How to keep dogs off my lawn?

mcm991

You will resort to more definite solutions - trust me.

Get the municipality dog catcher or put up signs in Thai that you pay THB 500 per stray canine caught on YOUR premises.

You won't have to do anything but the neighbours will get the message. Might cool of inter-neighbourly relations down though but I guess that is not an issue (anymore) wai2.gifwai2.gif

municipality dog catcher? Thailand has such?

I use a small electric fence unit. Animals that walk on 4 feet or two that make the mistake of intruding or urinating on the boundary wall only do it once !wink.png

Strange rolleyes.gif .... a dog and humans make similar sounds on specific occasions .

I have heard this works, but not tried it due to never having had a lawn. Full bottles of water, scattered around. Not sure why this works but I read it somewhere.

old wives tale.. ? most of my dogs if you put a plastic bottle anywhere they will make a b-line to it/them to have a wee on it/them.

We use the bottles of water to stop the dogs shitting outside our house and it works. Something to do with shadows and reflections that scares them away.

Throw something they can chew, like the fake bones from the pet shop. The ones that last forever. Does not cost much. They will love you for that too!

A pet shop in Thailand?? I have seen places selling dogs, rabbits, fish etc, but not an actual pet shop like in the UK.

Over 11,000 posts and you have never seen a pet shop here. They may not be exactly like the Uk but you are in Thailand. Dog toys easy to but here.

Throw something they can chew, like the fake bones from the pet shop. The ones that last forever. Does not cost much. They will love you for that too!

A pet shop in Thailand?? I have seen places selling dogs, rabbits, fish etc, but not an actual pet shop like in the UK.

Over 11,000 posts and you have never seen a pet shop here. They may not be exactly like the Uk but you are in Thailand. Dog toys easy to but here.

I am well aware of what country I'm in thank you, I buy things for my dogs in Tesco Lotus and Big C. But I say again, I have never seen a pet shop here selling birds, hamsters, rats, fish etc, like in the UK.

I've removed another post advocating violence. Will remind members that doing so is now illegal and as such comments suggesting violence is against forum rules. Also a post commenting on moderation removed.

On Wednesday, November 12 2015 Thailand’s first legislation to impose punishment on people who neglect, torture or fail to adequately take care of animals was passed by the National Legislative Assembly.

The new laws came into effect on 27 December 2014 and define cruelty as any action which causes an animal to suffer physical or mental torture, pain, illness, disablement or death, including using a disabled, ill, aged, or pregnant animal for labour or show work, and prohibits such actions. Animals covered are domestic pets, and animals kept for food, work or entertainment purposes.

The goals of the new laws are to make animal owners more conscientious of their responsibilities to provide proper care for their animals. The legislation seeks to impose harsh punishments on animal rights violators, with a 2 year jail term, and fine of up to Bt40,000, or both.

http://www.aaacoth.com/2015/legal-news/thailand-passes-new-animal-rights-legislation/

I am well aware of what country I'm in thank you, I buy things for my dogs in Tesco Lotus and Big C. But I say again, I have never seen a pet shop here selling birds, hamsters, rats, fish etc, like in the UK.

One section of Kamtien market has shops selling pets and supplies .Also a pet market near Airport Plaza .

Has anyone mentioned cementing in where your lawn is yet.....?

No dogs - or mowing.....

Both plusses in my book.....

Yeh the cement will soak up a lot of heat in the day and keep you warm at night. Oh....

I used the boiled black pepper in the shady spot (no grass) that the cats used for a toilet. I used about a half kilo and they never came back (2 years +).

The dogs did not respond to black pepper, but the cheap white vinegar works wonders, it just doesn't last as long and you have to do it after every rain. I get it by the gallon at Makro for around 50 baht, always keep a jug or two.

I also installed CCTV so I can shame the owners in the villa when they don't clean up after their dogs. It is mostly European owned houses so no problem communicating with them

I have heard this works, but not tried it due to never having had a lawn. Full bottles of water, scattered around. Not sure why this works but I read it somewhere.

This is to stop the dogs crapping, basically you need a lot of bottles , people use in front of the house not on lawns for obvious reasons, try spraying the dogs with say an old washing up liquid plastic bottle with a mixture of two thirds vinegar one third water, they will give you a wide birth after a soaking.

Try placing bottles of water at the edge about every three feet . I ve seem it done in our moo baan might work

A bit of voodoo perhaps. Get a dog puppet and a box of toothpicks. May be great fun :)...

Black magic works in this country! Later you use the number of toothpicks to buy a lottery ticket!

He wants to encourage dogs to stay away, not come back because the owner has treats every time. Totally wrong advice.

Chili, vinegar, pepper and ammonia has been tried and it does exactly nothing to stop dogs from doing what they want to do. Generally speaking, what happens is that the street dogs will move on anyway unless there is someone setting out food or something that they can adopt into their routine.

Because you can't know all the variables, just saying that you put out pepper or something and they didn't come back tells you little. It might have been the pepper or it might have been a dozen other things you were not aware of.

I have had no luck with any of the above mentioned. I even put some of these things in a place far from the house, in a vacant area, to see what my dog would do when we walked through there. Absolutely no reaction whatsoever. No change in behavior and certainly no avoidance.

Water soluble beef 'boullion' cubes for making beef soups etc.and toss them over the fence to your neighbours lawn.....when it is raining. Those 'beef nuggets' dissolve and the dogs start digging to find where that tasty smell is coming from. The neighbour becomes exasperated with his dogs digging up his yard and eventually gets rid of his dogs.

Best dog I had was with a coconut curry 'lat cao'.

....Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the use of pepper spray in Thailand wikipedia (which isn't necessarily flawless) says:

Usage for self-defense is legal, and it is freely available in stores.

• Possession in a public place can be punished by confiscation and a fine.

So if you use it in a private space — like when dogs invade your turf — it should be ok.

Good luck

I have a lawn inside my property and 3 dogs also in side

1 has no interest in the lawn or digging the other 2 well?!!!!facepalm.gif

Your only real option is to fence it