What are the downsides of letting my US driver's license expire?

Hal65

I do not drive in Thailand. I've been here 2 years and plan to stay long term. What are the downsides (if any) of letting a valid US driver's license expire if I live over here?

Your Thai DL is honored in America. I rented a car there last December so I see no downside. As a former California resident keeping your CDL might make it more difficult in not paying cali state income tax, for example.

Not too much of a worry really but you might/probably will have to retest if you ever want a new one.

I went back to the States last year with a license that was 4 months expired (in my state they give you a six months grace period) and they renewed it for me for another four years.

Do you have a Thai drivers license? I assume not, since you do not drive in Thailand. If your US drivers license expires you can not drive anywhere anymore.

Up to you to decide if this is an issue. Personally I would try to get a new license. You never know if you like to drive again. But I do not know how much trouble it is to get a new one while living in Thailand.

I do not know if there are situations that require two forms of valid idenitification papers. More likely they want a prove of residence or work permit.

Downside is everything. Not having a license can be a problem when you travel. Take your US one and get a Thai one. Process is simple. Then Let your US expire and keep up with the Thai one. Not having a drivers license limits too many options for the future.

Good to know, thanks.

Have you guys ever been in a situation in Thailand that required 2 forms of current/valid ID? That's the one thing that concerns me.

First step is to get your Thai driver's before your US license expires. With my valid California DL at the time, I did not need an IDL or take the physical Thai driver's test. My CDL has now expired and I see no downsides. My Thai DL is used as my ID when checking in at hotels or sometimes at getting the Thai price at events.

I got my Thai DL before my US one expired. Easy process. I've used it now for renting cars in a variety of countries around the world. No problems so far! But if you do drive here, be sure to get a license. Your insurance won't cover you otherwise.

As for ID, you've got a passport and a Thai DL. Should be all you need.

Good to know, thanks.

Have you guys ever been in a situation in Thailand that required 2 forms of current/valid ID? That's the one thing that concerns me.

Never had to show 2 forms of ID in my 10+ years of living here. Usually my Thai drivers license is good for checking in to hotels. For banking and other legal IDs I use my passport.

As has been noted, getting a Thai DL as soon as possible is a very good idea. The process is fairly straightforward and it's a pretty versatile document.

Secondly, if you're really concerned, some states will allow you to renew your US license by mail. I've done this before.

Third, if you feel the need for another form of US ID consider getting a passport card. They're intended for exiting/entering the US via land crossings (i.e. Canada and Mexico) and won't do you much good here. But it is still a US government issued photo ID.

Good to know, thanks.

Never in all the years I've been in Thailand and most places prefer a DL over a passport.

Best to renew your drivers license. Depending on your age and state you might be able to renew on line through the motor vehicle dept. They will mail you a new license.

Not having a valid drivers license from your home country is a real problem getting a Thai drivers license. I had to go to Like English Thai driving school and it is very time consuming and challenging. The new written exam and driving test is not as simple as one would think. In fact out of 200 applicants only 20 of us passed the first time. Thai banks and hotels do accept a valid Thai drivers license for identification. A Thai license may get you a discount on costly products in Thailand.

It's important to understand how important it is to have a valid drivers license from your home country when it comes to applying for the new international ID card. Everyone should research this topic. In the future, not having an international ID card may prevent you from flying or boarding any federal transportation vehicle even if you have a passport. Needless to say it's a very hot topic now. Not all states have agreed to it.

A day may come when you need to rent a vehicle and without a valid drivers license you would be out of luck. From time to time all banks also ask for a valid drivers license for identification when wiring money. In the event you lost your passport, it's always nice to have a back up valid ID with the photo.

If you have a retirement visa you are required to have a Thai drivers license when operating a motor vehicle here.

Edited by Kabula

Good to know, thanks.

Never had to show 2 forms of ID in my 10+ years of living here. Usually my Thai drivers license is good for checking in to hotels. For banking and other legal IDs I use my passport.

I do know that I showed my passport to open my bank account here, but since then I just give them my Thai DL, which has my passport number on it. Your passport number is what they really want. Works fine for me. (Other banks may be different, as not everything is consistent here).

I did renew my US DL last time i was back but it has since expired... I really have no need for it - but having a Thai DL is helpful. I have never been asked for my passport and as others say, I use it to check into hotels and such...

No longer being a home owner in USA, I would not even want to rent a vehicle there if I went back...

I might have missed this but there are at least Two Thai DL's that may concern you.

One for a car and another for a M/C. There are more for public vehicles, taxi's, M/C taxi's etc but I doubt they would be of interest.

If your current home country DL allows both M/C & Car and you wanted the same permission to drive, you would need to buy Two Thai DL's

An easy process to obtain but you will need a proof of address document.

The initial license period when I got mine was 1 year. Then after it expired, it was able to be renewed and that was for five years.

Thereafter every five years.

I had to pass the reaction and colour blindness tests.

Auto insurance include basing premium rates on how long you have consistently obtained a valid driver's license! If you allow you license to expire it can very likely count against you and you might wind up paying a high insurance premium, similar to a new driver.

Also, although you are living in Thailand, you should maintain a California residential address. There is no need to report you are/were living abroad.

Check this Ca. DMV link for possible internet renewal options.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_rdc

Other than not being able to drive a car in the US, without a Thai or other foreign license, not much. Your passport can serve for ID in any case where a driver's license is required. However,you migvht want to check your States online DMV site as often renewals can be done there or through the mail so you don't have to be present at renewal to keep your license. I eventually did let mine expire but got an official state ID card instead, which I could get without being physically present or take any tests.

Your Thai DL is honored in America. I rented a car there last December so I see no downside. As a former California resident keeping your CDL might make it more difficult in not paying cali state income tax, for example.

Having a CA DL or ID card is not the test of residency for CA income tax purposes. It's the number of days per year you reside in the state.

I had a DL and now an ID card from California for the entirity of my 15+ years in Thailand, and told the FTB to F-off after the first year, and never heard from those weasels again ?

According to http://www.pattayaunlimited.com/get-thai-driving-licence-in-pattaya/ I need the following documents for the Thai DL (along with the passport/current US DL):

4. A letter from immigration ‘Jomtien Soi 5’ to verify your address, or from your embassy, letter must not be older than 30 days old
5. A rental agreement, utility bills or anything you can which includes both your name and address. The more the better.
6. Signed copies of your passport pages
a. front page,
b. visa page,
c. entry stamp
d. T.M. card, (arrival & departure card)
7. A doctors certificate (not more than 30 days old) you can get this from any clinic, just tell them you are applying for a Thai driving license

Do I really need that letter from Immigration? Or is it enough to bring a copy of my lease document?

Edited by Hal65

You've had some good responses, but my experience has been a bit different. My Thai DL was rejected by the car rental company 6-8 yrs. ago. I had booked the car about a month before the trip, so we had a really good price. Luckily, my wife has gotten her international DL (only good for one yr.), so we were able to rent the vehicle and go on our way. A foot note to this is that my TX DL was still valid, but I never received the DL card. So I was 'okay' to drive once I went to TX-DPS and got a new temporary.

Since that time I've let the TX DL expire, which means that always have to go get an International when I go to the USA. (I'm glad others have had success renting, but you could end up with the Rental Manager we encountered and then you're screwed). If you read the fine print on those car contracts, since on the Thai DL your home address is on Thai you're suppose to obtain an International DL and show it. (still no home address in English, but it's in the contract.)

It's a hassle to get the Intl DL. It requires you to get a notarized/certified notification of address, Visa photos and pay the fees, etc.

It's a hassle to renew the now expired TX DL. According to what I've read, I'll probably have to re-test to obtain one. Maybe you've family who can help you out with that (drive you to the DPS office, loan you the car for the test, etc.). I don't, which means I've got to rent one, which means I've got to have a valid Int'l DL.

Good luck!

I have a Florida DL, a Thai Dl. an international driving permit from AAA, a USA passport , and a USA passport card. I'm pretty well covered but then that's just me. Keep them in different places just in case of theft, fire, flood or whatever.

You've had some good responses, but my experience has been a bit different. My Thai DL was rejected by the car rental company 6-8 yrs. ago. I had booked the car about a month before the trip, so we had a really good price. Luckily, my wife has gotten her international DL (only good for one yr.), so we were able to rent the vehicle and go on our way. A foot note to this is that my TX DL was still valid, but I never received the DL card. So I was 'okay' to drive once I went to TX-DPS and got a new temporary.

Since that time I've let the TX DL expire, which means that always have to go get an International when I go to the USA. (I'm glad others have had success renting, but you could end up with the Rental Manager we encountered and then you're screwed). If you read the fine print on those car contracts, since on the Thai DL your home address is on Thai you're suppose to obtain an International DL and show it. (still no home address in English, but it's in the contract.)

It's a hassle to get the Intl DL. It requires you to get a notarized/certified notification of address, Visa photos and pay the fees, etc.

It's a hassle to renew the now expired TX DL. According to what I've read, I'll probably have to re-test to obtain one. Maybe you've family who can help you out with that (drive you to the DPS office, loan you the car for the test, etc.). I don't, which means I've got to rent one, which means I've got to have a valid Int'l DL.

Good luck!

At least in CA, any valid foreign DL is good for up to 3 months (stay longer and must get local DL). Of course, rental car agencies are allowed to have their own additional requirements as well. It might be that the rental agency where your Thai license was rejected might be because of an excessive loss claim rate with Thai licensed drivers therefore they don't accept them ?

As well as checking up on the validity of foreign DLs in the state(s) one may traverse, it's also a good idea to check the website of your rental agency to see what their policy is regarding foreign licenses.

If you ever want to open a new bank account in the US without visiting, you can do so when you have a valid US drivers license - can't do even with a valid US passport.

You still have to have a valid US address. A PO box won't work. And if you have a passport, and a valid address, you can open an account without a valid DL.