moat around it is a historical site for Thailand. Where else in the world would local residents condone people camping on one of their historical sites. The Thai people have every right to be upset with these two clowns. This old wall is probably in a fragile condition anyway and to have people walking and camping on it is just plain wrong. There are signs to keep off!

Fresh young people, they will hopefully go far in their lives, breaking the rules sometimes to achieve what you want when it's a great experience and not hurting anyone is the way to live... rock on !

...and off course I expect they would be apologetic and quietly move out when made aware of the emotional travesty they are causing on the fragile Thai people by obscuring a tourist attraction...

No,ignoramus's that only think of themselves and are too cheap to get a room.What if everybody camped up there,what an ugly,rubbish tip it would become.If they are too ignorant to take heed of the signs that the rest of us obey,fine them and deport them.

I have seen other shots of this and they are Chinese.

I hope the Thai police kick them out of the country.

Personally, have come across many Chinese here and vast majority are simply obnoxious.

Probably millionairs.

The toilet is over the wall!

I don't know, the guy has something of the trustafarian about him.

Well, that won't stop Chiang Mai people from making vicious comments about Westerners because they are among the most racist, bigotted, homophobic, conservative, parochial locals I have met in this country. Give them a reason, any reason, to rant against Westerners and they will go for it with a vengeance.

I always hear people around here talking about 'the Thais' as if they were a homogenous people, but they're not. Not in the least. The differences between Esarn, the North, Bangkok and the South are huge, and the ones that earned Thailand the label 'Land of Smiles' were Esarn people, who are the most numerous and also the poorest.

In the North I have met some nice people of course, but on the whole I'd say that their hatred and contempt for white people is often palpable, and smiles are scarce, especially in Chiangmai.

If by Esarn you mean Isaan people - the accepted, official spelling - they come from the North East of Thailand and lots have settled in CM, which is a little further west. CM is full of caring, smiling, welcoming people - I've lived here for nearly 8 years. Your comments are both racist and basically untrue.

I have seen other shots of this and they are Chinese.

I hope the Thai police kick them out of the country.

Personally, have come across many Chinese here and vast majority are simply obnoxious.

Bless those Chinese tourists - they make we Americans seem less obnoxious all the time.

Apparently the man is, he is wearing dreadlocks according to the Chiang Mai news

Yeah, because only westerners have dreadlocks.... I guess you've never seen 'Job 2 do'?

While perhaps a little stupid (although gotta give them credit for having the cajones to pitch a tent there), I don't believe it merits the publicity given let alone half the comments on this thread. Over the years, I've seen a whole lot of Thais climbing that corner (Ku Huang), Thai kids crazily jumping in the moat from Katam corner, etc., etc. Ho hum.

Whether this wall is a "rebuilt" structure on a historical site(for Thailand) seems to be a moot point. You may not like it but there is some need for respect regardless of what some folks used to do back home, etc. If there are warnings at this site to "keep out" or whatever then do it. Why pitch camp up there unless you wanted to be noticed and have your 15 minutes of fame regardless of where you are from?

I am an American who is living in Chiang Mai forever. Their crime is Trespassing. Sentence them to 3 days in a Chiang Mai Thai prison and tell the prisoners what they did OR fine them 50,000 baht, OR banish them from Chiang Mai forever OR All of them..

outraged gigglem.gif It`s just a wall !

It's just a stack of bricks that have been relatively recently built and serves as nothing much more than a tourist attraction. The old wall, Kampandin, on Kampandin Road is pretty well violated by all Thais living in the neighborhood. So much for respect of historical artifacts, hey?

Archived