Dog butcher arrested in North East Thailand

webfact

Dog butcher arrested in North East Thailand
Thaivisa Reporters

dog.jpg
Image: Khaosod

BUENG KAN:- Police and animal welfare officers raided a house in Bueng Kan in the north east of Thailand and arrested a man cutting up and selling dogs for food.

House owner Sawaeng Khamkaew,57, was in the process of disemboweling a dog when he was raided by local police. Another was already cut and prepared nearby.

Officers found two other dogs about 5-6 months old in a breeze block cell ready to have their throats cut before skinning.

Public health officers took a noose and a stove for burning off dog hair into evidence.

Sawaeng admitted that he had been cutting up the pooches for sale for a long time.

Some he bought, others he got from people fed up with their dogs attacking ducks and chickens and wanting rid of them. He said he sold the meat for about 80-100 baht for 500 - 800 grams.

He was charged with a host of offences including ill treatment of animals and public hygiene misdemeanors.

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-08

ohhh please one apprehended canine butcher is a mere minuscule percentage point on the whole dog trade here and certainly does not signify that the junta is barking up the right tree

And there are those who say the junta are dragging this country back to the dark ages. If this disgustingly cruel practice is eliminated from this 'emerging' country, here is just one example of why I strongly disagree.

If the dogs are killed humanly I don't see a problem. Many of us who have lived in sois with roaming packs of dogs have often thought of dispatching them when they keep us awake in the dead of night!

It's not so much just a moral issue as opinions vary.

The problem is health related.

Are you referring to the low quality of meat (which is very likely as most of the dogs will be sick or at least not treated well enough for human consumption) or the fact that the butcher is sitting there in his undies in the dirt?

And there are those who say the junta are dragging this country back to the dark ages. If this disgustingly cruel practice is eliminated from this 'emerging' country, here is just one example of why I strongly disagree.

Yes the Junta are very much dragging the country back years.

The dog meat trade in LOS is big business and has been for many many years and was in operation for every coup/junta in the last 100 years, so sorry no credit for them., now on occasion each government has had some success catching people in the dog trafficking trade but as there is money to be made it will still keep going on.

Also if the junta were so good for the country WHY has it taken 2 years for them to find ONE dog butcher and make a song and dace about it???

I years ago worked in an abattoir where sheep cattle and pigs were slaughtered, the cattle were shot with a bolt gun, the sheep with a knife and the pigs with a hammer, now things have changed in OZ for the better. So is it just dogs being butchered you have a problem with or all animals for meat?

If the dogs are killed humanly I don't see a problem. Many of us who have lived in sois with roaming packs of dogs have often thought of dispatching them when they keep us awake in the dead of night!

It may well be why there are so many rage, gun crimes ect after eating rabbie infested mange dog.

This is disgusting but again a practice in China for years.

The dog problem needs to be controlled-- as does traffic and guns, drugs, corruption ect ect.

Once the enlightend ones wake up and realise that money is to be made from registering dogs and testing them for disease, they might then figure out how much is to be made for enforcing traffic rules.

Have they made eating dogs illegal then? It's a pretty common thing up in our area. Were they going to tell the hill tribes that it is illegal then? I must have missed the notice.

They kill every creature that can be caught, why a penalty for dogs only? Dogs are about the only animal here that needs to be reduced in population, well rats too.

Heard about Thai dogs being rounded up and sent North. Buang Kan borders Laos.

Friend of mine had 3 friendly soi dogs adopt the space right outside his drive gate. Gone now, somebody came and rounded them up.

Killing Humanly?

From what I know, humans kill each other with bombs, napalm, guns, knifes, torture ....

Humans are actually pretty cruel when they kill each other. So why should animals suffer

the same faith?

If I would be an animal, I rather be killed in a fast, painless way but for sure, not humanly.

yet its fine to throw them rice and any cack and let them wander the streets full of every parasite and disease going, then theres the accident rate of motorbikes hitting them and cars swerving round them...........id say he was doing Thailand a BIG favour..............Im sure thatll go down welltongue.png

Have they made eating dogs illegal then? It's a pretty common thing up in our area. Were they going to tell the hill tribes that it is illegal then? I must have missed the notice.

They kill every creature that can be caught, why a penalty for dogs only? Dogs are about the only animal here that needs to be reduced in population, well rats too.

Becuz the mighty one loves them.

Some disgusting remarks here. How would you like to be fed diseased dirty dog meat in your curry ? Is eating dog illegal in Thailand ? If it isn't, then ban it completely, please. Soi dogs are a completely different problem which could also be solved with some help from authorities and public.